For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
quartermaester's profile

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

Thursday, July 31st, 2014 11:22 PM

Closed

how to create music choice playlists with U-verse

According to support content: "The Music Choice app gives customers more music choices with up to 46 music channels. The redesigned interface lets you personalize your music, store favorite channels, create your own music and video playlists, and search the library. You can access Music Choice Play (formerly SWRV) within the application - the first 24/7 interactive music network that lets you customize your experience and access thousands of music videos. Music Choice Play offers live commenting and voting through Twitter. So tune in to channels 5100-5146 to begin the ultimate music experience through U-verse TV."

I doubt the app is hidden somewhere within channels 5100-5146. If anybody else has wondered or better yet set up and created their own playlists I'd encourage them to share their experiences!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

Simple... Tune to channel 500.  Press OK.  Scroll over to Search.  Click Search by Artist (or song, don't much care).  Put in some part of the artist name.  Wait.  Select the artist in the list.  Scroll through the list and Select one.  A menu will appear after a second that includes "Add to Playlist".  Click it.  Click on "Create Playlist".

Anything else?

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

10 years ago

First I've gotta say thanks for cluing me in as to precisely *which* particular U-verse channel is required to initiate the create playlists process. You would think that the link I referenced in my original post would be all anyone would need for the task. Why the heck AT&T didn't just come out and state to first begin with channel 500 is beyond me. However, once having navigated to 500 I was disappointed. I was hoping that 'playlists' in Music Choice would look and feel more like I've become accustomed to in Pandora, where entering an artist name would create a new station with similar musical offerings. I was able to create two 'playlists', one for Pat Metheny and another for Bill Evans, but apparently neither of those two artists have any videos associated to them. I'm not interested in videos; background mood tunes were more what I was after. I also struck out with those two in searching for music; the choices were limited to the default Music Choice channels, which I'd already twice added to Favorites and then more successfully in un-hiding them as channel choices. Thanks again for the tip, JefferMC, but in this case it looks like I'll stick to the old, tried and true Pandora via Roku for customized music selection.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

To be honest, I didn't tune to 500 directly.  I actually clicked on the Go Interactive button on the remote and navigated to it that way.  Then I pressed Guide to see if there was a channel as a shortcut and there was.

I hadn't really played with it much, and I got really tired of the same dang commercial that was played over, and over, and over, and over again between songs.  And the content was somewhat limited.  I think that Pandora is probably a better choice for background music.  Or, if you have a pretty decent collection on a Windows PC, you can use the Media Share app to play it from your WMP on your PC.

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

10 years ago

Having just jumped ship from Cox I was familiar with Music Choice. The station selections are nearly identical as are the stagnant, dated photographic background stills and artist bios. We've been with U-verse a little more than a week, so there is much to learn in regards to discovering on-screen menus and their many options. With that said, thanks again for the hint to investigate Media Share (via Go Interactive>Entertainment) as an alternate way around personalized music choices. I was surprised to find the two existing Windows 7 networks listed on screen. The artists and albums displayed but didn't play at first until I went in and tweaked some of the settings. Being the internet/network privacy bug that I am I must admit being somewhat suspicious but am fairly confident that our network is secure. Now to rip more from my CD collection so to add to the archive on the Windows 7 box so I can enjoy more of the music I like on my TV. Thanks again, JefferMC!

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

I'm glad I could help.  Be aware that the STB will go into offline mode after 8 hours of inactivity (i.e. no commands recieved by IR), and your music will quit playing.  This happened to me on my Christmas music playlist on Christmas.  I turned on the playlist and turned off the TV (allowing it to play through the Amplifier) before opening presents, and shortly after cleaning up the lunch dishes the music quit playing.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@quartermaester wrote:
Having just jumped ship from Cox I was familiar with Music Choice. The station selections are nearly identical as are the stagnant, dated photographic background stills and artist bios. We've been with U-verse a little more than a week, so there is much to learn in regards to discovering on-screen menus and their many options. With that said, thanks again for the hint to investigate Media Share (via Go Interactive>Entertainment) as an alternate way around personalized music choices. I was surprised to find the two existing Windows 7 networks listed on screen. The artists and albums displayed but didn't play at first until I went in and tweaked some of the settings. Being theinternet/network privacy bug that I am I must admit being somewhat suspicious but am fairly confident that our network is secure. Now to rip more from my CD collection so to add to the archive on the Windows 7 box so I can enjoy more of the music I like on my TV. Thanks again,JefferMC!

Media Share is the bomb!  I actually have a program installed on my host PC called TVersity and that seems to work better than using Windows Media Player.   TVersity shows up in the lists as a service, when starting Media Share.  TVersity allows Folders, so I have my ripped music collection on my PC in folders (New Stuff, Rock, Country, Oldies etc) and then albums beyond that.  Pretty cool.  Although I have not dabbled with it much, you can use TVersity to add streaming URL's and listen to online radio stations, on your U-Verse boxes! 

Look at post #825 in this blog.  tHeMSUMan "stole" my post from 2010! 🙂  What I wrote is in the grey box.

I will say streaming has gotten more hit and miss but it is a fine "hidden gem."

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

On the topic of playing music through the STB, I played with the U-verse Party app over the weekend.  I must say that I was not impressed.  Never got it to work properly (okay, at all).  I'll probably open a new topic on that.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

On the topic of playing music through the STB, I played with the U-verse Party app over the weekend.  I must say that I was not impressed.  Never got it to work properly (okay, at all).  I'll probably open a new topic on that.

Not surprising, Jeff!  Not sure why AT&T doesn't work out something to allow streaming radio.  It would be a HUGE feather in their cap and i would use it.  It could be that Music Choice may be a stumbling block but they have a golden opportunity to work with an outfit like Iheart, Tune In, Pandora, Rdio, Spotify and the like. 

I'm not sure if you were on here when AT&T had the horrible Urge music service but folks would scoff "Who listens to music through their U-Verse boxes?"  Lots of folks, actually!

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, I was very glad that AT&T finally got the urge to purge Urge.  Music Choice is a much better product than Urge, but Pandora would be better still.  Yet, I have Pandora on my BluRay player, so I don't really need it on my STB.

The Party app seems more "cute" and directed at a much younger age group than mine.  But for me I could never get it to start playing music.

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

10 years ago

I remember listening to Pandora while we were with DirecTv. Only problem there was relying on wireless; the distance between the 2Wire gateway and the TV in my room wasn't exactly the ideal environment. Then too was the 6MB max internet connection. Pandora was no more once we went to back to Cox, which offers Music Choice, but I eventually wound up working it (Pandora) in by using a powerline adapter hooked into a Roku 3. Since the original post I've ripped over a dozen CDs so as to listen to them through U-verse. I noticed last night that it might be possible to incorporate images from photo folders to substitute for the blank, sky blue background you get with Media Share, but something went kablooey and it didn't work out. Will see if further tweaks in the W7 network settings will have a different result. Slight change of subject, but has anyone following this thread had any experience (positive or negative) with Plex and its' media player?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.