sylly's profile

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 11:05 PM

Internet equipment fee: one time vs monthly

Hello,

So I'm looking into getting U-Verse and noticed the following:

• If I only order Internet, there is a one time fee of $100 to purchase an 'Internet Gateway' (unspecified)
  • If I order TV + Internet bundle, there is a monthly $6 'High Speed Internet Equipment Fee' to lease the Residential Gateway (2Wire 3800HGV).

I'd rather have a one-time fee than pay $6/mo in perpetuity.

Can't I just order Internet, buy the gateway, and then add TV later?

IF, the equipment is the same, does anyone know if there will be some sort of activation and/or installation fee to add TV service?

Also, IF the equipment is the same, does anyone know if this means there will be no $6/mo fee?

Or is the equipment involved different, i.e. the 'Internet Gateway' can't be used for U-Verse TV, and I'd end up with that monthly fee anyway?

I've asked two AT&T CS rep (one on website, one by phone), and of course I got two different answers. One (website) said it's the exact same equipment, and the other (phone) says TV requires 'additional' equipment.

I suspect the answer is that I can't avoid that $6/mo lease fee, but I appreciate a clarification from people who know better.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

The equipment is not the same. If you order Internet only, you will get either a 2Wire 3600HGV or a Pace 5031NV gateway. Neither of these gateways support IPTV service.

If you order IPTV + Internet, you will get a 2Wire 3800HGV-B, 2Wire 3801HGV, 2Wire i3812V/i38HG (if required due to distance), or perhaps a brand new Motorola NVG589. All of these require the $6/month rental fee.

If you order Internet only, get one of the 2 Internet-only gateways for $100, and then upgrade to IPTV service, you will get a new IPTV-capable gateway, still pay the $6/month fee, and have a spare gateway that you can't do anything with.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks!

Appreciate the explanation.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Hi SomeJoe777. I have the Pace modem you mention here 5310NV. I want to bridge it to an Apple Airport Extreme. I can follow directions. Where do I find out how to do this, please?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

See the following post for instructions to set up your own router using the DMZPlus feature:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182

This hasn't been specifically tested with the 5031NV, but is should work the same as the other 2Wire/Pace gateways.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I've had ATT U-Verse with TV and Internet services only for 2.5 years, and a 2-Wire 765 modem/router is currently installed. Moving to internet-only service (the MAX service level works fine for us) at completion of contract. My guess is that, to avoid monthly modem fees, I'll need to pay the internet-only modem charge of $100. Will there be an installation fee since I'm a current customer? What else should I know in order to handle this change easily?

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

10 years ago

@WiTa777 wrote:

I've had ATT U-Verse with TV and Internet services only for 2.5 years, and a 2-Wire 765 modem/router is currently installed. Moving to internet-only service (the MAX service level works fine for us) at completion of contract. My guess is that, to avoid monthly modem fees, I'll need to pay the internet-only modem charge of $100. Will there be an installation fee since I'm a current customer? What else should I know in order to handle this change easily?

You will still pay the $6 monthly as you will have the same equipment. 

There will be no charges or fees to make the change. 

When you disconnect the TV, AT&T will send you an email with instructions to return the TV equipment. The simple explanation: You will take the DVR and STBs to any UPS store and they will box them up and ship to AT&T and no charge to you. You will need your account number (from the bill) and order number (as the rep when you disconnect the TV if s/he doesn't offer it).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.