Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 6, 2014
9:11:54 PM
View profile
Deposit or fee? How do I get my $449 deposit back?

I have moved over to California from the UK for a year and have just been into an At&T store in Livermore to sign up to U-verse. As I have no credit history in the US they required a $449 deposit. It was made quite clear by the staff member this was a deposit which I understood to mean it would be refunded at the end of the contract. On receiving my first bill I noted it stated "one time credit fee $449" I went in to clarify that this was indeed a deposit as stated and agreed when in the store and not a fee but as no one was sure they said they would call me back. I have since been contacted by 2 separate people from AT&T who each time are not aware of the AT&T policy and say they will need to speak to their supervisors and call me back. I am still in my 30 days cool off period (just) but no one seems to know if that includes the $449 deposit/fee. There is no way I would sign up to pay $449 for the privilege of paying a further monthly fee for broad band. for one year only. I was quite clear that I was here fro one year and was expressly told it was a deposit. At no time was I ever made aware it was a non refundable fee as I would never have continued with this purchase if I had been made aware. Please and someone advise?

I have moved over to California from the UK for a year and have just been into an At&T store in Livermore to sign up to U-verse. As I have no credit history in the US they required a $449 deposit. It was made quite clear by the staff member this was a deposit which I understood to mean it would be refunded at the end of the contract. On receiving my first bill I noted it stated "one time credit fee $449" I went in to clarify that this was indeed a deposit as stated and agreed when in the store and not a fee but as no one was sure they said they would call me back. I have since been contacted by 2 separate people from AT&T who each time are not aware of the AT&T policy and say they will need to speak to their supervisors and call me back. I am still in my 30 days cool off period (just) but no one seems to know if that includes the $449 deposit/fee. There is no way I would sign up to pay $449 for the privilege of paying a further monthly fee for broad band. for one year only. I was quite clear that I was here fro one year and was expressly told it was a deposit. At no time was I ever made aware it was a non refundable fee as I would never have continued with this purchase if I had been made aware. Please and someone advise?

Deposit or fee? How do I get my $449 deposit back?

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 11:10:04 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi @Nickyb,

I apologize about the issues you are having with getting your deposit back, but we will be glad to help. Please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you. 

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi @Nickyb,

I apologize about the issues you are having with getting your deposit back, but we will be glad to help. Please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you. 

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Deposit or fee? How do I get my $449 deposit back?

2 of 26 (5,660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 2:20:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

Just a quick update. I checked my ATT account today and indeed it does appear that AT&T have removed the $449 charge from my account so I'l check it has gone back to my credit card. However my AT&T account now states that I am $449 in debit. To be fair the customer care lady did advise this may happen and if it did she would keep an eye on the account and re-credit it with $449 if this happened. I've also been advised that a customer care manager will contact me shortly as well regarding this issue. I'll keep you all posted.

Just a quick update. I checked my ATT account today and indeed it does appear that AT&T have removed the $449 charge from my account so I'l check it has gone back to my credit card. However my AT&T account now states that I am $449 in debit. To be fair the customer care lady did advise this may happen and if it did she would keep an eye on the account and re-credit it with $449 if this happened. I've also been advised that a customer care manager will contact me shortly as well regarding this issue. I'll keep you all posted.

3 of 26 (5,626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2014 10:12:26 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Thank you,

Yes, please keep us posted and let us know if you need anymore help.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Thank you,

Yes, please keep us posted and let us know if you need anymore help.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 26 (5,573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2014 6:23:36 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Aug 25, 2014 at 6:37:35 PM

The exact same thing has happened to me. If you can help me my name is Daniel. Account number

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal information]

The exact same thing has happened to me. If you can help me my name is Daniel. Account number

The exact same thing has happened to me. If you can help...

[ Edited ]
5 of 26 (5,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2014 6:25:10 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Aug 25, 2014 at 6:38:13 PM

My number is **** best time to reach me is after 2pm central time

My number is **** best time to reach me is after 2pm central time

My number is 8153834766 best time to reach me is after 2p...

[ Edited ]
6 of 26 (5,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2014 6:28:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Please do not post personal info for all to see.

Please do not post personal info for all to see.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: My number is 8153834766 best time to reach me is after 2p...

7 of 26 (5,047 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2014 8:13:18 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by Phil-101 on Oct 31, 2014 at 4:21:00 PM

I have exactly the same problem, who can help me to get the deposit back??

when I paid over the phone, I was clearly told it was a deposit but when the bill comes in, they say it is a one time charge!!!! I am assigned by company to work in  Houston only for two years and no one wants to pay 449 dollar to just get the service.

my account number is

please help me , thank you.

Alice

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

when I paid over the phone, I was clearly told it was a deposit but when the bill comes in, they say it is a one time charge!!!! I am assigned by company to work in  Houston only for two years and no one wants to pay 449 dollar to just get the service.

my account number is

Alice

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

[ Edited ]
8 of 26 (4,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2014 8:29:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Oct 31, 2014 at 8:32:25 AM

alice1998k wrote:

my account number is 136 876 394..

Alice

When you pay on-time and continue paying on-time, you will start getting a $5 credit on your bill returning the deposit.  It may take 7 1/2 years to get it all back.

The $499 is to guarantee payment of the equipment return if the user defaults and does not return the units. Smiley Wink

Edit:  If you want to cancel service and try to get the $499 back, click the ATT Customer Care link in my signature, send the PM, explain your situation.

Include your account#, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right on every page, for their reply. Good luck.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

alice1998k wrote:

my account number is 136 876 394..

Alice

When you pay on-time and continue paying on-time, you will start getting a $5 credit on your bill returning the deposit.  It may take 7 1/2 years to get it all back.

The $499 is to guarantee payment of the equipment return if the user defaults and does not return the units. Smiley Wink

Edit:  If you want to cancel service and try to get the $499 back, click the ATT Customer Care link in my signature, send the PM, explain your situation.

Include your account#, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right on every page, for their reply. Good luck.

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
9 of 26 (4,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2014 8:31:02 AM
(0)
Voyager

did they solve yours? i have same problem

did they solve yours? i have same problem

Re: The exact same thing has happened to me. If you can help...

10 of 26 (4,635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2014 12:55:54 PM
(0)
Voyager

Thank you very much for your reply.

i am not canceling service now since it is a one year contract.

but by end of next June, the one year finishes, i wish they can credit it back to me at that time.

but now they are keeping on saying it is one time charge.

Alice

but by end of next June, the one year finishes, i wish they can credit it back to me at that time.

Alice

11 of 26 (4,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2014 1:02:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

alice1998k wrote:

Alice

No, only the $5/month on on-time payment, you'll lose the rest unluckily.

It is a one time charge, that you can get back at $5/mo.  I have it seen from ATT and ATT employees. Smiley Wink

Chris

alice1998k wrote:

Alice

No, only the $5/month on on-time payment, you'll lose the rest unluckily.

It is a one time charge, that you can get back at $5/mo.  I have it seen from ATT and ATT employees. Smiley Wink

Chris

12 of 26 (4,601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2015 12:47:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

Wow.  The exact same thing happend to my daughter, who has no credit history.

A deposit is a deposit, not a fee.  How misleading is that!  In my view it is theft.

I am in the midst of a battle to get it back.  

Who out there has had the same problem, and how do you get ATT to give the money back?

For you ATT folks watching--your practice is unethical - it is theft.  If you are keeping the money you need to say so rather than lie about it.  You need to stop.  

Greg

Wow.  The exact same thing happend to my daughter, who has no credit history.

A deposit is a deposit, not a fee.  How misleading is that!  In my view it is theft.

I am in the midst of a battle to get it back.  

Who out there has had the same problem, and how do you get ATT to give the money back?

For you ATT folks watching--your practice is unethical - it is theft.  If you are keeping the money you need to say so rather than lie about it.  You need to stop.  

Greg

13 of 26 (3,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2015 1:51:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If you read the terms and conditions of you signing up for service you'll notice that the $449 is a fee. https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/termsofservice.html

Advance Payments, Deposits, Fees and Limits. We may require you to make deposits or advance payments for Services, which we may use to satisfy your initial bill for Services, to offset against any unpaid balance on your account, or as otherwise set forth in these TOS or permitted by law. Interest will not be paid on advance payments or deposits unless required by law. We may require additional advance payments or deposits if we determine that the initial payment was inadequate. Upon determination solely by AT&T of satisfactory payment history or as required by law, AT&T may begin refunding of the deposit or advance payment through bill credits, cash payments, or as otherwise determined solely by AT&T.Based on your creditworthiness, a non-refundable fee may be required to establish service and we may require you to enroll, and remain enrolled, in an automatic payment or electronic funds transfer plan. We may establish additional limits and restrict service or features as we deem appropriate. If your account balance goes beyond the limit we set for you, we may immediately interrupt or suspend service until your balance is brought below the limit. Any charges you incur in excess of your limit become immediately due.
-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

If you read the terms and conditions of you signing up for service you'll notice that the $449 is a fee. https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/termsofservice.html

Advance Payments, Deposits, Fees and Limits. We may require you to make deposits or advance payments for Services, which we may use to satisfy your initial bill for Services, to offset against any unpaid balance on your account, or as otherwise set forth in these TOS or permitted by law. Interest will not be paid on advance payments or deposits unless required by law. We may require additional advance payments or deposits if we determine that the initial payment was inadequate. Upon determination solely by AT&T of satisfactory payment history or as required by law, AT&T may begin refunding of the deposit or advance payment through bill credits, cash payments, or as otherwise determined solely by AT&T.Based on your creditworthiness, a non-refundable fee may be required to establish service and we may require you to enroll, and remain enrolled, in an automatic payment or electronic funds transfer plan. We may establish additional limits and restrict service or features as we deem appropriate. If your account balance goes beyond the limit we set for you, we may immediately interrupt or suspend service until your balance is brought below the limit. Any charges you incur in excess of your limit become immediately due.
-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

14 of 26 (3,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2015 11:39:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

The agent on the phone said it was a "deposit" not a "fee" and it was refundable.  Time to stand-up to your words.

Time for me to call the better business bureau or a lawyer, or both.

The agent on the phone said it was a "deposit" not a "fee" and it was refundable.  Time to stand-up to your words.

Time for me to call the better business bureau or a lawyer, or both.

15 of 26 (3,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2015 2:27:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

My understanding is that as long as the account is in good standing, they will rebate $5 per month until the entire fee is credited to the account or the account is closed (whichever comes first).

My understanding is that as long as the account is in good standing, they will rebate $5 per month until the entire fee is credited to the account or the account is closed (whichever comes first).

16 of 26 (3,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2015 9:32:31 AM
(0)
Tutor
Seriously? That would take 89 months or 7.5 years. It is a ridiculous
policy, it is not transparent, and it is unethical.

What if you leave ATT after 12 months? Do you get all of your money back?

Stop stealing from your customers.

17 of 26 (3,114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2015 10:25:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

GregGill wrote:

They say upfront it's a 'non refundable deposit', so that means you lost it and are not getting it back.  Smiley LOL

Chris

GregGill wrote:

They say upfront it's a 'non refundable deposit', so that means you lost it and are not getting it back.  Smiley LOL

Chris

18 of 26 (3,103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2015 11:10:32 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by russianj on Jun 10, 2015 at 11:12:36 AM

@alice1998khere are the U-Verse Terms of Service. It does seem to indicate that a fee may be collected. According to the terms:

Based on your creditworthiness, a non-refundable fee may be required to establish service and we may require you to enroll, and remain enrolled, in an automatic payment or electronic funds transfer plan.

However, as the sales personnel indicated that in your case (as well as others here), that there was simply a deposit being requested, then it would be in fact a deposit unless the sales receipt clearly delineates a fee and not a deposit. Unless it states that this was a fee and was instead told to be a deposit, then TX code states in summary:

Any utility that requires a deposit shall pay interest on the deposit and upon discontinuation of the service, shall pay any remaining deposit and interest minus any amount due for service rendered. 

Stay informed and let us know how it works out for you. Good luck. 

@alice1998khere are the U-Verse Terms of Service. It does seem to indicate that a fee may be collected. According to the terms:

Based on your creditworthiness, a non-refundable fee may be required to establish service and we may require you to enroll, and remain enrolled, in an automatic payment or electronic funds transfer plan.

However, as the sales personnel indicated that in your case (as well as others here), that there was simply a deposit being requested, then it would be in fact a deposit unless the sales receipt clearly delineates a fee and not a deposit. Unless it states that this was a fee and was instead told to be a deposit, then TX code states in summary:

Any utility that requires a deposit shall pay interest on the deposit and upon discontinuation of the service, shall pay any remaining deposit and interest minus any amount due for service rendered. 

Stay informed and let us know how it works out for you. Good luck. 

[ Edited ]
19 of 26 (3,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2015 11:29:16 AM
(0)
Tutor
Actually, they did not. Hence the problem.

Actually, they did not. Hence the problem.

20 of 26 (3,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2015 12:05:13 PM
(0)
Tutor
Ok all: I prevailed in my effort to get the deposit money back.

I was able to substitute myself (high credit rating) for my daughter (low
credit rating, as she is just starting out). ATT refunded the $449 and
gave me the same deal as she had. Only the name on the account changed.

The things that seemed to get traction were:
1) demanding "escalation"
2) asking for detail on the contract dispute resolution procedures. In the
contract, arbitration is the specified dispute resolution process. When I
told ATT I did not accept their position and I wanted to pursue dispute
resolution through arbitration, they seemed to wake up.

If you feel strongly that the deposit they took was not adequately
described as a non-refundable deposit when you opened the account, or that
they did not adequately describe that at best, the deposit would be
refunded at the rate of $5 per month for 7.5 years, then I don't think
arbitration can hurt. It will take some time, is all. The threat of
arbitration could loosen them up.

Certainly, if your contract runs its course, and you pay all of your bills
and return the equipment, etc., if they don;t give you all of your money
back, then it seems to me that you have a good case to arbitrate.

In the end ATT made it right for my daughter, but the process leaves ATT's
reputation with me permanently scarred. The have lost me as a future
customer.

Good luck all. Don't let them win.

Ok all: I prevailed in my effort to get the deposit money back.

I was able to substitute myself (high credit rating) for my daughter (low
credit rating, as she is just starting out). ATT refunded the $449 and
gave me the same deal as she had. Only the name on the account changed.

The things that seemed to get traction were:
1) demanding "escalation"
2) asking for detail on the contract dispute resolution procedures. In the
contract, arbitration is the specified dispute resolution process. When I
told ATT I did not accept their position and I wanted to pursue dispute
resolution through arbitration, they seemed to wake up.

If you feel strongly that the deposit they took was not adequately
described as a non-refundable deposit when you opened the account, or that
they did not adequately describe that at best, the deposit would be
refunded at the rate of $5 per month for 7.5 years, then I don't think
arbitration can hurt. It will take some time, is all. The threat of
arbitration could loosen them up.

Certainly, if your contract runs its course, and you pay all of your bills
and return the equipment, etc., if they don;t give you all of your money
back, then it seems to me that you have a good case to arbitrate.

In the end ATT made it right for my daughter, but the process leaves ATT's
reputation with me permanently scarred. The have lost me as a future
customer.

Good luck all. Don't let them win.

21 of 26 (3,050 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2015 10:43:08 AM
(1)
Contributor
Edited by Paola.Sandoval on Sep 8, 2015 at 10:46:59 AM

Chris

That is not true, they DO NOT say it is a 'non refundable deposit', I just went off the phone with a CS representative who said it was a 'deposit' and I asked specifically 'a deposit, not a fee right? I will get my money back', to what he answered 'yes madam'. In my opinion this does sound very unfair.

Chris

That is not true, they DO NOT say it is a 'non refundable deposit', I just went off the phone with a CS representative who said it was a 'deposit' and I asked specifically 'a deposit, not a fee right? I will get my money back', to what he answered 'yes madam'. In my opinion this does sound very unfair.

[ Edited ]
22 of 26 (2,463 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2015 12:23:13 PM
(1)
Tutor

I am sure the non-refundable nature of the deposit is covered in detail in the contract, and most agents probably say it is non-refundable, but some probably don't.   None of that really matters.

What matters is this: there is clearly a gap in what ATT says, and what their customers hear.  And it leads to a bad customer experience.  Actually an absolutely horrific experience in my case.  They must not rely on arguments like "it's in the contract--didn't you read it?"

Deposits are to make sure the bill gets paid.  It is not a windfall for ATT.  If the customer doesn't pay, ATT should keep the deposit, but if the bills are paid, the deposit should be returned.  Fairness and reason would dictate that.

Finally, I have won this battle not once, but twice.  ATT charged my daughter's credit card after her account was closed, claiming the deposit and two months service were not paid.  This after a manager expressly told me the funds would be returned.  What they did not say is "temporarily" returned, I guess.

Again, when I told them I wanted to arbitrate, they suddenly became reasonable.

ATT's reputation with me is irrevocably damaged.  I will never choose ATT over a competitor again, at any price.

I am sure the non-refundable nature of the deposit is covered in detail in the contract, and most agents probably say it is non-refundable, but some probably don't.   None of that really matters.

What matters is this: there is clearly a gap in what ATT says, and what their customers hear.  And it leads to a bad customer experience.  Actually an absolutely horrific experience in my case.  They must not rely on arguments like "it's in the contract--didn't you read it?"

Deposits are to make sure the bill gets paid.  It is not a windfall for ATT.  If the customer doesn't pay, ATT should keep the deposit, but if the bills are paid, the deposit should be returned.  Fairness and reason would dictate that.

Finally, I have won this battle not once, but twice.  ATT charged my daughter's credit card after her account was closed, claiming the deposit and two months service were not paid.  This after a manager expressly told me the funds would be returned.  What they did not say is "temporarily" returned, I guess.

Again, when I told them I wanted to arbitrate, they suddenly became reasonable.

ATT's reputation with me is irrevocably damaged.  I will never choose ATT over a competitor again, at any price.

23 of 26 (2,438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2016 9:47:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

i have the same problem i took out a iphone 6s and took it back within 14 days and now att wants to charge me from the time the phone was active till the time i took it back and take it from the 300$ deposit i put down, from my understaing it is against the law to do that. ive been arguing with them for several days now to just send me a check for my deposit or put it back on my debit card..... but they think they are slick they are waiting for the 1st bill to come and if i dont pay it and they havent given me my 300$ back they take it from the deposit but it doesnt work like that.... i too have to call the better bisuness bereau also now...becasue i am afraif they are going to take out for the 1st bill and i gave the iphone back within the 14day period but att been ripping off people for along time....

i have the same problem i took out a iphone 6s and took it back within 14 days and now att wants to charge me from the time the phone was active till the time i took it back and take it from the 300$ deposit i put down, from my understaing it is against the law to do that. ive been arguing with them for several days now to just send me a check for my deposit or put it back on my debit card..... but they think they are slick they are waiting for the 1st bill to come and if i dont pay it and they havent given me my 300$ back they take it from the deposit but it doesnt work like that.... i too have to call the better bisuness bereau also now...becasue i am afraif they are going to take out for the 1st bill and i gave the iphone back within the 14day period but att been ripping off people for along time....

24 of 26 (1,490 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2016 5:55:44 AM
(1)
ACE - Expert

6anthony9 wrote:

You did not in any way have "the same problem."  Your complaint is with Wireless Service, the OP complaint is with U-verse.  Your complaint is that AT&T has service charges (or more likely a restocking fee) that you owe them, and rather than have you pay it and refund your whole deposit, they want to take it out of your deposit.  The OP takes issue that the credit worthiness fee is often (incorrectly) described as a deposit and is not credited back at termination of service.

6anthony9 wrote:

You did not in any way have "the same problem."  Your complaint is with Wireless Service, the OP complaint is with U-verse.  Your complaint is that AT&T has service charges (or more likely a restocking fee) that you owe them, and rather than have you pay it and refund your whole deposit, they want to take it out of your deposit.  The OP takes issue that the credit worthiness fee is often (incorrectly) described as a deposit and is not credited back at termination of service.

25 of 26 (1,452 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2016 3:58:32 PM
(1)
Contributor
Edited by fabo123 on Jun 21, 2016 at 3:59:07 PM

This is still happening. Just being told on the phone and by a social media manager that it is non refundable. Was specifically told it was a deposit 1 year ago when I got the service. This is same as a scam you see on the Internet.

Why would I pay you $449 to do business with you, AT&T? I'm not letting this go and of course I'll cancel.

What are my options here please for those who have "fought" this scammer?

Thanks!

This is still happening. Just being told on the phone and by a social media manager that it is non refundable. Was specifically told it was a deposit 1 year ago when I got the service. This is same as a scam you see on the Internet.

Why would I pay you $449 to do business with you, AT&T? I'm not letting this go and of course I'll cancel.

What are my options here please for those who have "fought" this scammer?

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
26 of 26 (256 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments