wiredupss's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, April 10th, 2014 1:29 PM

connecting a PC to TV thru wireless router or via wireless STB

I would like to find out if it is possible to get my PC to communicate and connect to one of my TV's on the same network.  Only because I have some things downloaded over the internet and would like to enjoy viewing them over the big screen.

Is it possible to do this??

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@wiredupss@  wrote:

I would like to find out if it is possible to get my PC to communicate and connect to one of my TV's on the same network.  Only because I have some things downloaded over the internet and would like to enjoy viewing them over the big screen.

Is it possible to do this??

If you have a "Smart" TV you should be able to accomplish this. The question really isn't communication though, that should happen automatically if both the TV and the computer are on the same network. The real question is are they compatible.

If you're running WIN 7 or 8, and you have media sharing turned on, and all your media located in their default windows folders, you should be able to see your media files from your TV. Whether your TV can actually play the files is based on compatibility. You'll have to check with the TV manufacturer to see what file types are recognized.

If you have a newer, Intel based (chipset, wireless, video) laptop you can potentially use Intel WiDi (wireless display) which can wirelessly stream the actual display from your laptop directly to a wireless capable smart TV (that's compatible with WiDi) with no other network required. This process does not need the TV to be compatible with the file types because it's your laptop that's playing the media.

There is always Sneaker-Net too. Burn your files to a DVD/blueray disc and stick it in your DVD/Bluray player connected to your TV. You should also be able to throw the files on a USB drive (thumb drive or external drive) and just plug it in to your TV. If the file types are compatible, your TV should just pop up and start playing them (your DVD/Bluray player should also have this capability). If you use an external hard drive, use one that has it's own power source, as I sure the USB ports on your TV will not provide enough juice to run it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Gotcha, thank you. I appreciate it.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@wiredupss@  wrote:
Gotcha, thank you. I appreciate it.

No problem, that's what we're here for, helping each other.

Be sure to stop back if you have any other questions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.