For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
emagdnim's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, February 5th, 2015 6:25 AM

uverse vs. time warner

I don't know where else to turn.  It does not seem like ATT wants to earn my business but hopefully this message will get to the right person.

I currently have Time Warner Cable since that was the only service available when I moved into this area.  Uverse is now available and I would like to switch.  ATT seems to have a take it or leave it attitude when all I am asking for is you to earn my business (and I'm not asking for much!).  I am a former Uverse customer for several years and the only reason I left was because the service was unavailable in my new area.  It is hard for me to believe that ATT does not want to gain a customer back, especially one that is with TWC...If someone out there can direct me to the right person, I am ready to sign on the dotted line and get the process rolling ASAP.  

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@emagdnim wrote:

I don't know where else to turn.  It does not seem like ATT wants to earn my business but hopefully this message will get to the right person.

I currently have Time Warner Cable since that was the only service available when I moved into this area.  Uverse is now available and I would like to switch.  ATT seems to have a take it or leave it attitude when all I am asking for is you to earn my business (and I'm not asking for much!).  I am a former Uverse customer for several years and the only reason I left was because the service was unavailable in my new area.  It is hard for me to believe that ATT does not want to gain a customer back, especially one that is with TWC...If someone out there can direct me to the right person, I am ready to sign on the dotted line and get the process rolling ASAP.  

Have you checked here first?

http://www.att.com/u-verse/availability/index.jsp?q_address=true&wtSlotClick=1-0021RR-0-2

If OK'd for service, see what it gives service wise for you, then can continue online if you want. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I've had AT&T for phone service for 45 years, AT&T for ISP for 17 years & Uverse ever since it became available in my area and I've never been late with a payment in all those years. 

But after being a model customer all those years, last month, with no warning, AT&T decided to raise our bill by $54.

I don't have to tell you that I called TWC & they will be installing our new phone, Internet & TV service next week.

But I will tell you what they will be providing:

1. Unlimited local & long distance for -  $8/month - instead of 250 minutes of phone time for >> $51/month<<.

2. Of course the Internet service will be WAY faster than the fasted DSL service we have now because it will be cable.

3. And the TV service will be better too because we will be able to start programs over and we will have Look Back - up to 3 hours - something AT&T doesn't even know about.

So, we're going to have everything we have with Uverse and MORE for $76.95 LESS per month!  AND we don't have to sign a contract, we can change our services at any time - add or subtract anything we want - or cancel any or all of the services - without having to pay a penalty.

Looking back, I can't believe we let that kid in our house - the one that talked us into leaving cable for Uverse - but we did. And that's something we never did in the past and will never do again. That kid just got lucky because we were tired of paying for cable. But after dealing with Uverse, we can't wait to go back to cable. 

One more thing - please don't listen to the AT&T commercials that say you that you can record 4 channels at once because they neglect to tell you that if you have HD TV, you can only record 2 at a time and watch 1. For 1 year and 10 months we thought there was something wrong with our TV or our remotes & when AT&T finally came out, the repairman shook his head and said, "I don't know why they tell everyone they can record 4 at a time because when you have HD TV, (and doesn't everyone have HD now?), you can only record 2 and watch 1 at a time. And don't let AT&T make you think you can take your TV outside without worrying about taking a box with you, because that's NOT how it works. We have WiFi, but we still have to have the box connected to the TV. 

I'm sorry, I guess I started ranting. My advice to you - after having dealt with AT&T and TWC for all these years - stick with TWC. I think AT&T has changed their retention policies. The only reason I can think of to raise someone's bill by $54/month without warning or offering at least 1 extra perk would be: they want their customers to start running to TWC in droves. 

(BTW-We've owned stock in AT&T for many years and my aunt, who was 90 when she passed away a couple years ago, was an Ohio Bell Telephone operator for over 30 years. I always loved AT&T. But I have never been treated so underhandedly by any utility company in my whole life! Unless AT&T makes some drastic changes, I'll never go back to them.)

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@bipbop They didn't raise prices for $54 w/o you knowing why.  A promo ended, monthly discount ended, etc.  Prices go up in February billings $2-4 per service..

I have 4HD access as do many other users nowadays on the 32M profile.  I can record 4HD programs at one time.

What you quote from the tech seems like it was back in 2008 when I first got Uverse w/only 2 HD access then. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Sorry Chris, the repairman was here in December of 2014! We've had this equipment for 2 years, so I don't know what made you think we got it in 2008. uVerse wasn't available here until 2 years ago, so I'm pretty sure the equipment we have is up to date. Yes???

Believe me, I know, that uVerse wasn't available here because we were tired of TWC & I used to call AT&T every month trying to get them to put uVerse in our neighborhood.  Why? Because I've always loved ATT & after 30 years of paying for cable we thought ATT might be a better option. We kept hearing about how wonderful uVerse was on TV so of course we wanted to try to newest, "best" service that could be had! 

But, for nearly the whole time we had uVerse we couldn't figure out why we could never record more than 2 shows and watch 1. When we tried we'd get a message that "all tv services are in use you can stop recording one show if you want to record this one".  We used to get into arguments, "What are you recording now? I want to record something!  My TV just went out - it said we're using too many services!"  The answer was always, "I'm not recording anything! There's something wrong with your new HD TV!"  

Then, after a few calls begging AT&T to come see what was wrong, the repairman came to see if there was something wrong with one of our boxes. There wasn't. He just told us that if you have an HD TV, you can only record 2 shows at a time and watch 1.

We have WiFi, fastest DLS, 1 wireless DVR box and 2 other DVR boxes on the sd tv's. Please don't attempt to tell me what we have and what the repairman told us. You aren't here and you weren't here when the repairman told us what's what. We've been paying high dollar fees to have the best DVR's and Whole House DVR service - so I know what I'm talking about. 

You are right about the contract - thank God we don't have to sign a contract with TWC! I'll never sign another contract for phone, internet or TV services if I don't absolutely have to! However, the first bill after the contract was up said it was only going up by $3/month. The NEXT bill was $54 more!  I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but I really hate it when people try to tell me what's going on when they don't have a clue! Do you think that after dealing with these companies for 40 years I don't know what I'm talking about????

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Chris, This is the first time I've ever used this site - I just don't have time for blogs, or Facebook, or Twitter, even though I have accounts at both of the latter - I have more important things to do. However, I'm taking the time to let others know just how much AT&T is taking advantage of their customers out of the kindness of my heart. 

Please do not try to tell me how old my equipment is and how stupid the tech that came to our house is. First of all uVerse wasn't available in my neighborhood until 2 years ago. I know because we were tired of paying for cable & after seeing all the commercials about how wonderful uVerse was going to be I called AT&T every month until they finally installed uVerse in our neighborhood -and when they did we RAN to it! Our equipment is only 2 years old now - and it was the top of the line at that time - 1 whole house DVR, 1 wireless DVR, 3 DVR'sin all and we went for the BEST Internet service and the BEST TV service but we skimped on the phone service because we really don't talk on the phone all that much. 

After many calls to AT&T asking why our TV's kept saying, "all tv's are in use, please stop one if you want to record this show" because we knew we weren't recording 4 shows, they finally sent a tech to our house to see if there was something wrong with the boxes / equipment / wiring.  We told the tech that it was impossible for all the tv's to be in use, because there are only 3 TVs and 2 people living here, so we knew for sure that we weren't trying to do 4 things at once and that all the tv's were not in use when we'd get that message on the screen. That's when he grinned, shook his head and said, "The people they send out knocking on doors to drum up business and the installers shouldn't tell people that they can do 4 things at once when there is an HD TV in use",

(we did have an HD TV at that time, and still do), "because when you have an HD TV, you can only record 2 shows and watch 1 other at the same time".  It was the way he said it, that made it seem like he was letting us in on  AT&T's dirty little secret.  And by the tone in his voice, we got the impression that this wasn't the first time he had to explain this to customers.

The commercial states that you can record 4 shows at a time but they neglect to mention the fact that if you have an HD TV you can't record / watch 4 shows at a time. I'll bet people that have 2 or more HD TV's have a LOT of arguments when someone is trying to record a program while 2 other tv's are in use because we used to argue all the time about it. The one that wanted to record something but couldn't would yell, "What are you recording now?" And the other would yell back, "Nothing!" And that would go on and on and I'd finally say, "There's probably something wrong with that new HDTV!"

Just think of all those arguments that could have been avoided if AT&T would have been honest and told us the truth. When that kid that knocked on our door that evening and the installer brought the DVR's and WiFI and DSL modems/equipment they should have explained that the commercials are incorrect so please don't think you can record / watch 4 programs, in other words do 4 things at the same time, because you have an HD TV so you can only record 2 things and watch 1 other thing at the same time.

BTW- who says you're an ACE? You or ATT? I think you someone should rethink your moniker, don't you?  (Do you know what that means? or do you need to look it up? SEE what I mean? It doesn't feel so good being talked down to, does it!)  I think you should find out all the facts before you go telling someone they don't know what they're talking about.  Because I do know what I'm talking about - yes the 2 year promo was up, but when I called, they said the bill was only going up by $3 and change, and the first bill after the 2 years was up was only $3 and change higher. We could have put up with that. But the NEXT bill being $54 higher was just uncalled for and I think they should have warned us before they raised the bill by 30%, please don't tell me you don't agree! 30%?????  That's ridiculous! . Why on earth would you say something like that: alluding to the fact that I did know why - the only thing I know is that they were hoping we wouldn't notice because they take the money from the bank each month, so we don't have to write a check or worry about it. I will never again trust AT&T! That was a low thing to do in my "humble" opinion! 

I truly didn't think anyone was going to bother reading my Post so I didn't go into detail, but you, being an ACE, should have been able to read between the lines and know that I knew what I was talking about. Why would I be ranting about the billing if I didn't?

Can I help you understand anything else, do you have any more questions??? If you need help with anything else or have any other questions, please feel free to ask for my help or ask the questions. However, I won't be sending a reply tonight...it's almost 4:am and I need to get some sleep. But I'll come back tomorrow and I'll be happy to set you straight if you have any other concerns.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

First off...another ACE here (makes us sound like aliens, huh?).  We are here to help and answer questions.  ATT gave us this moniker.

I hope that your ability to rant (your term, not mine) in this forum made you feel better and allowed you to move on.  It seems that you've made the decision to change your service to TWC and that is your decision to make.  Good luck with that.

Most customers DO have the ability to watch/record 4 HD streams at a time.  2008 was mentioned only because years ago, 2 or 3 HD streams was all that was available but that has changed.  Some customers are stuck with that profile because of extenuating circumstances.  Obviously, you were in that category.

Again, good luck with your decision to return to TWC.  If you ever decide to give ATT another chance, we'll be here. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

Limited phone for $51/month?  Last time I checked, the regular monthly price for U-verse Voice 250 was $35.  I'm paying less than that for POTS,though.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

Limited phone for $51/month?  Last time I checked, the regular monthly price for U-verse Voice 250 was $35.  I'm paying less than that for POTS,though.

Uvoice 250 is $25.  Unlimited is $35.

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

It would appear to me that bipbop hijacked this thread after Chris was replying to the OP.

I would like to know how bipbop got 1 wireless DVR, and 2 other DVR boxes when I can only get one cabled DVR.  I feel left out. Smiley Sad

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

@JefferMC wrote:

Uvoice 250 is $25.  Unlimited is $35.

I'm beginning to think this varies by market.  I just checked AT&T.COM and found Uvoice 200 was $30, and I don't have an option for Uvoice 250.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.