For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
ayteentee's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 3:46 AM

At&t won't give me refund and won't cite policy stating why.

For those that dont want to read -  General Question that needs to be answered: What's the *OFFICIAL* Refund Policy for a Non-Returned Receiver Fee? And can you provide the source to be cited?

Hi, so my issue is that I am returning a receiver to At&t after their 21 day policy, which means they'll charge me $150 but refund me as long as I return it. I called At&t before returning it to verify this, however, upon returning it, they refused to refund me.

The policy which is on the website states:

"AT&T Policy for In-Warranty Returns - It's best to begin your return within 10 days of your notice to return equipment to avoid any non-return charges to your account. If you do not return your equipment in undamaged condition within 21 days of the service change/disconnect date, an equipment non-return charge of $150 per item will be billed to your account or credit card on file. If you return equipment after 21 days, allow one to two billing cycle for the non-return charges to be removed."

Source: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409172&cv=803&_requestid=735018

If this isn't the correct policy, can you state what and where the correct *Official* refund policy for a non-returned receiver is? Is there a max time limit you have to return the item by in order to receive a refund? 

Every rep I have spoken to says they can't find an official policy. Are businesses required to provide customers what their fees and official policies are for returns, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

9 years ago

@ayteentee wrote:

Thank you for the response, however, I am not "terminating service" as your response suggested. Rather, I am simply "returning equipment", so I'm not sure if your answer still applies. To clarify, I had 3 receivers and only used 2, so I decided to return the 3rd non used receiver, but did it after 21 days. 

I'm assuming these are the Uverse TOS you quoted: https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/termsofservice.html - which seem to be referring to rules if terminating service, which I am not. 

On the other hand, the link I quoted is directly from "How to return U-verse equipment": http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409172&cv=813 - Since I am not TERMINATING SERVICE, it seems the rules listed here pertain more directly to my situation of just RETURNING EQUIPMENT, and imply that after 21 days I am to be given a refund without any max time limit to return equipment by. Please correct me if I am misled.

In the terms of service it also says, "In addition to termination of service, these return of equipment provisions apply if your existing equipment is replaced or upgraded for any reason."

The article you're reading is not meant to be an in-depth explanation of the ins and outs of your agreement with AT&T.

The fact is, you have 21 days to return equipment to AT&T. If you do not, you are billed $150 per piece of equipment. If you're billed, AT&T gives you an additional 90 days to send the equipment back and get that charge reversed. If someone misses that deadline, the charge is permanent. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

9 years ago

@my thoughts wrote:

if I understand your second post correctly, you are an active account with three receivers and either wish to or have returned 1 receiver (currently $9 per month charge).

if so, then billable charge should stop once the company has received the receiver and verified not damaged.... If equipment has been retained by you but not used the monthly charge would continue to apply, no refund on unused equipment in your possession.

If equipment has been received (you have tracking number from UPS store front verifing same) with continued charges after received then agree should be given refund. If this is your present case a PM to customer care group may be next step.

Edit:

The 21 day policy from Uverse TOS I first referred to applies if cancel service or have a replacement equipment (RG or receiver) shipped to you and you are to return the original by using a UPS store front. Lost, stolen or damaged (fire/water for example) would be charged the fee.

Your original post, if understand correctly, refers to notice given of wish to return receiver (lower monthly payment), but failed to ship the receiver within 21 days and was billed $150, is this correct? The monthly $9 fee for receiver was removed correct?

As a premise tech this is the first time have heard of this situation. To me I would expect the $9 billing to continue till returned not the $150 charge unless the company position is you notified of intent to return, charge removed from monthly bill, equipment not received within time frame and thus charged for lost equipment.

So then your question becomes, how long after this can you return the equipment and be credited (refunded) the $150 charge... Honestly do not know but using TOS as a guide 6 months seems fair to me.

If someone wishes to return a STB they are no longer using, they have to place a change order. When the change order completes, the STB is deprovisioned and billing stops. The same equipment return policies apply as warranties or cease orders. 

By the way, I'm not sure what copy of the ToS you're looking at, but the refund period changed to 90 days over 3 years ago. See section 6: https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/termsofservice.html

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you for the response, however, I am not "terminating service" as your response suggested. Rather, I am simply "returning equipment", so I'm not sure if your answer still applies. To clarify, I had 3 receivers and only used 2, so I decided to return the 3rd non used receiver, but did it after 21 days. 

I'm assuming these are the Uverse TOS you quoted: https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/termsofservice.html - which seem to be referring to rules if terminating service, which I am not. 

On the other hand, the link I quoted is directly from "How to return U-verse equipment": http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409172&cv=813 - Since I am not TERMINATING SERVICE, it seems the rules listed here pertain more directly to my situation of just RETURNING EQUIPMENT, and imply that after 21 days I am to be given a refund without any max time limit to return equipment by. Please correct me if I am misled.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

9 years ago

Since you have an open account, it would appear that they should just credit the amount to your account (within 2 billing cycles).  This credit balance could be used to offset future charges.  Getting a refund check would seem to be an unnecessary complication.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks JefferMC for your input, but it seems your statement is directly in opposition to what MicCheck just mentioned. Does that mean you don't agree with him and feel I should follow up with this more with an employee and push for a credit to my account?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

ATT is not a "user" friendly company.  The service in our household is HORRIBLE and there has been little work done to resolve the issue.  NOW ATT has changed the due date on my bill without my AUTHORIZATION which has caused a MASSIVE billing issue.  ATT, of course, like all of these huge companies BLAMES THE CUSTOMER for everything.  I am writing a letter to the general counsel of ATT to explain that this "change of due date which impacts the payments" and is in the FAVOR of ATT is not legal.  

I feel your pain.  ATT is just not a good company like Xfinity and all of the other compannies.  This termination charge for a customer that gives a company every chance to perform and the company fails is another consumer issue that we need to BLOCK by protest.  

Changing a contract without the agreement of ALL parties is illegal.  In order to have a contract ALL PARTIES must agree.  And ANY company that includes in their "small print" that they can charge your bank account or impact your credit with FORCED changes is against the constitution of the USA.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

i am an existing customer whom didnt give permission to use my son's disability card to get direct tv service. 

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

7 years ago

@anitaswain

Many unanswered questions:

What sort of DirecTV service uses information from a 'disability card, and what is a 'disability card'?

How did ATT get the information? 

How did they even know that you had a child on disability? 

How did they know his name? 

Is some sort of ID required (like a SS#) to acquire the information from a disability card?

But perhaps you didn't need any help and just wanted to inform the public about your issue with AT&T.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.