Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 14, 2013
7:51:40 AM
View profile
Interactive feature for on-demand

The new interactive feature for on-demand recordings is so much slower and provides less information than the old listings. I tried to contact U-verse TV, but they make is near impossible to make comments. Is anyone out the from AT&T U-verse listening? This new feature is not as useful or user friendly.

The new interactive feature for on-demand recordings is so much slower and provides less information than the old listings. I tried to contact U-verse TV, but they make is near impossible to make comments. Is anyone out the from AT&T U-verse listening? This new feature is not as useful or user friendly.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 14, 2013 2:36:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Here are some pics from the list view:

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Interactive feature for on-demand

43 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(43)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2013 8:07:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

marcindublin wrote:

Having now played with the new On-Demand UI, I'm at a loss to answer the simple question:

Why?

The new UI  is slower than the old one and doesn't appear to offer new functionality. Poster  mode is unusable because it is slow, and I can't read the tiny little poster  icons anyway. The old UI was perfectly functional.

If AT*T wanted to improve the on-demand offerings, they need to improve the content offerings which are anemic and always have been.

It's a little frustrating because there are usability issues up and down the UI. A look at these boards over the years would have provided suggestions for meaningful changes.  Closed Captions, additional options for series recordings and easier ways to hide channels and define favorites come to mind. To spend development dollars fixing something that arguably was working just fine seems silly to me.

I agree that "why?" is the perfect question for AT&T.  I do think that it may be a combination of things, such as wanting to make it look like Netflix or a Video Store and maybe Comcast Envy and somebody wanted some job security, so they said, "let's have OUR team, re-invent the wheel."  Some big companies want and utilize customers buy in and some don't.  AT&T, IMO did not.  Some companies test things out before implementing and some don't.  Again, IMO AT&T did not.

Now, my daighter, who is new to U-Verse likes the new layout and since she has never used the old search feature, has nothing to level set it's slowness (to us) against.

marcindublin wrote:

Having now played with the new On-Demand UI, I'm at a loss to answer the simple question:

Why?

The new UI  is slower than the old one and doesn't appear to offer new functionality. Poster  mode is unusable because it is slow, and I can't read the tiny little poster  icons anyway. The old UI was perfectly functional.

If AT*T wanted to improve the on-demand offerings, they need to improve the content offerings which are anemic and always have been.

It's a little frustrating because there are usability issues up and down the UI. A look at these boards over the years would have provided suggestions for meaningful changes.  Closed Captions, additional options for series recordings and easier ways to hide channels and define favorites come to mind. To spend development dollars fixing something that arguably was working just fine seems silly to me.

I agree that "why?" is the perfect question for AT&T.  I do think that it may be a combination of things, such as wanting to make it look like Netflix or a Video Store and maybe Comcast Envy and somebody wanted some job security, so they said, "let's have OUR team, re-invent the wheel."  Some big companies want and utilize customers buy in and some don't.  AT&T, IMO did not.  Some companies test things out before implementing and some don't.  Again, IMO AT&T did not.

Now, my daighter, who is new to U-Verse likes the new layout and since she has never used the old search feature, has nothing to level set it's slowness (to us) against.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Interactive feature for on-demand

31 of 44 (712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2013 9:31:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

32 of 44 (675 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2013 4:32:48 PM
(0)
Contributor
Honestly.. It's hard to assess whether the UI is good or not because of the PERFORMANCE BEING HORRIBLE!! This is useless.. Time to consider canceling Uverse. Amazon streaming and Netflix certainly fill the on-demand gap, and I think I can get a faster / cheaper Internet connection elsewhere. Only question left - do I care enough about the weekly programming I watch? Hmm.. Convince me to stay AT&T?
Honestly.. It's hard to assess whether the UI is good or not because of the PERFORMANCE BEING HORRIBLE!! This is useless.. Time to consider canceling Uverse. Amazon streaming and Netflix certainly fill the on-demand gap, and I think I can get a faster / cheaper Internet connection elsewhere. Only question left - do I care enough about the weekly programming I watch? Hmm.. Convince me to stay AT&T?

33 of 44 (628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2013 4:40:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Why should we convince you, were just users like you.  Personally I have no problem at all w/the new VOD GUI or Search app working quickly on my new 2550. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Why should we convince you, were just users like you.  Personally I have no problem at all w/the new VOD GUI or Search app working quickly on my new 2550. Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

34 of 44 (626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 9:11:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have a 65 inch tv the blue writing under their wonderful pictures that take muniutes to load on the screen, which then I have to go up to TV to read what is says. Besides being slow and clunky the interface is horable to navagate. You never know how long it will take to load the information. U-verse sometimes you can over think simple. Go back to the old interface. Please

I have a 65 inch tv the blue writing under their wonderful pictures that take muniutes to load on the screen, which then I have to go up to TV to read what is says. Besides being slow and clunky the interface is horable to navagate. You never know how long it will take to load the information. U-verse sometimes you can over think simple. Go back to the old interface. Please

35 of 44 (560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 10:49:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:20:43 AM

ron-sr wrote:

Turn it back into a list version.  On first right arrow, look in left border and see 3 small icons, click the bottom one, it'll change it back to a list version, a little bit different than the old version. Smiley Wink

Chris

ron-sr wrote:

Turn it back into a list version.  On first right arrow, look in left border and see 3 small icons, click the bottom one, it'll change it back to a list version, a little bit different than the old version. Smiley Wink

Chris

[ Edited ]
36 of 44 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 11:11:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

You just don't listen, do you? Switching to list mode only makes horribly-slow slightly-less horribly-slow. The interface sucks rocks, period. Some have stated that they changed from the perfectly useful, reasonably quick interface to this slow-@ssed, useless interface so they could compete with the NetFlix interface. Ok, if I have to choose between sucky interfaces, I guess I should look at NetFlix. I'm sure the processor in my internet-enabled TV is newer and faster than my ancient U-verse box, which would result in a faster sucky-interface experience.

You just don't listen, do you? Switching to list mode only makes horribly-slow slightly-less horribly-slow. The interface sucks rocks, period. Some have stated that they changed from the perfectly useful, reasonably quick interface to this slow-@ssed, useless interface so they could compete with the NetFlix interface. Ok, if I have to choose between sucky interfaces, I guess I should look at NetFlix. I'm sure the processor in my internet-enabled TV is newer and faster than my ancient U-verse box, which would result in a faster sucky-interface experience.

37 of 44 (535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 11:23:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

The fan-boys here just don't get it. First, this new interface is horribly slow, even in list mode. I think everyone but the fan-boys get that by now. Second, either the code or the data is regularly hosed. I have seen categories duplicated due to misspellings, meaning you have to look in multiple places for the same category of movies. I've also clicked on 'ok' to start a movie, only to have it go to the info screen again. It is an endless* loop. Also seen, clicking on a category and having the screen go to the parent level instead of the child level. I've seen high school programming projects that looked more professional.

*Endless is determined based on clicking the 'ok' and watching the screen "change" to the same info screen you clicked from six times.

The fan-boys here just don't get it. First, this new interface is horribly slow, even in list mode. I think everyone but the fan-boys get that by now. Second, either the code or the data is regularly hosed. I have seen categories duplicated due to misspellings, meaning you have to look in multiple places for the same category of movies. I've also clicked on 'ok' to start a movie, only to have it go to the info screen again. It is an endless* loop. Also seen, clicking on a category and having the screen go to the parent level instead of the child level. I've seen high school programming projects that looked more professional.

*Endless is determined based on clicking the 'ok' and watching the screen "change" to the same info screen you clicked from six times.

38 of 44 (523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 11:23:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:24:35 AM

tem62 wrote:

Sorry this was not directed to you, it was to ron-sr and you need not be rude, as I was never rude to you. 

Even on my slow old Vip1216, the list version worked just like the old list version same fast speed.  Don't know what is wrong, but I'd do a hard reboot by unplug/plug in power after 30 seconds. This will fix many DVR problems. Smiley Wink

Chris

tem62 wrote:

Sorry this was not directed to you, it was to ron-sr and you need not be rude, as I was never rude to you. 

Even on my slow old Vip1216, the list version worked just like the old list version same fast speed.  Don't know what is wrong, but I'd do a hard reboot by unplug/plug in power after 30 seconds. This will fix many DVR problems. Smiley Wink

Chris

[ Edited ]
39 of 44 (521 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 11:26:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

tem62 wrote:

Fan boys?  We're just users like you trying to help other users. Smiley Wink

Chris

tem62 wrote:

Fan boys?  We're just users like you trying to help other users. Smiley Wink

Chris

40 of 44 (517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 2:00:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

Power-cycled all of my units. The result is the same. It's slow. I and others have said the same over and over and the response is always the same, use list mode and/or reboot and all will be right with the world. Well, I did, and it isn't...and I am not alone. If I liked watching the appropriately-termed-by-me "dog chasing its tail" graphic, I would have been using, or would have at least looked at, some of the increasingly annoying number of "apps" on uVerse. Several, such as weather and the multiview apps, sounded worth looking into. They are just dog-crap slow and give me flashbacks to the agony of Windows 95 loading on my 486.

Power-cycled all of my units. The result is the same. It's slow. I and others have said the same over and over and the response is always the same, use list mode and/or reboot and all will be right with the world. Well, I did, and it isn't...and I am not alone. If I liked watching the appropriately-termed-by-me "dog chasing its tail" graphic, I would have been using, or would have at least looked at, some of the increasingly annoying number of "apps" on uVerse. Several, such as weather and the multiview apps, sounded worth looking into. They are just dog-crap slow and give me flashbacks to the agony of Windows 95 loading on my 486.

41 of 44 (496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 8:07:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

All features of my Uverse service have slowed to a crawl since the on demand downgrade. It takes a minimum of 10 seconds to load the guide. There is a 5-8 second wait when switching channels. When we try to record a program we wait anywhere from 20 seconds to never happens. The on demand feature takes at least 30 seconds to load and gets worse from there. Switching from one category to the next in on demand takes forever.

I spent 90 minutes on the phone today with ATT. After 4 resets and numerous "trouble shooting" procedures, they were unable to solve the problem. Then, she had the nerve to ask if I was satisfied with her help. I am not satisfied. I am not the only one with this issue. Two of my neighbors have the same problem and my brother, who lives in another city has the same issue.

It is impossible to get help from anyone at ATT. Is anyone else having these issues? Does anyone have a solution other than looking elsewhere for television service? That is the only solution I see.

All features of my Uverse service have slowed to a crawl since the on demand downgrade. It takes a minimum of 10 seconds to load the guide. There is a 5-8 second wait when switching channels. When we try to record a program we wait anywhere from 20 seconds to never happens. The on demand feature takes at least 30 seconds to load and gets worse from there. Switching from one category to the next in on demand takes forever.

I spent 90 minutes on the phone today with ATT. After 4 resets and numerous "trouble shooting" procedures, they were unable to solve the problem. Then, she had the nerve to ask if I was satisfied with her help. I am not satisfied. I am not the only one with this issue. Two of my neighbors have the same problem and my brother, who lives in another city has the same issue.

It is impossible to get help from anyone at ATT. Is anyone else having these issues? Does anyone have a solution other than looking elsewhere for television service? That is the only solution I see.

42 of 44 (372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 3:42:03 PM
(0)
Contributor
One thing that I noticed is if you are watching a movie and accidentally hit a button and the channel changes you can no longer go to channel 1 and hit play. Now you have to search for and restart the movie. Or am I doing it wrong. This is a big problem for me as I have a2 yr old who is always grabbing the remote. I hope I'm wrong.
One thing that I noticed is if you are watching a movie and accidentally hit a button and the channel changes you can no longer go to channel 1 and hit play. Now you have to search for and restart the movie. Or am I doing it wrong. This is a big problem for me as I have a2 yr old who is always grabbing the remote. I hope I'm wrong.

43 of 44 (285 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2013 12:23:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

YRMV.  I was watching an On-Demand movie and changed the channel, and was able to go back to the movie with the "last" button.  I didn't have to search through the OD menu to continue watching the movie.

YRMV.  I was watching an On-Demand movie and changed the channel, and was able to go back to the movie with the "last" button.  I didn't have to search through the OD menu to continue watching the movie.

44 of 44 (222 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments