Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 12, 2013
9:21:33 AM
View profile
User not authorized error on ipad for WatchESPN app

Anytime I try to watch a video on my iPad, I get a user not authorized error, I'm using same credentials I use on my android phone and it works fine on that platform. I need help making it work on my iPad. I have logged in, logged out and log back in, uninstalled and reinstalled application. I called AT&T and they want to charge me $40 to help :smileyangry:

Anytime I try to watch a video on my iPad, I get a user not authorized error, I'm using same credentials I use on my android phone and it works fine on that platform. I need help making it work on my iPad. I have logged in, logged out and log back in, uninstalled and reinstalled application. I called AT&T and they want to charge me $40 to help :smileyangry:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 5, 2013 5:04:04 PM
(0)
Community Support
Edited by ATTJulieCS on Jan 19, 2015 at 1:56:02 PM

I have seen other people state the same thing, and after factory resetting their iPAD, it started working. Some were able to find the conflicting app that caused the issue. Hopefully, it will be a fix as simple as deleting a previous app.

Quite a few iPad users have been having this problem with all the providers. The best thread I could find that might help stated that if your iPad is jail-broken, something called xvcon will help with getting the app to work. Also, someone else found out that LandscapeVideos causes the WatchESPN app to not work. After he uninstalled it, it started working.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

User not authorized error on ipad for WatchESPN app

29 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(29)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2013 10:26:38 AM
(0)
Employee

Hi, 3cutiger

Apologizes for the delayed response. I did some research on any WatchESPN authentication issues and I just wanted to make sure that your iPad is updated to the latest iOS software? The latest version for mobile Apple products at this time is Version "6.1.3"

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi, 3cutiger

Apologizes for the delayed response. I did some research on any WatchESPN authentication issues and I just wanted to make sure that your iPad is updated to the latest iOS software? The latest version for mobile Apple products at this time is Version "6.1.3"

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: User not authorized error on ipad for WatchESPN app

2 of 30 (23,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2013 4:48:19 AM
(0)
Teacher

Morgan

thanks for replying, it is the latest iOS,yes

Morgan

thanks for replying, it is the latest iOS,yes

3 of 30 (23,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2013 7:31:54 AM
(0)
Employee

You're welcome and thank you for confirming that.

I'm testing out a few solutions here on my end as well (I also have U-verse and I'm using the app on an iPhone). Would you mind confirming if your iPad can sign into the WatchESPN website using your browser? If so, try playing a video and see if it still gives you the "User not authorized" error message. Thank you! Smiley Happy

You're welcome and thank you for confirming that.

I'm testing out a few solutions here on my end as well (I also have U-verse and I'm using the app on an iPhone). Would you mind confirming if your iPad can sign into the WatchESPN website using your browser? If so, try playing a video and see if it still gives you the "User not authorized" error message. Thank you! Smiley Happy

4 of 30 (23,755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 8:07:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have Uverse internet and get a "User not Authorized Error" on my laptop and my iPhone

Whats the trick to getting it to work?

thx

I have Uverse internet and get a "User not Authorized Error" on my laptop and my iPhone

Whats the trick to getting it to work?

thx

WatchESPN issues

5 of 30 (25,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 11:09:50 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi yimyammer,

Do you have the TV service, also? In order to have a WatchESPN through U-verse, you have to have a package with the ESPN channel.

Hi yimyammer,

Do you have the TV service, also? In order to have a WatchESPN through U-verse, you have to have a package with the ESPN channel.

Re: WatchESPN issues

6 of 30 (25,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 12:15:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

No TV service, interne only.  We have Direct TV but it wasnt set up through AT&T, if we have DirectTV set up through ATT, does it give access?

Also, previously in this thread, you said:

"You may be on ESPN3 which is available to anyone with internet service."

I went to ESPN3 and get the same error message

thank you

No TV service, interne only.  We have Direct TV but it wasnt set up through AT&T, if we have DirectTV set up through ATT, does it give access?

Also, previously in this thread, you said:

"You may be on ESPN3 which is available to anyone with internet service."

I went to ESPN3 and get the same error message

thank you

7 of 30 (25,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 12:38:53 PM
(0)
Community Support

Unfortunately, although we work with DirectTV to offer TV service, we still work as separate companies. I did some research and it appears that ESPN is only offering WatchESPN to certain companies to subscribers that have ESPN, and DirectTV is not one of them.

To answer your question about ESPN3, you need to have an account with ESPN3 to watch the events. Having a WatchESPN account provides you access to ESPN3. The ESPN3 service is regulated through ESPN, so unfortunately, just having an account with us does not provide you access to it, but these instructions should help you out:

1. Go to http://espn.go.com/espn3/index

2. Click on Watch Now.

3. Select ATT from the ISP drop down menu. Click Continue.

4. On the ATT login screen, select Sign Up Now.

5. Follow instructions to create a NEW, FREE account.

6. Go to http://espn.go.com/espn3/index

7. Click on Watch Now.

8. Select ATT from the ISP drop down menu. Click Continue.

9. On the ATT login screen, and login to ATT with the account you just created.

10. You now have access to ESPN3 video.

This worked for me before U-verse was part of the group that had access to WatchESPN. It does sound odd because you are creating an ATT account when you already have one.

Unfortunately, although we work with DirectTV to offer TV service, we still work as separate companies. I did some research and it appears that ESPN is only offering WatchESPN to certain companies to subscribers that have ESPN, and DirectTV is not one of them.

To answer your question about ESPN3, you need to have an account with ESPN3 to watch the events. Having a WatchESPN account provides you access to ESPN3. The ESPN3 service is regulated through ESPN, so unfortunately, just having an account with us does not provide you access to it, but these instructions should help you out:

1. Go to http://espn.go.com/espn3/index

2. Click on Watch Now.

3. Select ATT from the ISP drop down menu. Click Continue.

4. On the ATT login screen, select Sign Up Now.

5. Follow instructions to create a NEW, FREE account.

6. Go to http://espn.go.com/espn3/index

7. Click on Watch Now.

8. Select ATT from the ISP drop down menu. Click Continue.

9. On the ATT login screen, and login to ATT with the account you just created.

10. You now have access to ESPN3 video.

This worked for me before U-verse was part of the group that had access to WatchESPN. It does sound odd because you are creating an ATT account when you already have one.

8 of 30 (25,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 1:24:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you very much for your timely and helpful reply.  AT&T needs to clone you infinitely

That did the trick for me, watching now on ESPN3

Well done & thanks again!

Thank you very much for your timely and helpful reply.  AT&T needs to clone you infinitely

That did the trick for me, watching now on ESPN3

Well done & thanks again!

9 of 30 (25,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 1:49:30 PM
(0)
Community Support

You're welcome. Glad we could help.

You're welcome. Glad we could help.

10 of 30 (25,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2013 6:46:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

WHen I try to watch on browser it forces me to open app and I get same error

WHen I try to watch on browser it forces me to open app and I get same error

11 of 30 (23,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2013 4:38:42 PM
(0)
Community Support

One thing that might be an issue is if you are logging in with a sub-account. I have noticed with the sub-account, it works with certain systems but not with others, mainly working on the web based version, instead of the app.

Also, you may want to try to go through the steps in this thread

It is not quite the same, as you do not get the full access of WatchESPN, but it will help determine if there may be an issue with WatchESPN on the iPAD.

One thing that might be an issue is if you are logging in with a sub-account. I have noticed with the sub-account, it works with certain systems but not with others, mainly working on the web based version, instead of the app.

Also, you may want to try to go through the steps in this thread

It is not quite the same, as you do not get the full access of WatchESPN, but it will help determine if there may be an issue with WatchESPN on the iPAD.

12 of 30 (23,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2013 4:46:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

As soon as I click the watch ESPN button, I get a screen directing me to open the app, no drop down.

I've tried doing it by requesting a desktop site, but doing it that way requires flash, which can't do on ipad

The log in isn't a sub account, same info I used on my android phone

Sent from my iPad

As soon as I click the watch ESPN button, I get a screen directing me to open the app, no drop down.

I've tried doing it by requesting a desktop site, but doing it that way requires flash, which can't do on ipad

The log in isn't a sub account, same info I used on my android phone

Sent from my iPad

13 of 30 (23,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2013 4:50:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

Just used same sign on info on sons iPod touch and it worked

Has to be something on my ipad wrong

Sent from my iPad

Just used same sign on info on sons iPod touch and it worked

Has to be something on my ipad wrong

Sent from my iPad

14 of 30 (23,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 5, 2013 5:04:04 PM
(0)
Community Support
Edited by ATTJulieCS on Jan 19, 2015 at 1:56:02 PM

I have seen other people state the same thing, and after factory resetting their iPAD, it started working. Some were able to find the conflicting app that caused the issue. Hopefully, it will be a fix as simple as deleting a previous app.

Quite a few iPad users have been having this problem with all the providers. The best thread I could find that might help stated that if your iPad is jail-broken, something called xvcon will help with getting the app to work. Also, someone else found out that LandscapeVideos causes the WatchESPN app to not work. After he uninstalled it, it started working.

[ Edited ]
15 of 30 (23,757 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2013 6:56:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

Tried a factory reset, still did not work

I'm at a loss

Sent from my iPad

Tried a factory reset, still did not work

I'm at a loss

Sent from my iPad

16 of 30 (23,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 11:26:43 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi 3cutiger,

I have been doing further research on it, and it appears that quite a few iPad users have been having this problem with all the providers. The best thread I could find that might help stated that if your iPad is jail-broken, something called xvcon will help with getting the app to work. Also, someone else found out that LandscapeVideos causes the WatchESPN app to not work. After he uninstalled it, it started working.

Hi 3cutiger,

I have been doing further research on it, and it appears that quite a few iPad users have been having this problem with all the providers. The best thread I could find that might help stated that if your iPad is jail-broken, something called xvcon will help with getting the app to work. Also, someone else found out that LandscapeVideos causes the WatchESPN app to not work. After he uninstalled it, it started working.

17 of 30 (23,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 7:04:43 AM
(0)
Teacher

Well, glory be, it all the sudden started working.  Did notice that in the updates on the app page at the store, the last update dealt with Uverse issues, so maybe that is what it was?

Thanks so much for the advice.

Well, glory be, it all the sudden started working.  Did notice that in the updates on the app page at the store, the last update dealt with Uverse issues, so maybe that is what it was?

Thanks so much for the advice.

18 of 30 (23,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 10:46:49 AM
(0)
Community Support

Thanks for keeping us posted 3cutiger. This will probably save a lot of people with the same issue a lot of trouble.

Thanks for keeping us posted 3cutiger. This will probably save a lot of people with the same issue a lot of trouble.

19 of 30 (23,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2013 11:27:42 AM
(0)
Contributor

Doesn't work.

I'm Uverse Internet and Uverse TV Basic subscriber with no ESPN. Get the User Not Authorized Error on WatchESPN live games. Any help?

Doesn't work.

I'm Uverse Internet and Uverse TV Basic subscriber with no ESPN. Get the User Not Authorized Error on WatchESPN live games. Any help?

20 of 30 (25,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2013 12:28:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
emartrock - If you have no ESPN TV, ESPN does not grant complete access to on-line viewing. There may be some programing available for free. Most requires an ESPN TV subscription. I have seen posts that say it requires U200.
emartrock - If you have no ESPN TV, ESPN does not grant complete access to on-line viewing. There may be some programing available for free. Most requires an ESPN TV subscription. I have seen posts that say it requires U200.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

21 of 30 (25,726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2013 5:58:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am receiving a "User not Authorized Error" when trying to watch a show on AMC on my laptop. I have logged in, but keep getting this error. I have uverse TV and internet. Any fix for this?

I am receiving a "User not Authorized Error" when trying to watch a show on AMC on my laptop. I have logged in, but keep getting this error. I have uverse TV and internet. Any fix for this?

AMC "User not Authorized Error"

22 of 30 (23,963 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2013 2:12:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same issues. "Not authorized user" I have read the comments on here and everything is what it is supposed to be. I have an iPad with the updated OS. I'm logged in, have the updated WatchESPN app, etc. Not sure what esle to do.

Jason

I am having the same issues. "Not authorized user" I have read the comments on here and everything is what it is supposed to be. I have an iPad with the updated OS. I'm logged in, have the updated WatchESPN app, etc. Not sure what esle to do.

Jason

23 of 30 (19,252 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 11:51:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am still getting this same error.  It also occurs with FOX NOW and Golf Live Extra as well as the WatchESPN app.  I cannot log into any of these streaming providers and I have U-Verse U300.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When you click on the sign up now button it gives you a Registration not available at this time error.  When you actually log in using your AT&T credentials it gives you the please contact your provider error.

Any help?

I am still getting this same error.  It also occurs with FOX NOW and Golf Live Extra as well as the WatchESPN app.  I cannot log into any of these streaming providers and I have U-Verse U300.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When you click on the sign up now button it gives you a Registration not available at this time error.  When you actually log in using your AT&T credentials it gives you the please contact your provider error.

Any help?

24 of 30 (21,571 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2015 7:56:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

Need Help.  I have Uverse 300 with all ESPN channels.. Since my move I cannot access Watch ESPN on my computer via browser.

Thanks

Need Help.  I have Uverse 300 with all ESPN channels.. Since my move I cannot access Watch ESPN on my computer via browser.

Thanks

User not Authorized Error - Watch ESPN

25 of 30 (2,802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2015 10:55:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

jon9116 wrote:

Thanks

Click the ATT Customer Care link in my signature, send the PM, explain your Watch ESPN situation.

Include your name, account #, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right on every page, for their reply. Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

jon9116 wrote:

Thanks

Click the ATT Customer Care link in my signature, send the PM, explain your Watch ESPN situation.

Include your name, account #, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right on every page, for their reply. Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: User not Authorized Error - Watch ESPN

26 of 30 (2,766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2015 4:56:01 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by VforValens on May 29, 2015 at 4:56:42 PM

I am a customer for the U450 package and have received a User not Authorized Error when logging into the WatchESPN web site. It automatically logs me in through the U-Verse Internet connection, I assume, without a prompt for a user ID or password.

I went through AT&T technical support but the agent told me it was not on AT&T's side, that it was indeed ESPN's fault...I somehow, find that conclusion illogical as if I am unauthorized then it has to be coming from AT&T's side, as AT&T is who my TV subscription comes through...just looking for some more input and any possible solutions to the problem.

I am a customer for the U450 package and have received a User not Authorized Error when logging into the WatchESPN web site. It automatically logs me in through the U-Verse Internet connection, I assume, without a prompt for a user ID or password.

I went through AT&T technical support but the agent told me it was not on AT&T's side, that it was indeed ESPN's fault...I somehow, find that conclusion illogical as if I am unauthorized then it has to be coming from AT&T's side, as AT&T is who my TV subscription comes through...just looking for some more input and any possible solutions to the problem.

WatchESPN not authorized

[ Edited ]
27 of 30 (2,733 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2015 5:25:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I had the same problem & called ESPN cust svc & they said to do a password reset on the ESPN screen & it worked.

I had the same problem & called ESPN cust svc & they said to do a password reset on the ESPN screen & it worked.

Re: WatchESPN not authorized

28 of 30 (2,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2015 5:31:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

No go. Changed it twice, though it took me to the actual ESPN web site. Also tried changing the UVerse password.

No go. Changed it twice, though it took me to the actual ESPN web site. Also tried changing the UVerse password.

Re: WatchESPN not authorized

29 of 30 (2,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2015 9:22:48 AM
(0)
Tutor
Watch ESPN won't work
Error message, on any device, is "Unable to play video"
"You are not authorized to play this content. Please contact your provider."
It is a similar message when trying to stream on apps like FoxNow.
We have U-Verse TV, including ESPN, and Internet.
Please help us!
Watch ESPN won't work
Error message, on any device, is "Unable to play video"
"You are not authorized to play this content. Please contact your provider."
It is a similar message when trying to stream on apps like FoxNow.
We have U-Verse TV, including ESPN, and Internet.
Please help us!

30 of 30 (5,434 Views)