Get the myAT&T app
ticarter's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, March 25th, 2013 1:54 AM

Recording multiple programs and watching multiple televisions

When I am recording three programs simultaneously, why is it that when I turn a television in one room that another television in another part of the house has a message pop up with three choices: remain on channel X, (don't remember the second choice), and interrupt a TV?  I immediately turned off the television I had just turned on, but that did not solve the problem. I tried to stop one or more the recordings, and that was not successful.  I finally told my husband to click on the third choice -- interrupt a TV. That worked; he was able to change channels to watch the NCAA, my recordings continued to record, but I was not able to watch television any where else in the house.

We have three televisions and usually we do not get this message unless I have made the mistake of setting a recording that is in HD. Therefore, I try not to record any HD programs if at all possible even though I have HD on all televisions.  We do have a U-Verse receiver for each television and each is capable of recording programs, so I am not undering why I can only have one television operating when three programs are being recorded. Could it be that since we have been a U-Verse customer since 2007 our receivers are a bit out of date? I know that in the beginning any recordings had to be done through the main receiver, but now the other two receivers are capable of recording programs. Also, I do not set my recordings through the receivers, I set up everything through my computer (att.com). What am I doing wrong?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I should have looked for this forum first, very helpful! Last night I was recording 3, watching 1 HD and attempted to watch 1 SD and got the "Turn one off, or watch a recorded program" error message displayed. This is identified in this thread as a "stream limitation". OK, it's really a bandwidth limitation inherent with ADSL2+ or even VDSL which is dependent on how far you are from the DSLAM. The longer your copper wire run is the less bandwidth you have. I think I'm a block away, maybe 200 - 250 yards so that shouldn't be an issue but I think the "stream limit" is more applicable to everybody gets the same service based on the lowest sustainable level. You wouldn't want your friend a block away to have better service than you when you're paying the same price would you?  That mighyt cause some issues for AT&T. I have 3 set tops and I record a lot of content because I only have 2 to 2.5 hours of viewing time a day. It's blatantly obvious when I have guests this will be an issue. If AT&T monitors this forum please educate me if you believe I'm wrong. I'll give it a few days and see what pops. No comprendo means see ya AT&T, going with someone else who doesn't have this limitation.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

There are a few different levels of service available depending on distance. As you point out the copper transport is severly bandwidth limited. It is not for everyone. It works for me. Better to have the current limit of service than no service at all.

I watch all recorded shows. Many each day & have not experienced conflicts.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@Vondehart wrote:

I should have looked for this forum first, very helpful! Last night I was recording 3, watching 1 HD and attempted to watch 1 SD and got the "Turn one off, or watch a recorded program" error message displayed. This is identified in this thread as a "stream limitation". OK, it's really a bandwidth limitation inherent with ADSL2+ or even VDSL which is dependent on how far you are from the DSLAM. The longer your copper wire run is the less bandwidth you have. I think I'm a block away, maybe 200 - 250 yards so that shouldn't be an issue but I think the "stream limit" is more applicable to everybody gets the same service based on the lowest sustainable level. You wouldn't want your friend a block away to have better service than you when you're paying the same price would you?  That mighyt cause some issues for AT&T. I have 3 set tops and I record a lot of content because I only have 2 to 2.5 hours of viewing time a day. It's blatantly obvious when I have guests this will be an issue. If AT&T monitors this forum please educate me if you believe I'm wrong. I'll give it a few days and see what pops. No comprendo means see ya AT&T, going with someone else who doesn't have this limitation.

No, you only have 4 streams coming in for live watching/recording as does everyone else, distance does not affect this.  It just chages the HD/SD mix.  Also any number of TVs can watch the same programs w/in this 4 stream limit.

But can also watch upto 3 recordings on STBs and another recording at the TV connected to the DVR as that doesn't count in the 3 recording count. 

So, 8 different possible programs can be watched at the same time on 8 TVs. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, I understand that if you want to attempt to schedule viewing live and recorded streams with your family and guests that is certainly an option. I don't know about you but I can't herd cats who are used to having it their way. Compared to the provider I had before I could watch 10 live HD streams and record 30 more simultaneously (no stream limits, only hardware limits that can only display 1 live and record 3 streams at once (4 RF-channel multi-tuner limit in each DVR enabled HD box). I'll check with my neighbors and see if the provider has fixed the local plant issuess I left them for...squirrels like to eat aluminum coaxial hard-line in GA and the service was poor. AT&T is stable and reliable until you hit the "stream" (imposed bandwidth) limit. Looks like it is becoming a reliability versus capability issue for me. Oh well, I guess I could always go the my off-air broadcasts (reliable) and TiVo to eliminate half of the problem. Then it becomes how much broadband capacity I want to chew on.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

My wife is currently recording two shows in HD and wants to watch a third, but is unable to do so. She can only watch an SD show. From the looks of this discussion, she should be able to watch a third HD with no issues. Any thoughts?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.