For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
yptozmy's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Wednesday, April 1st, 2015 8:59 PM

Closed

Why does AT&T customer service hang up on Customers?

Hello,

I have one question to ask, and I would really appreciate it if I could get an honest answer, preferably from someone "AT&T-related". I do not want to "PM you my account number, I do not want any promotions, I do not want to privately chat about this". I just want an honest answer. It is OK to say you do not know.

My question:

Ever since I had this terrible experience with AT&T, I have not been able to get my thoughts straight. I have been with AT&T for several years, both for U-Verse (TV, Phone, GigaPower) and wireless (5 Lines). Last week, I had called AT&T to ask about a very quick question regarding the schedule visit from the technician to install GigaPower. Immediately after this person verified my name, he hung up the phone. This was after he "confirmed my phone number incase we get disconnected". He did not call back. I never even got to answer my question.

I did not care about it much at the time, but to my surprise, it happened yet AGAIN the next day. This time I was in the middle of asking my question..

I searched online and it seems this has been happening to many people, all of which are frustrated. We wait so long to get to the right person to talk to and then they hang up? This is from a customer who is paying you about $400/month for all of your brilliant services.

Please answer this question: Is AT&T training their employees to do this? Are they doing this when there shift is almost over?

I have been in retail for an extremely long time, and I have NEVER encountered anyone doing this, no matter how tired they are or how close they are to the end of their shift...

Regardless, I will stay an AT&T customer for the foreseeable future. But I am just so disappointed in some of your customer service representative's "etiquette and level of respect".

Thank You

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

That second paragraph has a typo. It should say "I never got to ask my question" instead of "answer my question".
This is the last sentence of the second paragraph.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.6K Messages

9 years ago

You can send a private message to the escalation team at ATT Customer Care and someone will get in touch with you in two to three business days to help you get a resolution to your problems.

To check for their reply, click the little blue envelope. envelope.png

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

9 years ago

@yptozmy wrote:

Please answer this question: Is AT&T training their employees to do this? Are they doing this when there shift is almost over?

1. No.

2. Possibily, but not likely.  Employees who intentionally disconnect calls don't last very long. 

P.S. If you'd like to find out if you were actually intentionally disconnect, you should PM your account number. That's the only way to get account-specific help via the forums.

https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I was hung up on four times this evening prior to finally getting someone who was willing to assist me in cancelling part of my service--even after I recorded two of their names and employee numbers. The fact that the customer service representatives were willing to hang up on me even after I recorded their employee ID numbers and told them that I had already been hung up on several times previously says to me that this is a systemic issue. If you're having this issue, file an FCC complaint for unfair business practices. That's what I'm planning to do. I am beyond livid about how AT&T handles customers who have been using their services for years. I have had a AT&T wireless account now for going on 10 years. I called today to just cancel my TV service, but I am about to pull the plug on this company completely. Google fiber can't come to my area soon enough.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

This happened to me to.  Here's what happened to me trying to end my service.  I'd never had any problem similar to this with ATT (or any other company) before.

The first representative I spoke with verified my account and forwarded me to someone who could end the service.  This second representative picked up, said hello, and disconnected the call when she heard I wanted to end service.  I called back.  A third representative verified my account and forwarded me to a fourth representative who picked up, said he was in Nashville, and disconnected as soon as I said I wanted to end service.  I called back, and spoke to a fifth representative who resolved the problem quickly and politely.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

This is very frustrating. I was on hold for 28 minutes and the worker couldn't understand what I was asking, he kept putting me on hold. I asked to talk to someone else and got to a person quicker than I thought it would have been. I had to go over all of my information again to only get hung up on 20 minutes into the call. They have your number, they should call you back! So a total of 48 minutes and got nothing accomplished. So I am calling back and once again they are experiencing higher than normal call volume--so who knows how long this call will be and if I can get my issue addressed.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I was also hung up on by ATT rep. We were not finished, but she decided she was done, and click, she hung up. She basically said, "I am correct, you are wrong, I can't help you, good-bye, click." The ATT number was 1-866-324-4737, Billing, I believe. I was polite, but she had reached her conclusion, was done with me, and didn't want to hear anything else related to the issue. She was rude, "I am sending you an email that 'states in plain English' that you owe the installation fee." I asked if I could send her the email and chat log that explained that installation fee had been waived. She refused and hung up on me. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I was just hung up on.  They asked for and received my call back number.  If we were disconnected they would have called back.  I'm just trying to find out what type of device I need to purchase to get a store location PCI compliant.  The current AT&T equipment fails security scans.  They acknowledge that their equipment has a security problem, but will not tell me what I need to purchase to fix it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

The agent is not allowed to make call backs.The agent is required to take the next call in the queue. The agent is not allowed to hung up on a customer. Hanging up is a firing offense and is different if the call get disconnected. Disconnected calls are caused by the system overloads or the caller's phone. The agent does not have access to a log of calls he gets, so when a call disconnects he cannot call back because he has nothing to record the call - no writing is permitted in the call center. For security purposes agent has no way to record calls, if a call drops the information about the call drops and the agent cannot recall it. Maybe things will change in the future but as there is noting in place to improve it. The method keeps cust info secure but does not allow good follow up for disconnected calls.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Same. Literally JUST hung up on me mid-sentence. I don't need this kinda sass when I am the one paying them. Been with ATT for MORE THAN 16 YEARS! But I am literally gonna change my family plan to T-mobile if I get hung up again after waiting 30 mins to speak to someone #Bye 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.