Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Aug 14, 2014
7:29:54 PM
View profile
How can AT&T say they offer customer service?
Edited by Phil-101 on Aug 14, 2014 at 9:14:37 PM

I just sat on the cellphone for 1 hour and 20 minutes to cancel my ATT Uverse (Cable/Internet) before ATT had even installed it.  I hung up before being able to speak with an agent.  I had installation scheduled for August 12, 2014, between the horus of 11-1.  I waited and waited.  No one came.  At 2 I called (initially through AllConnect, who were equally unhelpful) and finally about 2:30 I was able to speak with someone at AT&T who informed me that the installation was held up because there had been another account before on the house I am living at.  AT&T never bothered to inform me until I spoke with her; she said that they don't contact customers by telephone but by email.  I asked if anyone had sent me an email, and she said no.  Then she said the next available installation date was August 19, which she scheduled.  She wasn't even friendly.  Immediately afterwards, I called TimeWarner and inquired about installation.  I explained what had happened with AT&T, the agent put me on hold a minute to ask his supervisor and when he returned said they could install it the next day (August 13) between 2-3:00PM.  I agreed.  Lo and behold Time Warner showed up and installed it as scheduled!  Tonight after returning from the university I called AT&T to cancel.  Actually, first I called AllConnect, and was given a number to call at AT&T.  After waiting 5 minutes, I was able to speak with an agent at that AT&T number said I had to call a separate number for cancellations, she was only in charge of opening accounts.  I called the "cancellation" number and waited on hold for 1 hour and 20 minutes before hanging up.  I will not try to cancel it again.  I will also never consider AT&T for anything again.  Furthermore, I am a university business professor that will be receiving approximately 500 Master's level exchange students in the next two weeks, who will stay here 6-12 months.  I will be helping with their orientation.  Guess which company I will recommend they use for their cable/internet?  NOT AT&T! For the rest of my career I will recommend to all of my students to avoid AT&T.   If you wish to check the details, the first number I called was 1-888*****. The second, for cancellation, was 1-844*****  The confirmation number was AC****.  There is no excuse for such poor customer service.  There is also no excuse for having only a 5 minute wait for opening new customer accounts, but over 1 hour and 20 minutes to try to cancel an account! In the long run, elevating customer switching costs in such a manner will only hurt AT&T by developing an even worse reputation than it already has!

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

I just sat on the cellphone for 1 hour and 20 minutes to cancel my ATT Uverse (Cable/Internet) before ATT had even installed it.  I hung up before being able to speak with an agent.  I had installation scheduled for August 12, 2014, between the horus of 11-1.  I waited and waited.  No one came.  At 2 I called (initially through AllConnect, who were equally unhelpful) and finally about 2:30 I was able to speak with someone at AT&T who informed me that the installation was held up because there had been another account before on the house I am living at.  AT&T never bothered to inform me until I spoke with her; she said that they don't contact customers by telephone but by email.  I asked if anyone had sent me an email, and she said no.  Then she said the next available installation date was August 19, which she scheduled.  She wasn't even friendly.  Immediately afterwards, I called TimeWarner and inquired about installation.  I explained what had happened with AT&T, the agent put me on hold a minute to ask his supervisor and when he returned said they could install it the next day (August 13) between 2-3:00PM.  I agreed.  Lo and behold Time Warner showed up and installed it as scheduled!  Tonight after returning from the university I called AT&T to cancel.  Actually, first I called AllConnect, and was given a number to call at AT&T.  After waiting 5 minutes, I was able to speak with an agent at that AT&T number said I had to call a separate number for cancellations, she was only in charge of opening accounts.  I called the "cancellation" number and waited on hold for 1 hour and 20 minutes before hanging up.  I will not try to cancel it again.  I will also never consider AT&T for anything again.  Furthermore, I am a university business professor that will be receiving approximately 500 Master's level exchange students in the next two weeks, who will stay here 6-12 months.  I will be helping with their orientation.  Guess which company I will recommend they use for their cable/internet?  NOT AT&T! For the rest of my career I will recommend to all of my students to avoid AT&T.   If you wish to check the details, the first number I called was 1-888*****. The second, for cancellation, was 1-844*****  The confirmation number was AC****.  There is no excuse for such poor customer service.  There is also no excuse for having only a 5 minute wait for opening new customer accounts, but over 1 hour and 20 minutes to try to cancel an account! In the long run, elevating customer switching costs in such a manner will only hurt AT&T by developing an even worse reputation than it already has!

How can AT&T say they offer customer service?

[ Edited ]
4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2014 7:34:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

AT&T doesn't give out 2 hour windows for installation. They hand out 4 hour windows and almost every single one of them start on an even-numbered hour.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

AT&T doesn't give out 2 hour windows for installation. They hand out 4 hour windows and almost every single one of them start on an even-numbered hour.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How can AT&T say they offer customer service?

2 of 5 (247 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2014 7:46:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello....I was actually offered installation between 9-11 or 11-1 by the first agent when I was signing up, so yes, I was offered two hour windows, not four hour windows.  I don't believe you were on the phone line at the time listening to the conversation.  I chose 11-1.  The second agent, when I called to report that I had waited for hours with no installation, said that I had a "requested installation date" but not a confirmed one and she scheduled a new installation for August 19th.

Hello....I was actually offered installation between 9-11 or 11-1 by the first agent when I was signing up, so yes, I was offered two hour windows, not four hour windows.  I don't believe you were on the phone line at the time listening to the conversation.  I chose 11-1.  The second agent, when I called to report that I had waited for hours with no installation, said that I had a "requested installation date" but not a confirmed one and she scheduled a new installation for August 19th.

3 of 5 (241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 7:39:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

UnhappyNC wrote:

I sounds like you place your original Uverse order through a third party, which likely caused the issues involved. 

The good news is, the order will automatically be cancelled if it's not installed, so that will solve your issue. 

UnhappyNC wrote:

I sounds like you place your original Uverse order through a third party, which likely caused the issues involved. 

The good news is, the order will automatically be cancelled if it's not installed, so that will solve your issue. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 10:29:52 AM
(0)
Contributor

not true  They actually set two accounts for our house which cost me my reward cards for refer  a friend . Our window was a two hour window also.

not true  They actually set two accounts for our house which cost me my reward cards for refer  a friend . Our window was a two hour window also.

5 of 5 (179 Views)