For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
kbtiffany's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, March 31st, 2016 1:23 AM

ATT Ripoff of the elderly!

I am trying to cancel all ATT accounts established by my stepmother and my natural father.  My stepmother passed away in September 2015. Afterwards, I took my 87 year old father who has dementia to live with me.  We plan to sell his house as soon as the conservatorship process is complete as again, he is unable take care of himself nor protect himself.  In fact, his stepsons were caught by the bank trying to redeposit his only bank account into their personal account! 

My father cannot call to cancel the service on his own.  I have called ATT explaining this but because the account is in his wifes name, they won't speak to me.  They will speak to my father but he would not understand anything. Since phoning didnt work, I wrote a letter and enclosed it with the bill as well as sent a copy to the address noted on the back of the bill for disputes/questions, etc.  They have never responded.

My father should only be liable for the month of October, 2015, but ATT keeps on billing.  The bill is now over $800 which he does not have that kind of money available to him. 

So ATT, why do you refuse to reach a solution instead of trying to pick the pockets of a senior citizen?

Michael Tiffany

Ref account #: [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

PS: I am in the process of conservatorship but it will take months to complete.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

8 years ago

@MicCheck wrote:

@kbtiffany, just call AT&T and give your father or mother's name (I don't think you gave your gender). Verify the required information, and request the service to be disconnected. Again, they have no idea who they are actually speaking with. If you can verify the account information, then you are good to go.

Therein lies the problem.  If talking about the account requires an answer to a question (ie: What High School did you attend?) or some sort of password, that information is not available, either to the father or the son.  I suppose it would be worth a try but I would not be optimistic.

We all know about HIPAA laws but now non-medical companies have gotten so concerned over privacy, it's becoming more and more difficult to get information even when it's critical.  Look at the iPhone situation in San Bernadino.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.