Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 25, 2014
10:52:14 AM
View profile
High Speed Internet Equipment Fee? Can I buy my own modem?

Hi there, 

I have monthly High Speed Internet Equipment Fee of 7 bucks for my router lease. I already know the benefits of having a leased item in terms of warranty. Does anyone know if I can return my router and purchase my own? I figure out compatibility on my own, I just can't seem to figure out if AT&T allows this... I am happy with the service and plan to keep it for at least the next couple of years. As it stands, I will be paying 84 bucks total for the year, 168 if I keep the service for 2 years. There are other options out there where I can get router/modems w/ a myriad of additional features beyond those of my current leased router. 

Hi there, 

I have monthly High Speed Internet Equipment Fee of 7 bucks for my router lease. I already know the benefits of having a leased item in terms of warranty. Does anyone know if I can return my router and purchase my own? I figure out compatibility on my own, I just can't seem to figure out if AT&T allows this... I am happy with the service and plan to keep it for at least the next couple of years. As it stands, I will be paying 84 bucks total for the year, 168 if I keep the service for 2 years. There are other options out there where I can get router/modems w/ a myriad of additional features beyond those of my current leased router. 

High Speed Internet Equipment Fee? Can I buy my own modem?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2014 11:34:36 AM
(0)
Employee
Yes and No....
meaning it depends....
type of service... if have IPTV service lease only
............................. if have Power internet lease only
............................. if have a bonded install due to loop length lease only.

If on a single pair install with 3800... 3801... or 589 broanband1 only
subscribed to PRO.. ELITE... MAX... MAX PLUS... or MAX TURBO
internet only or internet voip bundle then YES...
Purchase either a 3600 or 5031... new $100 1 year warranty.
Return leased unit and verify next billing cycle fee is removed charge applied.

Required a Uverse RG... any other features desire can purchase your own snd place behind RG in either DMZ mode if pace 2 wire RG or IP passthrough on Motorola.
Yes and No....
meaning it depends....
type of service... if have IPTV service lease only
............................. if have Power internet lease only
............................. if have a bonded install due to loop length lease only.

If on a single pair install with 3800... 3801... or 589 broanband1 only
subscribed to PRO.. ELITE... MAX... MAX PLUS... or MAX TURBO
internet only or internet voip bundle then YES...
Purchase either a 3600 or 5031... new $100 1 year warranty.
Return leased unit and verify next billing cycle fee is removed charge applied.

Required a Uverse RG... any other features desire can purchase your own snd place behind RG in either DMZ mode if pace 2 wire RG or IP passthrough on Motorola.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: High Speed Internet Equipment Fee? Can I buy my own modem?

2 of 6 (1,891 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2014 5:23:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the info, so I have both U200 Tv and 3801 w/ max plus internet...is it possible to buy my own? I would much rather buy a non 2wire router. For example, would it be possible to use the NETGEAR D6200? It is an AC router w/ a built in DSL modem. Thanks for your help! 

Thanks for the info, so I have both U200 Tv and 3801 w/ max plus internet...is it possible to buy my own? I would much rather buy a non 2wire router. For example, would it be possible to use the NETGEAR D6200? It is an AC router w/ a built in DSL modem. Thanks for your help! 

3 of 6 (1,849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2014 11:04:31 PM
(0)
Employee
You may purchase the Netgear and place behind in DMZ mode.

ALL Uverse services an ATT RG.
All TV packages with internet requires a leased RG.

To have a purchased RG without monthly lease fee will need to cancel service.
Available purchased RG new or used that will work on yourr vdsl service are the 3600 similiar to 3800... and 5031 similar to 3801. Neither the 3600 or 5031 purchased RG support Uverse IPTV service.

You may then place your Netgear unit behind the purchased RG in DMZ.

You may purchase the Netgear and place behind in DMZ mode.

ALL Uverse services an ATT RG.
All TV packages with internet requires a leased RG.

To have a purchased RG without monthly lease fee will need to cancel service.
Available purchased RG new or used that will work on yourr vdsl service are the 3600 similiar to 3800... and 5031 similar to 3801. Neither the 3600 or 5031 purchased RG support Uverse IPTV service.

You may then place your Netgear unit behind the purchased RG in DMZ.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 6 (1,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2014 11:05:56 PM
(0)
Employee
Note to above.... to have purchased RG without monthly lease fee will need to cancel TV service...
Note to above.... to have purchased RG without monthly lease fee will need to cancel TV service...

5 of 6 (1,831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2014 9:01:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you for the information! Much appreciated! 

Thank you for the information! Much appreciated! 

6 of 6 (1,745 Views)