Get the myAT&T app
Nickyb's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, April 7th, 2014 4:11 AM

Closed

Deposit or fee? How do I get my $449 deposit back?

I have moved over to California from the UK for a year and have just been into an At&T store in Livermore to sign up to U-verse. As I have no credit history in the US they required a $449 deposit. It was made quite clear by the staff member this was a deposit which I understood to mean it would be refunded at the end of the contract. On receiving my first bill I noted it stated "one time credit fee $449" I went in to clarify that this was indeed a deposit as stated and agreed when in the store and not a fee but as no one was sure they said they would call me back. I have since been contacted by 2 separate people from AT&T who each time are not aware of the AT&T policy and say they will need to speak to their supervisors and call me back. I am still in my 30 days cool off period (just) but no one seems to know if that includes the $449 deposit/fee. There is no way I would sign up to pay $449 for the privilege of paying a further monthly fee for broad band. for one year only. I was quite clear that I was here fro one year and was expressly told it was a deposit. At no time was I ever made aware it was a non refundable fee as I would never have continued with this purchase if I had been made aware. Please and someone advise?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@alice1998k wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply.

i am not canceling service now since it is a one year contract.

but by end of next June, the one year finishes, i wish they can credit it back to me at that time.

but now they are keeping on saying it is one time charge.

Alice

No, only the $5/month on on-time payment, you'll lose the rest unluckily.

It is a one time charge, that you can get back at $5/mo.  I have it seen from ATT and ATT employees. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Wow.  The exact same thing happend to my daughter, who has no credit history.

A deposit is a deposit, not a fee.  How misleading is that!  In my view it is theft.

I am in the midst of a battle to get it back.  

Who out there has had the same problem, and how do you get ATT to give the money back?

For you ATT folks watching--your practice is unethical - it is theft.  If you are keeping the money you need to say so rather than lie about it.  You need to stop.  

Greg

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

9 years ago

If you read the terms and conditions of you signing up for service you'll notice that the $449 is a fee. https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/termsofservice.html

Advance Payments, Deposits, Fees and Limits. We may require you to make deposits or advance payments for Services, which we may use to satisfy your initial bill for Services, to offset against any unpaid balance on your account, or as otherwise set forth in these TOS or permitted by law. Interest will not be paid on advance payments or deposits unless required by law. We may require additional advance payments or deposits if we determine that the initial payment was inadequate. Upon determination solely by AT&T of satisfactory payment history or as required by law, AT&T may begin refunding of the deposit or advance payment through bill credits, cash payments, or as otherwise determined solely by AT&T.Based on your creditworthiness, a non-refundable fee may be required to establish service and we may require you to enroll, and remain enrolled, in an automatic payment or electronic funds transfer plan. We may establish additional limits and restrict service or features as we deem appropriate. If your account balance goes beyond the limit we set for you, we may immediately interrupt or suspend service until your balance is brought below the limit. Any charges you incur in excess of your limit become immediately due.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

The agent on the phone said it was a "deposit" not a "fee" and it was refundable.  Time to stand-up to your words.

Time for me to call the better business bureau or a lawyer, or both.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

My understanding is that as long as the account is in good standing, they will rebate $5 per month until the entire fee is credited to the account or the account is closed (whichever comes first).

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Seriously? That would take 89 months or 7.5 years. It is a ridiculous
policy, it is not transparent, and it is unethical.

What if you leave ATT after 12 months? Do you get all of your money back?

Stop stealing from your customers.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@GregGill wrote:
Seriously? That would take 89 months or 7.5 years. It is a ridiculous
policy, it is not transparent, and it is unethical.

What if you leave ATT after 12 months? Do you get all of your money back?

Stop stealing from your customers.

They say upfront it's a 'non refundable deposit', so that means you lost it and are not getting it back.  Smiley LOL

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

9 years ago

@alice1998khere are the U-Verse Terms of Service. It does seem to indicate that a fee may be collected. According to the terms:

Based on your creditworthiness, a non-refundable fee may be required to establish service and we may require you to enroll, and remain enrolled, in an automatic payment or electronic funds transfer plan.

However, as the sales personnel indicated that in your case (as well as others here), that there was simply a deposit being requested, then it would be in fact a deposit unless the sales receipt clearly delineates a fee and not a deposit. Unless it states that this was a fee and was instead told to be a deposit, then TX code states in summary:

Any utility that requires a deposit shall pay interest on the deposit and upon discontinuation of the service, shall pay any remaining deposit and interest minus any amount due for service rendered. 

Stay informed and let us know how it works out for you. Good luck. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Actually, they did not. Hence the problem.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Ok all: I prevailed in my effort to get the deposit money back.

I was able to substitute myself (high credit rating) for my daughter (low
credit rating, as she is just starting out). ATT refunded the $449 and
gave me the same deal as she had. Only the name on the account changed.

The things that seemed to get traction were:
1) demanding "escalation"
2) asking for detail on the contract dispute resolution procedures. In the
contract, arbitration is the specified dispute resolution process. When I
told ATT I did not accept their position and I wanted to pursue dispute
resolution through arbitration, they seemed to wake up.

If you feel strongly that the deposit they took was not adequately
described as a non-refundable deposit when you opened the account, or that
they did not adequately describe that at best, the deposit would be
refunded at the rate of $5 per month for 7.5 years, then I don't think
arbitration can hurt. It will take some time, is all. The threat of
arbitration could loosen them up.

Certainly, if your contract runs its course, and you pay all of your bills
and return the equipment, etc., if they don;t give you all of your money
back, then it seems to me that you have a good case to arbitrate.

In the end ATT made it right for my daughter, but the process leaves ATT's
reputation with me permanently scarred. The have lost me as a future
customer.

Good luck all. Don't let them win.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.