Get the myAT&T app
moondoggy51's profile

Teacher

• 

35 Messages

Tuesday, April 15th, 2014 2:01 PM

How is UVerse physically different for phone/internet service from their old phone/DSL service?

Can someone who was converted over from ATT's old phone/DSL service to UVerse tell me the differences between the two?

I'm moving to Florida and my subdivision is 50% converted to UVerse and my new home is in the half that is NOT UVerse.  I already have the ATT modem/router but unfortunately my home doesn't have a phone line in the room where I want to connect the modem/router.  So my choice is to place the modem elsewhere in the house and swich my desktop PC to wireless or have an electrician come in and run a phone line into the room where PC is going to be so I can retain my physical Ethernet connection between my PC and modem/router.

From what I've been told, when ATT gets ready to convert the rest of the subdivision to UVerse I'll be forced to change my internet and phone connection over to that method of connection but I know nothing about ATT's UVerse connection to determine what the impact will be.  Here are some questions I have that perhaps someone can answer:

Does UVerse still work using the existing copper wire lines in the home or does UVerse work using the COAX cables that another cable company might use?

Does UVerse use the same modem/router that I have today or do they require you to switch equipment?  If they require a switch of equipment do you have to pay for a new modem/router if you already have a DSL modem/router?  Is there any monthly rental on the new equipment or does ATT stay with their pay up front mode?

How do standard telephones connnect if you have UVerse vs. a standard wireline connection?

I have had satellite service for years and do not want UVerse TV services.  Will that impact my phone and internet services once we switch to UVerse?

The issue is this.....  If UVerse uses the COAX cables in my home and a cable type modem/router instead of what I have today I will have a point of connection in the room where my PC is going to be so I can have a wired Ethernet connection between the PC and the modem/router.  If this was the case I would probably buy a wireless NIC for my PC as an interim solution to not having a wired phone line in the room where I want the modem/router to be.  If, however, ATT UVerse uses the existing copper lines then I would probably have an electrician come in and run a wire line into the room where I want the PC and the modem/router to be.

Can anyone explain for me how this works?

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

10 years ago

@moondoggy51 wrote:

Can someone who was converted over from ATT's old phone/DSL service to UVerse tell me the differences between the two?

Uverse is fed from the VRAD and Dsl feeds from the CO

I'm moving to Florida and my subdivision is 50% converted to UVerse and my new home is in the half that is NOT UVerse.  I already have the ATT modem/router but unfortunately my home doesn't have a phone line in the room where I want to connect the modem/router.  So my choice is to place the modem elsewhere in the house and swich my desktop PC to wireless or have an electrician come in and run a phone line into the room where PC is going to be so I can retain my physical Ethernet connection between my PC and modem/router.

From what I've been told, when ATT gets ready to convert the rest of the subdivision to UVerse I'll be forced to change my internet and phone connection over to that method of connection but I know nothing about ATT's UVerse connection to determine what the impact will be.  Here are some questions I have that perhaps someone can answer:

Does UVerse still work using the existing copper wire lines in the home or does UVerse work using the COAX cables that another cable company might use?

Uverse uses copper to the side of the house unless you are one of the rare few that has Fiber to the building, Uverse gateways  can use either or copper/coax. 

Does UVerse use the same modem/router that I have today or do they require you to switch equipment?  If they require a switch of equipment do you have to pay for a new modem/router if you already have a DSL modem/router?  Is there any monthly rental on the new equipment or does ATT stay with their pay up front mode?

The Uverse Gateway uses a different modem thabn DSL,Depending on the services you choose will determine if you need to buy lease or receive as part of your package you will need to speak to a sales rep to determine whats available .

How do standard telephones connnect if you have UVerse vs. a standard wireline connection?

I have had satellite service for years and do not want UVerse TV services.  Will that impact my phone and internet services once we switch to UVerse?

As far as telephone you can keep the POTS (wireline) or go with VOIP if available in your area thats entirely up to you. With voip the dailtone comes from the gateway, you can plug a phone directly into the back of the gateway or blug a cord from the gateway to a phone jack, with a little rewiring but your technician should do this for you as part of the install

The issue is this.....  If UVerse uses the COAX cables in my home and a cable type modem/router instead of what I have today I will have a point of connection in the room where my PC is going to be so I can have a wired Ethernet connection between the PC and the modem/router.  If this was the case I would probably buy a wireless NIC for my PC as an interim solution to not having a wired phone line in the room where I want the modem/router to be.  If, however, ATT UVerse uses the existing copper lines then I would probably have an electrician come in and run a wire line into the room where I want the PC and the modem/router to be.

Can anyone explain for me how this works?

Teacher

• 

35 Messages

10 years ago

So from an inside wiring perspective, if you want to place your modem/router (be it ATT wireline or UVerse) in a specifc room, you still need copper wire in that room for the connection, correct?  My problem is that the room where I want the modem to be located does not have a phone line only coax cable and if I need a phone line in that room I believe, from what you're telling me is that I'll need to hire an electrician to come in and run wire to that room.  Let me know if I'm correct.  Thanks!

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

10 years ago

correct without tv service you are provided a gateway without a coax input to feed signal to the rg

Teacher

• 

35 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks so much for clearing that up for me.  If it was coax and ATT provided a cable type modem I may have opted to put a wireless NIC in my desktop PC and waited for UVerse to come along but if I need copper wire either way I'll get an electrician in there to run the wire.  Sometimes the simple questions (i.e. what type of wiring is needed) is the most difficult answer to get because the sales people typically are not technical and don't have these kinds of answers redily available.  Thanks again for your help.

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

10 years ago

The real difference???

AT&T only works half the time...

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@mbondi wrote:

The real difference???

AT&T only works half the time...

NOT TRUE.  I've had UVerse since 2009 mine's been rock solid 99.9% of the time.  That .01% it was fixed quickly and professionally.  

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

10 years ago

Wow. Tomorrow makes 2 months since I had services installed. Still waiting for technicians to get the bugs out and get everything turned on. I've had 10 technicians out already.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.