For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
rossi141's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, March 12th, 2014 11:59 PM

Use UVerse App (iPhone) when AT&T are not ISP

Hi All - I use AT&T U-Verse as my TV provider, but not as my ISP (ISP is TWC for good reasons that I will not go into here). I want to use the U-Verse App, but I can not use the "local features" - I can not even connect to my receivers locally.

To set this up, I basically ended up having 2 DHCP servers - one is the AT&T 2WIRE device and one is my own DHCP server. On my own DHCP server (dnsmasq), I have narrowed the DHCP scope, and told it to ignore the MAC addresses that belong to my AT&T receivers. The 2WIRE, I have given a DHCP scope outside of my normal DHCP scope, but on the same subnet, and I have allowed a range of 2 IP addresses, and statically assigned them to my 2 receivers. So, my 2 receivers are on the same subnet as the rest of my home network, but have a different gateway (to the AT&T network). Everything works fine (TV etc), however, when I attempt to detect my receivers from my iPhone, they are not found and I get the message "U-verse wireless gateway not found". I am not using a U-Verse wireless gateway (my house is wired for network). I can ping my receivers correctly on my local subnet, and I can access the 2WIRE device by http.

I can not watch HD channels from my iPhone. I get the message "Channel XXX - can only be watched while you are connectd to your home network". Clearly I am connected to my home network.

This leads me to believe that I need to potentially access something through the 2WIRE. Is this true? If so, what is that "something"? (is there an IP range that I need to statically route through my 2WIRE?) 

What else is missing? Are there DHCP options that I need to add in? 

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

That sucks - so AT&T can not give me the internet service that I need, but require it to have my UVerse app work correctly...thats plain silly!

Thanks for the assistance though.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Absolutely ridiculous everything one has to go through to get the app to work. Why have it? Why advertise it? I called three times yesterday and no one new how this thing worked. I was transferred sveral times and one person even told me to call my wireless provider. Why? Another told me it did not work on Iphones? It says it does. The links for help in the email someone sent me said web page not available. It looks like the premium channles are easy to get, the local channels impossible to get.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

For a novice like me who pays out of the whazoo every month for premium channels, all of the above DHCP server issues flies straight over my gead. i downloaded the app. I get most of the premium channels like Encore, AMC to play fine. Fugeddabout the local channels. I get the option of recording them, learning about the cast and crew, but can't watch them. Say i want to watch "Judge Judy" which comes on at 4 PM on our NBC affiliate here locally. It will show the show, but I can't watch it. When I hit the little arrow with the TV up right, it does nothing. When I hit the arrow that says "watch" lower right, it reverts back to the last premium channel I had just watched. This app needs a little work done to make it user friendly.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

I do not think AT&T has an agreement in place to broadcast local channels live (or recorded) on any device other than the IPTV receivers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.