Get the myAT&T app
mykids123's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, March 19th, 2014 7:00 AM

Why wasn't I told about Mcafee security?

Why didn't anyone from At&t tell me about this free security that I could have put on my computers when I signed up for service? I'm very upset about this because my laptop is full of viruses now and I can't do anything about it. I tried paying someone to remove them but they couldn't. It wasn't a professional doing it but I can't afford to pay the $180 it takes for me to get support from the computer maker "Dell". I have been desperate and was going to just reset my computer to factory settings from when I bought it which was over 5 years ago. That means I'm losing all the stuff I've put on the computer since that time, so many pictures of my family. I can't get into the computer to save them or anything. The computer is really messed up. I called the maker of the computer, "Dell" and they said my service warranty ran out a while back and I needed to pay almost $200 to get them to help me with it. They ran a check on my computer and said it was full of viruses. They wouldn't do or say anything else without money. I am a single mother of 3 kids and I don't have a job or no income at all right now. I can't afford a cent much less that much money. My kids need that computer to do school work and of course teenage stuff too. Now they are always on my laptop that I'm emailing you from now. It's after 2am and the only time I can get on my own computer because of stuff they need and want to do on the other one and can't. That desktop isn't that old, I bought it just a few years ago and should have plenty of life left on it. I had Comcast for a few years and never had any problems with security or viruses on these computers. They came out and installed the equipment and put the security on the computer at the time. Why doesn't At&t do that or tell us about the Mcfee security that is free? I'm so aggravated and don't know what to do right now. If I could afford deposits to another internet company I'd switch from At&t to someone else. I'm sorry to say that, really. I've had good customer service from your company since I've had internet with you. I called a few days ago and asked someone from customer service if they could help me somehow to get my computer fixed or take some money off my bill so I can afford to get my computer fixed because they didn't tell me about the Mcfee security I could have had. I don't like to say anything or have any trouble with anybody, I'm not a mean person. I'm just at my wits end right now. This laptop is getting old so I don't know how long it will last especially with 4 of us using it all day long because they can't use the desktop. There will be no way I can get another computer because I'll never have the extra money. Please, if there is something you can do to help me I'd be very grateful. Like I said, I called customer service at At&t a few days ago and now I'm getting an email about the exact thing I was complaining about. Maybe your company listened to my complaint and are now making sure customers know about this free security they can get. I don't think it's a coincidence this email came out after I complained. I think they know that this is a real big issue that a lot people like me will realize could have caused them problems with their computers. I'm glad at&t is advertising this now but it's a little late for me. It needs to be told straight to the customer when they order internet from you. It needs to be installed on their computers by someone from the company or through the system somehow. Please help me to be able to afford to get my other computer fixed. Any amount would be appreciated that you could help me on my bill. I have to make a past due payment this Friday too. Anyway, I hope someone reads this message. Thanks for your time.
Melissa

[Edited for privacy.]

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

First, you should never be online without an anti-virus program.  Second, to blame AT&T for not telling you about McAfee is crazy.  There are more than enough FREE anti-virus programs available.

The internet is not different on Comcast or Charter or Cox or AT&T. They are all the same, blaming AT&T for viruses is again, crazy.  If Comcast put an anti-virus program on your computer when you had them, it should still be there unless it was an online version for Comcast customers only.  Do you not have an anti-virus program on the laptop you are on now?

Out of anti-virus programs out there McAfee is way down on this list of ones I'd recommend, like dead last.  I've been dealing with computers for over 30 years now and McAfee has never been anywhere near the top.

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free, made by Microsoft, does a great job and doesn't hog resources.

AVG - Another good free anti-virus program

Avast - this is another one getting great reviews

Malwarebytes for removal is going to be the best before you will be able to install any additional anti-virus program

Panda cloud cleaner is also another option for removal. 

All the above are free, have been available for years and are all better than McAfee.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

Do you have ANY kind of virus protection?  Did you do virus scans on a regular basis?

I've had Uverse for over 7 years and I was aware of the McAfee protection.  I don't remember how or when but I was aware.  I chose not to use it and use MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) instead.  And of course, there are many other FREE anti-virus programs out there.  Free MSE download here

I'm sure others who are much more computer savy than myself will post a solution to your immediate problem.

Now here's my "Mom-to-Mom" advice: 

When you share a computer with your kids, you need to be extra, extra careful.  They will download stuff that contains unwanted cr@p like viruses, trojans and spam.  They just don't know any better.

This happened to me regularly when my 2 (now 32 & 27) were at home, especially with my youngest.  She has a genius IQ and is on the dean's list at law school.  She was on the computer all the time doing homework and projects in addition to downloading music and other things.  She's out of the house now and uses Macs, Mac books, I-pads, etc.  They learn.

Bottom line: You need a GOOD virus protection program and to scan your computer(s) on a weekly basis if not more often.  You can blame your problem on ATT but this is Computers 101.

P.S.  The moderators have been notified because of the personal info you posted.   NEVER post personal info on a message board (lesson 2).

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

*High fives oufanSmiley Wink

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks skeeter.  As a computer technical support agent, I NEVER recommend McAfee.  Out of all the ones that are available, it's the least user friendly and a huge resource hawg.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

@oufanindallas wrote:

Thanks skeeter.  As a computer technical support agent, I NEVER recommend McAfee.  Out of all the ones that are available, it's the least user friendly and a huge resource hawg.

Norton is another resource hog.  When we had Comcast, they offered Norton and I used it when I didn't know any better.  I didn't realize how much it slowed my computer down until I ditched it a went with MSE.

To the OP....I'm a technologically challenged and there's a lot to learn out there.  I'm still learning.  Sometimes we have to learn the hard way.  If that means an infected computer, so be it. 

Consider this situation as a lesson learned.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Also, when sharing a computer with kids, create separate accounts for each of you, and make the kids non-admins.  If they want to install software, you have to type your password to approve it.  It makes it harder for malware to get installed because you have to approve that being installed, too.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

Also, when sharing a computer with kids, create separate accounts for each of you, and make the kids non-admins.  If they want to install software, you have to type your password to approve it.  It makes it harder for malware to get installed because you have to approve that being installed, too.

Good advice JefferMC.  Especially with teenagers.  There are too many harmful links and sneaky viruses and malwares out there.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Heck, my (now) 16 year old daughter bought herself a laptop last year.  Since, if any thing goes wrong, she'll expect me to fix it, I took it and created myself an admin account and downgraded hers to normal user.

Oh, and did the image backup that she'll get back on it if she manages to get it infected anyway. 

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

What's bad is people that don't do backups.  In my industry, when your livelyhood relies on your data and you don't have a backup, it's just nuts.  I'm good, but I can't work miracles if you accidently delete something or your database gets corrupted.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

@NortonfromSymantec wrote:

@skeeterintexas wrote:

@oufanindallas wrote:

Norton is another resource hog.  When we had Comcast, they offered Norton and I used it when I didn't know any better.  I didn't realize how much it slowed my computer down until I ditched it a went with MSE.

To the OP....I'm a technologically challenged and there's a lot to learn out there.  I'm still learning.  Sometimes we have to learn the hard way.  If that means an infected computer, so be it. 

Consider this situation as a lesson learned.

Edit

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.