U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 14, 2013
4:05:30 PM
View profile
Internet equipment fee: one time vs monthly

Hello,

So I'm looking into getting U-Verse and noticed the following:

• If I only order Internet, there is a one time fee of $100 to purchase an 'Internet Gateway' (unspecified)
  • If I order TV + Internet bundle, there is a monthly $6 'High Speed Internet Equipment Fee' to lease the Residential Gateway (2Wire 3800HGV).

I'd rather have a one-time fee than pay $6/mo in perpetuity.

Can't I just order Internet, buy the gateway, and then add TV later?

IF, the equipment is the same, does anyone know if there will be some sort of activation and/or installation fee to add TV service?

Also, IF the equipment is the same, does anyone know if this means there will be no $6/mo fee?

Or is the equipment involved different, i.e. the 'Internet Gateway' can't be used for U-Verse TV, and I'd end up with that monthly fee anyway?

I've asked two AT&T CS rep (one on website, one by phone), and of course I got two different answers. One (website) said it's the exact same equipment, and the other (phone) says TV requires 'additional' equipment.

I suspect the answer is that I can't avoid that $6/mo lease fee, but I appreciate a clarification from people who know better.

Thanks!

Hello,

So I'm looking into getting U-Verse and noticed the following:

• If I only order Internet, there is a one time fee of $100 to purchase an 'Internet Gateway' (unspecified)
  • If I order TV + Internet bundle, there is a monthly $6 'High Speed Internet Equipment Fee' to lease the Residential Gateway (2Wire 3800HGV).

I'd rather have a one-time fee than pay $6/mo in perpetuity.

Can't I just order Internet, buy the gateway, and then add TV later?

IF, the equipment is the same, does anyone know if there will be some sort of activation and/or installation fee to add TV service?

Also, IF the equipment is the same, does anyone know if this means there will be no $6/mo fee?

Or is the equipment involved different, i.e. the 'Internet Gateway' can't be used for U-Verse TV, and I'd end up with that monthly fee anyway?

I've asked two AT&T CS rep (one on website, one by phone), and of course I got two different answers. One (website) said it's the exact same equipment, and the other (phone) says TV requires 'additional' equipment.

I suspect the answer is that I can't avoid that $6/mo lease fee, but I appreciate a clarification from people who know better.

Thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 14, 2013 4:25:42 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Aug 14, 2013 at 4:26:55 PM

The equipment is not the same. If you order Internet only, you will get either a 2Wire 3600HGV or a Pace 5031NV gateway. Neither of these gateways support IPTV service.

If you order IPTV + Internet, you will get a 2Wire 3800HGV-B, 2Wire 3801HGV, 2Wire i3812V/i38HG (if required due to distance), or perhaps a brand new Motorola NVG589. All of these require the $6/month rental fee.

If you order Internet only, get one of the 2 Internet-only gateways for $100, and then upgrade to IPTV service, you will get a new IPTV-capable gateway, still pay the $6/month fee, and have a spare gateway that you can't do anything with.

Accepted Solution

Internet equipment fee: one time vs monthly

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 14, 2013 4:25:42 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Aug 14, 2013 at 4:26:55 PM

The equipment is not the same. If you order Internet only, you will get either a 2Wire 3600HGV or a Pace 5031NV gateway. Neither of these gateways support IPTV service.

If you order IPTV + Internet, you will get a 2Wire 3800HGV-B, 2Wire 3801HGV, 2Wire i3812V/i38HG (if required due to distance), or perhaps a brand new Motorola NVG589. All of these require the $6/month rental fee.

If you order Internet only, get one of the 2 Internet-only gateways for $100, and then upgrade to IPTV service, you will get a new IPTV-capable gateway, still pay the $6/month fee, and have a spare gateway that you can't do anything with.

Re: Internet equipment fee: one time vs monthly

[ Edited ]
2 of 8 (6,951 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 4:28:52 PM
(0)
Voyager
Thanks!

Appreciate the explanation.
Thanks!

Appreciate the explanation.

3 of 8 (6,942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 5:26:24 PM
(0)
Employee
Agree both types of services use different gateways....for your consideration
Internet only two types of installs available
1) CSI ...customer self install...charge $50 TECH does all outside work to NID, you are responsible from NID to RG for inside wiring, jacks, etc
....the 3600 or 5031 is shipped to you, do not need to be home, notified of when service will be activated,follow instructions that come with RG.
....if issue with completing install,may request tech visit for assistance charge $99.....
2) FTI...full tech install....charge $149 tech does all work inside and outside, requires a 4 hour window for you to be home plus time of install.

Both options above the purchased RG comes with a one year warranty, if any issues during warranty return RGfor credit, after the warranty you buy another RG $100

If ordering tv service with internet requires FTI, 4 hour appointment window plus time of install, the RG is leased $6/month but any issues equipment replaced at no additional cost.

If have internet service for three years on internet only FTI recommended and replace RG once (100+149+100=349) plus monthly internet fee.
Same service with tv added to internet (installation $149 WAIVED, TV ACTIVATED $50, 36 months @6 =266) plus higher tv/hsia monthy fees.

Hope this helps to clarify your decision.
Agree both types of services use different gateways....for your consideration
Internet only two types of installs available
1) CSI ...customer self install...charge $50 TECH does all outside work to NID, you are responsible from NID to RG for inside wiring, jacks, etc
....the 3600 or 5031 is shipped to you, do not need to be home, notified of when service will be activated,follow instructions that come with RG.
....if issue with completing install,may request tech visit for assistance charge $99.....
2) FTI...full tech install....charge $149 tech does all work inside and outside, requires a 4 hour window for you to be home plus time of install.

Both options above the purchased RG comes with a one year warranty, if any issues during warranty return RGfor credit, after the warranty you buy another RG $100

If ordering tv service with internet requires FTI, 4 hour appointment window plus time of install, the RG is leased $6/month but any issues equipment replaced at no additional cost.

If have internet service for three years on internet only FTI recommended and replace RG once (100+149+100=349) plus monthly internet fee.
Same service with tv added to internet (installation $149 WAIVED, TV ACTIVATED $50, 36 months @6 =266) plus higher tv/hsia monthy fees.

Hope this helps to clarify your decision.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 8 (6,915 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 12:44:00 AM
(0)
Teacher

Hi SomeJoe777. I have the Pace modem you mention here 5310NV. I want to bridge it to an Apple Airport Extreme. I can follow directions. Where do I find out how to do this, please?

Hi SomeJoe777. I have the Pace modem you mention here 5310NV. I want to bridge it to an Apple Airport Extreme. I can follow directions. Where do I find out how to do this, please?

5 of 8 (6,474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 5:11:58 PM
(0)
Expert

See the following post for instructions to set up your own router using the DMZPlus feature:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

This hasn't been specifically tested with the 5031NV, but is should work the same as the other 2Wire/Pace gateways.

See the following post for instructions to set up your own router using the DMZPlus feature:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182

This hasn't been specifically tested with the 5031NV, but is should work the same as the other 2Wire/Pace gateways.

6 of 8 (6,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2014 9:15:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

I've had ATT U-Verse with TV and Internet services only for 2.5 years, and a 2-Wire 765 modem/router is currently installed. Moving to internet-only service (the MAX service level works fine for us) at completion of contract. My guess is that, to avoid monthly modem fees, I'll need to pay the internet-only modem charge of $100. Will there be an installation fee since I'm a current customer? What else should I know in order to handle this change easily?

I've had ATT U-Verse with TV and Internet services only for 2.5 years, and a 2-Wire 765 modem/router is currently installed. Moving to internet-only service (the MAX service level works fine for us) at completion of contract. My guess is that, to avoid monthly modem fees, I'll need to pay the internet-only modem charge of $100. Will there be an installation fee since I'm a current customer? What else should I know in order to handle this change easily?

7 of 8 (2,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2014 3:58:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

WiTa777 wrote:

You will still pay the $6 monthly as you will have the same equipment. 

There will be no charges or fees to make the change. 

When you disconnect the TV, AT&T will send you an email with instructions to return the TV equipment. The simple explanation: You will take the DVR and STBs to any UPS store and they will box them up and ship to AT&T and no charge to you. You will need your account number (from the bill) and order number (as the rep when you disconnect the TV if s/he doesn't offer it).

WiTa777 wrote:

You will still pay the $6 monthly as you will have the same equipment. 

There will be no charges or fees to make the change. 

When you disconnect the TV, AT&T will send you an email with instructions to return the TV equipment. The simple explanation: You will take the DVR and STBs to any UPS store and they will box them up and ship to AT&T and no charge to you. You will need your account number (from the bill) and order number (as the rep when you disconnect the TV if s/he doesn't offer it).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 8 (2,141 Views)