For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
mikerlynn's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, July 27th, 2016 7:04 PM

charged 397$ for replacing failed equipment due to "act of God"

So my house had a power surge, prob a lightning strike. Some of ATT Uverses equipment was broke and won't power on.  I call them to come fix, they do. Now im seeing this on my bill. I call in and a manager says that doesn't sound right when i tell her i was charged for equipment after power surge. Then she explains after reviewing my account notes how i need to claim it on my insurance for reimbursement and that it was an act of God im responsible for. These fees don't even make sense.  Not happy.

• DVR Upgrade Fee 07/16 $50.00
  • Dispatch on Demand 07/16 $149.00
  • Internet Gateway 07/16 $100.00
  • Wireless Receiver in lieu of Complex Wiring 07/16 $98.00
  • Total One-Time Charges $397.00

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@mikerlynn  They gave best advice in contacting insurance people hoping you have an electronics rider, see charges are fair for what they had to do.

DVR fee imposed for getting another DVR.

Dispatched fee for replacement, not ATTs fault.

Gateway fee charged for getting another gateway.

Wireless receiver to replace a wired STB and spending time checking the complex wiring.

Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

totally agree, not ATT's fault.  ATT's equipment faulted.  But you don't win anyone over that way either huh?  

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@mikerlynn   Unluckily a power surge from a possible strike is an act of God and the user loses out as ATT sure won't, but that's what insurance is about.  TrippLite Isobar surge protectors might have protected everything and blown out b4 any equip damage.

A few summers ago, I had a lightening strike that had a simultaneous flash/BOOM in the same second very close, but nothing happened here.  My Thoughts, the prem tech, suggested I had a very good ground in that situation. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Scholar

• 

289 Messages

8 years ago

Somebody needs to tell ATTUverseCares about this charge. I was told by them to unplug my gateway and dvr from my surge protector for better performance. I then asked "what happens if there is a power surge? ( I live in Florida, the lightning capitol of the USA.) I was told to call and explain what happened and request replacement equipment. A replacement would be sent free with no questions asked. I told the rep that I knew what the damaged equipment return policy was and was again told replacement was not a problem and free.

Yes, I am still using my surge protector. This surge protector does have a $10,000 insurance for spikes and surges. I have been lucky so far. A/C unit was struck once and pool was struck about half a dozen times.

One thing that I noticed in my over six years with UV is that you can talk to 5-6 reps and get 5-6 different answers. It would be nice if they were all on the same page. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

no the person who drove through my house would be responsible.

I understand responsiblity, i don't understand that level of taking care of a customer.

Scholar

• 

225 Messages

8 years ago

AT&T shouldn't be telling people not to use surge protectors and to plug their equipment directly into the wall if they aren't going to cover the consoquences from doing so. I was told by quite a few techs that have been out that surges can come through the power cords and through the cord that delivers service to the gateway. What's the sense in paying the $7 equipment fee monthly if it doesn't cover replacements that get damaged due to things AT&T tells their customers to do because they say it will make their services work better?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.