Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Tuesday, January 29th, 2013 12:50 AM

U-Verse internet outside use

I have a Uverse wireless laptop that works fine at my home
in Waterbury, CT. But, when I visit my friend in Oxford, CT,
I cannot get a connection to the internet. The lower toolbar
shows 4 signal bars + my friend uses his wireless laptop w/ATT.

Do I really need go to a local hotspot? Thanks, John

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

Wireless internet is different that what you are talking about. You are thinking mobile internet, such as internet on your phone.  AT&T as well as other providers supply wifi hotspots in thousands of locations across the country, usually in a business or airport.  If you are an AT&T subscriber you have access to those.  You originally mentioned that you cannot access your internet at your friends house.  If they have wireless internet then all you need is their passkey to be able access their internet.  If you have a data package on your smart phone you can always enable it as a hotspot and use your laptop to access the internet whereever you have a cell phone signal. This is best done only in absolute necessary times as your data can be used up rather quickly doing this. 

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

You could add one. I have a Trendnet Tew690ap, that allows a external panel antenna to be installed. I did a walk around my property and got about a 30' radius of our 3800hgv-b, but about 75' from the backyard to it.

It has more to do with location of the RG. Netgear also sells a plug-in repeater that you can plug in when outside, then take back inside. If you have a garage and get a signnal out there, you can also try the Netgear WPN802Tv2 Rangemax Repeater/Access point.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@JJL111 wrote:

I have a Uverse wireless laptop that works fine at my home
in Waterbury, CT. But, when I visit my friend in Oxford, CT,
I cannot get a connection to the internet. The lower toolbar
shows 4 signal bars + my friend uses his wireless laptop w/ATT.

Do I really need go to a local hotspot? Thanks, John

You will need to add your friends network and will need his passkey to access his internet.  It doesn't matter which provider your friend uses.  The only time you would actually need a hotspot is when you are in a location that does not have an accessible wifi signal.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

A bit confused. On TV you see people using laptops everywhere outside.

Now it seems you must be home or nearby/hotspots. What's up with ATT?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

@JJL111 wrote:

A bit confused. On TV you see people using laptops everywhere outside.

Now it seems you must be home or nearby/hotspots. What's up with ATT?

Huh?  If you don't want to have to be connected to someone's home network or a to wi-fi hotspot, you would need to have some type of wireless internet card installed in your laptop.  The card would allow you to access the internet via a cell phone network.  Thus, you would be able to connect your laptop to the internet virtually anywhere cell phone service is available.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the info. I wrongly assumed that ATT wireless inet would be available everywhere,

as long as I paid my bill. Looks like I have to get a cell phone wireless card and pay more to

get access  - new at this.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

@JJL111 wrote:

Thanks for the info. I wrongly assumed that ATT wireless inet would be available everywhere,

as long as I paid my bill. Looks like I have to get a cell phone wireless card and pay more to

get access  - new at this.

No, no residential internet service is available everywhere.  The residential service that you pay for is only available when connected to your home network.  AT&T also allows U-verse internet customers free access to AT&T hotspots located throughout the country..

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

my wifi keeps shutting off for like 5 mins then will turn back on for about a minute. it has been happening for the past hour and I have unplugged the router for 30 seconds, plugged it back in and nothing happened. it's been like this for the past two hours. TVs work but the internet doesn't. what do I do?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.