Ask a question

Highlighted
    Posted Feb 6, 2014
    5:55:49 PM
    View profile
    Uverse breaking contract with added fees
    Edited by MPUV555 on Feb 6, 2014 at 6:03:03 PM

So I sign up for Uverse hoping it will be better experience than Time Warner Cable.  I was wrong.  Its just as hard to get in touch with customer service and they add fees without telling me. 

When I signed up I was told I would have to pay for an extra receiver (an extra $7/month from what I was quoted), so I was annoyed but put up with it.  I was told my total bill would be $81/month before tax.  So my first bill was $117 which included an installation fee, then my 2nd bill was $100.  The excuse was something about charging me for extra days during the last billing period, which made zero sense.  I also noticed a $6 equipment fee (which was NOT quoted to me) and a $2 "broadcast surchage" added onto my QUOTED monthly total.  So I called and of course spent 45 mins on the phone, was hung up on TWICE even though I was perfectly reasonable with the reps, and finally the last individual agreed with me and said he would reduce my monthly bill to $81/month as originally quoted.  So this month I'm charged $93 total and the equipment and broadcast charge are still there. 

What would you do?  Cable companies are out of control.

(0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Solved
    Feb 6, 2014 7:39:46 PM
    (0)
    Employee
    Edited by my thoughts on Feb 6, 2014 at 7:55:15 PM

There are below line fees along with taxes and is not part of quote.

have internet only or internet Voip services you would purchase the 3600 or 5031 RG for $100, comes with a one year warranty.

With having IPTV services, you cannot purchase the RG, but is leased now $7 a month, used to be $6,also have a local tv access charge was $1.99 now going to $2.99.

So your one year promotion is $81 + hsia (leased RG) $7 + local tv $2.99 = $90.99 plus taxes and any other fees, need to view your bill for exact charges, but $100 bill with taxes and any other fees is about right.

Normally billing cycle is 30 days.

From the fine print details http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/offer-details.jsp

Very first line....
    Promotional pricing applies to service rates only and excludes taxes, equipment fees and other charges including a $49 service activation fee, city video cost recovery fees, where applicable, and a Broadcast TV surcharge. Residential customers only. Credit restrictions may apply. Pricing, programming and features subject to change at any time without notice.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
    Accepted Solution

Uverse breaking contract with added fees

[ Edited ]
    20 replies
    (1) Me too
    (1) Me too
    View all replies
    (20)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Solved
    Feb 6, 2014 7:39:46 PM
    (0)
    Employee
    Edited by my thoughts on Feb 6, 2014 at 7:55:15 PM

There are below line fees along with taxes and is not part of quote.

have internet only or internet Voip services you would purchase the 3600 or 5031 RG for $100, comes with a one year warranty.

With having IPTV services, you cannot purchase the RG, but is leased now $7 a month, used to be $6,also have a local tv access charge was $1.99 now going to $2.99.

So your one year promotion is $81 + hsia (leased RG) $7 + local tv $2.99 = $90.99 plus taxes and any other fees, need to view your bill for exact charges, but $100 bill with taxes and any other fees is about right.

Normally billing cycle is 30 days.

From the fine print details http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/offer-details.jsp

Very first line....
    Promotional pricing applies to service rates only and excludes taxes, equipment fees and other charges including a $49 service activation fee, city video cost recovery fees, where applicable, and a Broadcast TV surcharge. Residential customers only. Credit restrictions may apply. Pricing, programming and features subject to change at any time without notice.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Uverse breaking contract with added fees

[ Edited ]
    2 of 21 (14,738 Views)
    Solution
    (2)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 7, 2014 5:32:32 PM
    (2)
    Tutor

Nice fine print  - you don't think its someone's obligation to explain that to customers.  Why aren't you obligated to include that in the quote?  AT&T provides access to the broadcast stations and the equipment - therefore they should be included in any quote.  You can call it "promotional pricing" or whatever you want, but its a freakin quote.

Also... your customer service reps shouldn't be hanging up on people.  In addition, why did one of your reps tell me he agreed and would reduce my bill to what was on my quote?  Obviously that didn't happen.

Why is it people only have these problems with tv service providers?  You guys don't offer enough value anymore and are just trying to squeeze money by any means possible.  I thought AT&T might be an upgrade in service from Time Warner, but it appears I was mistaken.

3 of 21 (14,685 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 14, 2014 2:29:16 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Agree!!!

4 of 21 (13,026 Views)
    (1)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 15, 2014 6:20:23 AM
    (1)
    Tutor

Don't you think that any charges that are mandated by ATT,that are unavoidable, should be in the quote and not swallowed up in fine print.

5 of 21 (11,042 Views)
    (1)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 11, 2014 7:44:58 AM
    (1)
    ACE - Professor

confusedatUVERSE wrote:

Don't you think that any charges that are mandated by ATT,that are unavoidable, should be in the quote and not swallowed up in fine print.

Considering taxes and local broadcast surcharges are different in each state, the "final total paid" will be different. If I have U-300 and an extra STB with 12.0Mbps internet in Ohio, my buddy in Kansas with the exact same package might be paying a few dollars more or less.

If AT&T says "quoted prices do not include local taxes and/or fees" in their small print, and the customer doesn't read that...well, that's not on AT&T.

If Time Warner claims I can get "up to 250 channels and 20Mbps internet" for $119, then am I really gonna pay that much after I add two DVRs and local fees are factored into the equation?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 21 (7,371 Views)
    (1)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 11, 2014 6:08:38 PM
    (1)
    Mentor

ATT has a habit of misrepresenting the truth, then blaming the customer for not knowing it was a misrepresentation. If you complain long enough and a very nice gentleman from the Office of the President of ATT will call you and be very polite, but nothing will change. That you have a transcript of the conversation doen't matter.

7 of 21 (6,854 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 4, 2014 10:59:47 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

Here also

8 of 21 (5,679 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 4, 2014 11:54:01 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

dydxlnx wrote:

ATT has a habit of misrepresenting the truth, then blaming the customer for not knowing it was a misrepresentation. If you complain long enough and a very nice gentleman from the Office of the President of ATT will call you and be very polite, but nothing will change. That you have a transcript of the conversation doen't matter.

Get ahold of the BBB and make your complaint heard.  Usually get some action when they get involved.

But having said this, most people ignore the 'fine print' and that gets them into trouble.  Me, I download so I have it here if I need it.  Like when I got Uverse and would get $200 back. 

Reward Center cancelled the reward more than 20 times, talked to a supervisor and read back the offer I had downloaded.  She then went thru her offers and found it and said "something's funny here, I'll investigate and get back to you in a week". 

I told her yeah, ATT reps rarely call back, she said she does.  A week later I got a call that my check went into the mail  (a day later than it should've) and got the $200 check 2 days later. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
    Need Help? PM ATTUverse Care (all service problems)
    ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
    Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
    I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 21 (5,654 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 7, 2014 8:47:39 AM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Edited by Frustated on Nov 7, 2014 at 8:53:34 AM

Hidden fees and hidden everything !! Very frustated. I had u-verse insalled on 8/12/2014. My order sheet said nothing about a conract, nor did the Rep say anything about it. The guy came and installed it, no mention of a contract. I am disabled and on a fixed income. I just found out today..11/7-14.. after speaking with a Tech about an e-email issue, that I have a 1 yr contract on my u-verse. This is a total scam !! There are cheaper services out there , but having been with att for 20 yrs, I figured I was doing good...WRONG !! Is this really the way to operate a buisiness( esp a long time customer) Never again will I deal with att. Notifying BBB AND LETTING FAMILY, FREINDS AND BUISINESS PATNERS KNOW THAT YOU ARE JUST A MONEY SOURCE TO THEM. Sick and frustrated. By the way my u-verse is setup for pc only

[ Edited ]
    10 of 21 (4,831 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 24, 2015 5:20:12 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Another question...why can't customers get the rates they are going to be charged AFTER the yearly promotional fee expires? My bill was consistent, to the penny, for the first year. The moment the promotion expired, don't you know my rates went higher every month for three months, including a supposed increase in those "below line" fees (read bullcrap fees)? Until I have called Customer Care this month to put a stop to it? (We shall see if it makes any difference.)

The answer I got when I signed up and asked what the fees would be once the promotion was over was that a quote couldnt be given because it would depend. Really? If a store has a promotional sale, they have a cost that the item usually is BEFORE the sale. Why can't we know what the approximate cost will be once the promotion is over?

11 of 21 (3,119 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 24, 2015 5:25:50 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

"But having said this, most people ignore the 'fine print' and that gets them into trouble.  Me, I download so I have it here if I need it.  Like when I got Uverse and would get $200 back. "

Fine print is usually used when someone wants to scam someone else. Why does there have to be fine print? If I ask how much something is going to cost, tell me what it's going to cost! Stop already with the fine print and hidden fees! For gosh sakes, these companies make millions or billions of dollars and they have to be so greedy that they can't be honest about what something is going to charge?

If I didn't have to have internet to make my living, I would for sure be dropping these companies. They are so dishonest. Smiley Mad

12 of 21 (3,115 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 24, 2015 7:12:19 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

givemeabreak21 wrote:

Another question...why can't customers get the rates they are going to be charged AFTER the yearly promotional fee expires? My bill was consistent, to the penny, for the first year. The moment the promotion expired, don't you know my rates went higher every month for three months, including a supposed increase in those "below line" fees (read bullcrap fees)? Until I have called Customer Care this month to put a stop to it? (We shall see if it makes any difference.)

The answer I got when I signed up and asked what the fees would be once the promotion was over was that a quote couldnt be given because it would depend. Really? If a store has a promotional sale, they have a cost that the item usually is BEFORE the sale. Why can't we know what the approximate cost will be once the promotion is over?

"Below Line Fees" include any state, county or municipal taxes and fees that might be assessed by government entities.  Mine are different than yours. 

My bill includes the following fees and surcharges:

State Cost-Recovery Fee,

TX Local Video Facilities Fee,

TX Local Video Service Franchise Fee

Regulatory Video Cost Recovery Charge

Federal Universal Service Charge

TX Local 911 Fee
    TX Municipal Right of Way Fee
    TX State 911 Equalization Fee
    TX City Sales Tax - Telecom
    TX State Sales Tax - Telecom

Do you really think that ATT has knowledge every fee beyond the fees they have control over?

13 of 21 (3,071 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 24, 2015 7:41:50 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

My bill going from $104+ the month after the first year's promotion ended, then going to $129+ the second month after promo, then $137+ the third month after promo had nothing to do with the below line fees going up. I asked about that. There WAS an increase of a few dollars because of fees going up. The rest was greed.

But since you listed all of the fees YOU pay, it just demonstrates how deep the greed goes. Everybody thinks they deserve a piece of my money and all I really want to do is watch a little TV. I would be happy to cancel the TV portion of my bill, but guess what will happen? I will get punished by ATT, and the internet portion will more than double to make up for the portion I cancel!

No, I don't think ATT has knowledge of every fee beyond the fees they have control over. That's not what I and most people are complaining about.

I mentioned in another thread that Customer Care has offered to lower my bill if I signed another year's contract. I will wait and see if ATT honors what they have offered for the next year. If they do, I will once again be happy with ATT. If the games continue, I will be here complaining even more.

14 of 21 (3,059 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 24, 2015 8:14:45 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

givemeabreak21 wrote:

"But having said this, most people ignore the 'fine print' and that gets them into trouble.  Me, I download so I have it here if I need it.  Like when I got Uverse and would get $200 back. "

Fine print is usually used when someone wants to scam someone else. Why does there have to be fine print? If I ask how much something is going to cost, tell me what it's going to cost! Stop already with the fine print and hidden fees! For gosh sakes, these companies make millions or billions of dollars and they have to be so greedy that they can't be honest about what something is going to charge?

If I didn't have to have internet to make my living, I would for sure be dropping these companies. They are so dishonest. Smiley Mad

Fine print was there to finally save my bacon w/the $200 for Uverse they cancelled 20 times.  The joke is some TV ads have the fine print read superfast, or scroll it on the bottom of the screen. 

Buyer beware, read the fine print so you know what the real deal is and can fight back.  Would do everyone some good if they went online to read the fine print.

ATT isn't making much on Uverse, it's all being made on wireless, reason wireless is king here too. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
    Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
    ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
    Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
    I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

15 of 21 (3,024 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2015 6:07:16 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

I was hot to trot to switch from one bad cable company (a known bad one) to U-verse.  It's a "no contract" company to U-verse, which has a contract but also has one dangerous line in their contract:

"Prices, programming, features and offers subject to change without notice." 

This one line stopped me dead in my tracks from switching.  The sales rep spent
    a bit of time with me (I feel bad for him) said he hadn't heard of pricing increases.
    He said it multiple times.  He also said only verbally and scribbling it on a piece
    of paper was also worthless, the plan could be renewed at the same or lower
    price after a year.  My statement to him about the one line was it renders the
    consumer safety of no price increase useless and totally helps U-verse.  It didn't matter
    how many times he said he never saw it happen.  I'm reading about it by different
    posters and this year in too many forums. 

In other words, it allows U-verse to add fees and it's not breaking the contract.

I'd switch if the contract was clean and didn't have this line in it.  Then, it becomes
    a safe contract for the consumer (me and you).

I'm attempting to stop being nailed by ripoffs/practices.  I walked out of the store
    and I had been there three times.  With a line like that, no contract is needed
    because it allows them to do anything to you and charge an early termination fee.
    You saw it happen.

It's a pity and we were looking forward so very much to the switch.

16 of 21 (1,010 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2015 6:35:26 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

He had never seen a price increase???????   How can anyone take that statement seriously?

That's laughable, I don't care who said it.

17 of 21 (977 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2015 10:59:17 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

I care who said it - it was the sales representative at the local store!  He and his manager

surrounded me trying to convince me otherwise.  I had even sent the rep. the link where

people were being nailed with increased despite the contract. 

So between the one line in the contract that invalidated it and the bunk about

no price increase despite a contract, I walked out of the store.

That's why I'm cautioning y'all to be careful when you get a contract.  It needs

to be read     and     questioned.  

18 of 21 (892 Views)
    (1)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2015 11:56:14 AM
    (1)
    ACE - Master

About the second worst source of accurate information with regards to U-verse are the AT&T Stores.  The worst would be the door-to-door contract sales people.

Prices increase once per year, around February.  Depending on your promotion, your discount amount may or may not cover the increase.  And, as you pointed out, most fees are not covered by the promotional agreement at all.

19 of 21 (864 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2015 12:08:23 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Thanks much! I hate it when I get this concerned about ongoing lies. I'm
    getting hit all over
    the place. Thanks for confirming I'm right Smiley Happy . I knew Evan (sales guy)
    denied
    the bad stuff and wouldn't admit it even when I put it in front of his
    face. That
    means we'll continue to be doomed with Charter.

I didn't even think about the fees going up. I know I asked questions -
    total including
    taxes and fees and couldn't get a straight answer. I worked in IT and ten
    years ago at a
    telecom office, we designed a program to be able to give consumers whatever
    they
    needed when calling customer service.

Door-to-door guys were ignored when they stopped by here three years ago.
    They
    were total nincompoops.

20 of 21 (860 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2015 12:40:34 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

All that being said, the fees are not going to go up dramatically during the contract period.  If you're saving a moderate amount over Charter by switching, it's likely that Charter's price increases during the period will be comperable to AT&T's and you'll be in decent shape in 12 months.  At the end of the AT&T contract period, you're no longer subject to any ETF and then you're free to leave AT&T if the post-contract rate is too high, or re-negotiate a rate for another contract period.

What I'm saying is, Yes, per the agreement, AT&T could hit you with a new fee equal to 50% or more of your service rate.  The likelihood of that happening is small in the extreme [If the increase times the number of months remaining in your contract is greater than or equal to your remaining ETF, well, what's going to keep you?].

May AT&T invent a new fee equal to 2 or 3% of your bill?  Well, I won't tell you that's not going to happen.

21 of 21 (839 Views)