Get the myAT&T app
k2mp12345's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Friday, February 21st, 2014 12:53 AM

Closed

Signed a 1-year contract and then AT&T raised price

I was going to cancel my service in December last year, but when I called to cancel, AT&T offered U200 for a certain rate for 12 months in exchange for me signing a contract for one-year.  So I agreed to keep AT&T U-Verse for 1 year and pay that set price.

Subsequent to our agreement, AT&T raised the bill by ~$4 in February (yes, the notification was in the December bill but that bill was generated after I entered into the one-year contract).

I had an online chat with customer care and I was told that it is AT&T's policy to apply the rate increase even to customers who are under a contract.  I sent a private message this past weekend but I have yet to hear back.

It is absurd that AT&T thinks this is okay:

1) If I cancel the service before December this year, I have to pay a penalty.

2) Yet AT&T can raise the rate at any time without my consent.

3) If I don't like the rate increase, I can cancel the service but I still have to pay the penalty.

Is anyone else having this same issue (i.e., those who have to pay a penalty if they were to cancel within the contract period, similar to how cell phone contracts work)?  Please share your experience here.  Thanks.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@don1jones wrote:

Flood Better Business Bureau with complaints.  I just want a bumper sticker that says QUIT USING AT&T.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

ROFLMAO.   Do you really think the BBB cares?  Businesses pay to be a member of the BBB and the BBB looks out for businesses.  If you don't like rate increases on your services, cancel everything and get a rooftop antenna and a vcr.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@don1jones wrote:
According to a manager in the recovery dept--AT&T has year after year given discounts WE shouldn't have received and a corporate decision was to stop giving existing customers discounts. Meant nothing to her that my bill went from $150 to $235 in one month. THEY DON'T CARE.

That is the nature of an expiring discount.  You had a very good limited-time discount.  It expired. You can either pay the new amount, downgrade to a lower service tier, or possibly upgrade and get a new package.  Or you can really take it to AT&T and go elsewhere.

All these providers do the same thing.  Charter advertises a $99 triple play constantly.  Guess how much that costs when the introductory period is over?  Guess how much luck you have extending it?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I thought I was the only person this has happened to. My bill was stated to me to be 105/month for 12 months.. the first month I had an issue so they deducted me to 77 bucks. that was fine.  Next month. I saw 100.36 charge. also fine.  the next month, 134 and change. Ever since I've had uverse every month my bill is different in price. it's very irritating. it almost makes me want to cut it completely. I called to complain and they gave me a $200 credit.  On top of this I was promised a $200 gift card for keeping the servie when I moved into my new house.  I can't stand the inconsistency. It's irritating.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I signed up in late November 2013 for a U-Verse package with a fixed "total monthly reoccurring charge" listed for a "promo length term" of 24 months.  By February 2014, they increased the monthly charge.  They are now saying that my agreement did not cover the receiver charges, so they can increase the monthly charge for the receivers whenever they want.  There is nothing in the agreement I signed to that effect - it clearly states the total monthly reoccurring charges and the promo length period without any proviso for the charge increasing.  But they increased the charges 2 months into the contract without any change in my services.  That is deceptive, plain and simple.

Mentor

• 

75 Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

@dydxlnx wrote:

See? It is your fault for not knowing that they one-year plan they sold you on was not really a one-year plan.

Jeffer does a wonderful job of explaining that it happens every year, but completely ignores the fact that you were sold a plan at a fixed rate. He assumes that we as customers should know that when a rep sells us a plan at a fixed price for a year, it is not really fixed. It is only fixed until they decide to raise it--regardless of their promises.

He said that one month after his introductory plan expired, the price went up again.  So... what does this have to do with your assertions?

You are correct. I misread the question, assuming his experience was similar to my own--i.e. the fixed for a year price going up the next month. How does your response apply to that?

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

You were given a discount on the package price, fees and taxes are not included in this promo price.  Every February prices go up, regardless of whether you are in a promo price or not.

Mentor

• 

75 Messages

10 years ago

It is, indeed. You will soon get a response stating the ATT policy that the promo price applies only to the basic rate--not to equipment--and that you should have known that.

My basic cost went up, not equipment rental, since I am not renting equipment, but that doesn't matter to them.

Good luck on getting any satisfation.

Mentor

• 

75 Messages

10 years ago

@oufanindallas wrote:

You were given a discount on the package price, fees and taxes are not included in this promo price.  Every February prices go up, regardless of whether you are in a promo price or not.

And here it is, the explanation that despite the fact that we are told--and sometimes get in writing--that the price is fixed for a year, it really isn't. We should have known.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@dydxlnx wrote:

@oufanindallas wrote:

And here it is, the explanation that despite the fact that we are told--and sometimes get in writing--that the price is fixed for a year, it really isn't. We should have known.

If you have it in wrting and you look under the terms you will see that fees are not covered.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@dydxlnx wrote:

You are correct. I misread the question, assuming his experience was similar to my own--i.e. the fixed for a year price going up the next month. How does your response apply to that?

It did not need to apply to your issue.  My response was appropriate to the post I was replying to.

I am not fully conversant with the details of your situation, I wasn't there.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.