Get the myAT&T app
grunt1996's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, April 7th, 2014 7:57 AM

Thinking about getting U-Verse TV.....

I've had U-Verse WiFi for almost 3 years now and been hearing the same thing that MANY people have about U-Verse TV, "its not available in your area but it will be soon". I checked the app tonight and it says that we have service in our area now but after reading ALOT of the negative reviews I'm not sure if I should switch from Direct TV. We have 4 DVR's, alot of awesome channels & all of the movie channels for $125-$150 monthly. Is it worth the switch???? I need some honest opinions from some people who have had U-Verse TV for a little while cause they've had to come in and change/exchangeoour WiFi box atleast 7-8 times in the past 3 years and I truly don't have the time or patience to deal with that all of the time with my TV too!! Any suggestions???????

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

10 years ago

@grunt1996 wrote:
I've had U-Verse WiFi for almost 3 years now and been hearing the same thing that MANY people have about U-Verse TV, "its not available in your area but it will be soon". I checked the app tonight and it says that we have service in our area now but after reading ALOT of the negative reviews I'm not sure if I should switch from Direct TV. We have 4 DVR's, alot of awesome channels & all of the movie channels for $125-$150 monthly. Is it worth the switch???? I need some honest opinions from some people who have had U-Verse TV for a little while cause they've had to come in and change/exchangeoour WiFi box atleast 7-8 times in the past 3 years and I truly don't have the time or patience to deal with that all of the time with my TV too!! Any suggestions???????

I had Uverse TV and loved it. The price for the U450 package is similar to what you pay now, but you'll get some sort of discount for the first 6 months or so. Keep in mind, since you already have Uverse internet, you won't qualify for some of the bundle promos you see advertised for new customers. 

The only time I ever saw a uverse tech was at the installation and when a truck came down our alley and pulled an overhead wire down.

One word of caution: Uverse has 1 DVR that works on all TVs that are connected. This means all recordings are stored on the one device. I liked it because it meant I didn't have to decide which room I'd watch the recording on later. However, if your house like to use the DVR as a storage medium rather than simply a delayed viewing medium, you may find the more limited storage (IIRC, 400ish hours SD or 150ish hours HD) does not meet your needs.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

grunt1996 - Only you can determine if it is for you. The failure rate is the luck of the draw, but it should be the same as you have experienced with the internet.

Make a list of what is important to you in priority order & check each one out. Does U-verse have all the shows you want or some you do not get now.

I think a critical factor is how many shows does your family watch or record simultaneously. The U-verse limit is four.

Of course, you can go for the U-verse TV without cancelling Direct TV. Run both. This lets you find the faults by your own experience without actually losing service. But, you do have to pay more for the experience.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

1) The only reason you're going to read so many negative reviews is that most people will not go online to post positive results. 

2)  I left DirectTV in 2009 and have not looked back.  I had nothing but issues with Direct and you are locked into a 2 year contract.  I had to fight and threaten legal action against them when I moved and could not get Direct service do to the location of the apartment I was moving into and they still wanted to charge me an ETF.

3) Is UVerser perfect or for everyone? No.  Do your research, check the channel listings and see if your favorites are on there. 

I've only had to replace one box in my 5 years and that was in the first month.  I am at the farthest point to get UVerse in my neighborhood and had sporadic internet until recently when they replaced the existing iNid system with the new router/RG. Since then it's been rock solid.  I don't lose my tv reception during our Texas thunderstorms and have been extremely happy with everything. On the couple of occasions I've had to call customer service or tech support it's been resolved right away. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I've only had Uverse for a week but I regret the decision already. I have the bundle that says 'up to 45 mgb' but Internet and wifi are slower than my previous 'up to 10 . And I can't delete the channels I don't watch, just bought 2 Samsung Smart TVs in Dec, that I previously could delete out channels but no more. Their 'Hide Channel' option doesn't work according to several AT&T techs that were out and the 'Favorites' option that they said would work, doesn't work either, after I kept wasting mytime making favorites list, tried 3 times but after each time when I go to Menu>options>favorites, it won't display my list, it only keeps asking me if I want to make a new list.

frankly I can't wait til my contract is up so I can go back to cable. I should have known you don't go to a phone company to get TV.

But your needs may differ. Good luck

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

PatNtex - Menu>options>favorites is not where you access the favorites guide.
Instead - Menu - 3 down arrows -OK

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I get the U300 plus all the movie channels, and the price is about the same (maybe a bit less for U-Verse).

I can't compare to DirectTV, but compared to Comcast, the sound quality isn't so hot (get occasional, brief drops in surround sound; about 1 second or so, couple of times an hour).  Video quality is good.

I'm learing that like with any other large company, it may be wise to either get all of your terms and conditions in writing, or if you sign up online, get screenshots of what you think you're getting.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.