Get the myAT&T app
Telxonius's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Thursday, August 16th, 2012 9:38 PM

U-verse internet only and POTS line

I am getting the forced Uverse switchover, and the tech is coming out tomorrow.

With internet only, will my POTS lines connect to the RG, or come from the NID like they do now?

I collect antique telephones, and occasionally like to use my rotary phones. I have read that people that have the full Uverse package can't use rotary because the incoming line is all digital. Is this true for internet only setups too?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Telxonius - Your POTS should be unchanged. Connection from NID - same. Rotary dial support - same.

New home run connection from NID to modem for internet.

Sounds like a tech install - not a self install??

I believe you are correct that U-verse voice does not support pulse dial phones. Says so on the web site.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

Glad to hear it! I collect antique telephones, and love using the older ones from time to time.

Yes it's a tech install, even though I am experienced in low voltage cabling, they wouldn't give me the option of self install.

I have a splitter/filter in the NID and cat5 running to a punchdown block where it splits off to the different jacks in the house. I have one pair of the cat5 going straight from the splitter/filter in the NID to the modem's jack, and another pair supplying all the POTS outlets.

I posted in another message about the tech install and I believe it was you who said the tech would love the fact it is already cat5 cable in the house. I don't want them re wiring my system.  (Then again, if they do it a way I don't care for, I'll tear it out and redo it myself once the tech leaves!) hehe 😉

I will post on here tomorrow after the install and share my experiences with it.

i'm just glad it's a free install (according to two different support reps) it's not worth $150+ for work I charge $45-$50 for when I do the same thing!

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

12 years ago

Welcome!  Don't be a stranger on the forums.

They are indeed seperate but they usually use the same pair.  If you find that the POTS is interfering with the U-Verse (or Vice Versa), they in rare situations, can separate the two.  They did for me when I was having MAJOR line noise issues.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

Install went great! Rotary phones still working, and the tech was very nice and professional in his workmanship!

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Excellent!  Thanks for letting us know to outcome.  Glad you could keep your rotrary. Smiley Happy

@Telxonius wrote:
Install went great! Rotary phones still working, and the tech was very nice and professional in his workmanship!

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

8 years ago

Please talk to me about vintage rotary phones on AT&T!!! I have one that used to work, but now I can't dial out on it, and it will not ring on incoming calls. I can answer calls and talk, that's all.

I do not have U-verse.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.