Get the myAT&T app
DoctorC's profile

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, August 10th, 2016 9:50 PM

Customer Retention Department Complaints

We have been AT&T U-verse customers since late 2000s. Because we do not live in our house (Account: 104574072), we wanted to terminate the U-verse Internet service after the contract ended (which we believed should be in May 2016). For this service, we were paying $29/month including taxes/fees/surcharges.

On May 10, 2016, we called AT&T Customer Service to check when our U-verse Internet service contract would end and informed Representative A that we wanted to terminate the service after the contract ends. Representative A told us that he could give us a better service deal, including faster U-verse Internet service and Voice, for $18.99/month. We told Representative A that we did not need phone or voice services since we did not live in that house. Representative A told us that the Voice service is part of the service package deal. Representative A convinced us, and we agreed to order this new service package for $18.99/month.

On May 11, we received an email from AT&T with subject reading “AT&T ORDER CONFIRMATION: New Service Added”. This email clearly indicates that the “Monthly Charges” are “$18.99” including “U-verse High Speed Internet Elite” and “Voice” service (plus a “One Time Charges” for Service Activation Fee at $49.00 as well as taxes/fees/surcharges).

On May 19, we traveled to overseas for over a month.

On July 6, we arrived this house in the evening. (The last time we stopped by this house was in the spring, March or April.)

On July 7, we found the Internet was not working. (We never used Voice service.)

On July 8, we called AT&T Customer Service to report the problem of the Internet. Representative B kindly did some tests, later she scheduled a technician to come to our house to fix the Internet problem. We also asked Representative B what our monthly bill would be, and was told the monthly bill being $37.43. We told Representative B that Representative A told us the monthly bill would be $18.99 which we agreed on May 10, and that we did not receive any email/letter regarding any changes of the agreement.

In the afternoon, the technician, Brandon, came by our house and told us that the account was set up incorrectly which is why the Internet would not work. He gave us the AT&T retention Department number.

In the same afternoon, we called the Retention Department, and Representative C answered us. We emphasized that the order we agreed was for the Internet/Voice service at $18.99/month, and since we agreed on this order, we are responsible for (and liable to) this original order. AT&T changed the order to $46.43/month for the same service, but we did not receive an email or letter with regard to this change and never did we agree on this change. As such, we are not liable to the changed order. After a lengthy conversation, we stressed that we can keep the service under the original order, and that we do not want the service under the changed order because we has never ordered nor agreed the changed order. Representative C terminated the AT&T service on July 8.

On August 6, we received letter from AT&T regarding the statement for the month 6/25/2016-7/24/2016 which indicates that we were charged for “early termination fee” at $165.00. Upon looking at the recent three monthly statements (4/25/2016-5/24/2016, 5/25/2016-6/24/2016, 6/25/2016-7/24/2016), AT&T has charged us $96.43, $46.43, and $65.13. A total of $207.99 was charged by AT&T, as opposed to $29 for the monthly from 4/25/2016-5/24/2016 that we had intended.

We want to file a complaint, but do not know to where and who we should send the letter and supporting documents. We do want to make it clear:

1. As we told Representative C, we can keep the service under the original order that we agreed. That is, AT&A charges $18.99/month for the Internet/Voice service.
  2. As we told Representative C, we do not want to have the service under the changed order (i.e., $46.43/month for the same Internet/Voice service). We are not liable to this changed order because we never agreed to.
  3. We honor the agreement with AT&T (i.e., the original order), and request AT&T honor it as well. We are only liable to the original order that we agreed, but we are not liable to the changed order because we never agreed to. We demand refund for all of the extra charges including the early termination fee at $165.
  4. We can provide supporting documents (i.e., Appendixes A-D) including the email with subject line “AT&T ORDER CONFIRMATION: New Service Added”.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @DoctorC,

Sorry to read of the trouble you are having with the bill. We can help and just sent you a private message via the community forums. Click here to reply back.

-ATTU-verseCare

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Hi ATTU-verseCare,

I replied on 8/12, 8/14, and 8/18, but have not received a response or a call. I was wondering if I sent you the private messages through the right channel. Please let me know the times you can call me, and I will get back to you. 

Thanks,

DoctorC

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @DoctorC,

We apologize about the issues. There were some messages that got lost, but we have escalated your issue, and one of our managers will reach out to you to help on this issue.

-ATTU-verseCare

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Am glad to say that the issues have been solved. Bernie from ATTU-verseCare even went an extra mile to help me out. So, Thank you, Bernie!

DoctorC

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Wow only 49 days and who knows how many hours of your life to deal with it?  

Today, I just had enough.Enough of the miscommunications, enough of the phony 2 year price guarantee (DIRECTV only), tired of spending 3-4 minutes with a simple minded robot attendent that thinks highly of their mechanical electrical man made self;;;;;;;;;;;;;;Cancelled, it broke my heart for a minute.  

told rep there is no possible thing you can do. It took less than 20 seconds after I heard her exquisite voice on the phone, Whew did I feel like there was more than a cancellation going on.  She felt my pain, all the times I had been let down in the past by my cell phone provider, my cable provider, my ISP, every hot girlfriend I ever had.............., I was tense, anxious and wanted to kiss here when she said OK I understand. She quietly surrendered. and just like that it was over ........again.

I loved directv, I even like uverse, I just dont like the auto price jack up, then the battle with retention....... now 'lets see what kind of negotiating skills you got, cable junkie!'  Im a dog!

Sling and my buddy's comcast password and Im good to go solo as soon as a new ISP sweeps me off my feet. Im available providers....

20140214_200545.jpg

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Upon receipt of our AT & T billing on this date, it stated a payment due of $1,013.74. This is more than three times our typical bill. It got my attention. We have been a customer since 1989.

I called AT & T and spoke with Keith about the increase. He said that they could bring the cost down and credit the high cost increase from what is currently shown. He did say that we would need to “bundle” our phone service with another AT & T service, such as internet.

We stated that we already had internet and wanted to keep phone and internet separate for redundancy in communication during outages. We also did not want to pay for and rent another modem/router, which would only add to our costs. He told me that he would send me to someone who may be able to help further. My conversation with Keith lasted approximately 25 minutes.

After being on hold for another 15 minutes, R.J. (AA223Delta) answered, and proceeded to tell me the very same thing that Keith did. He did explain potential costs for our business, but it was confusing at best.

I requested the described new plan be sent to me via e-mail so that I can review my options. R.J. stated that he cannot do that, but that I would receive confirmation of our overcharges being credited in 5-10 business days, but only if I agreed to the new plan over the phone. I felt that we were being held hostage by the high cost of the received bill, unless we agreed to the new plan, which was not detailed and defined to us (Extortion?)

I again requested the new proposed plan in writing with an estimate of potential costs. I also asked if I agreed to the plan, could I cancel at any time without penalty. He did not provide an answer. I asked again. He still did not provide an answer, and only said that any “rate regarding a customer retention was not available in writing”. My request to get the POTENTIAL cost of any proposed new plan is not an unreasonable request.

I finished our 66 minute phone call with a request that a supervisor call me immediately to discuss the exceedingly high bill, and the lack of transparency of what any remedy and new contract would entail.

I would request that a qualified representative of AT &T contact me immediately to remedy this very negative process and experience. We will need the bogus increase eliminated and a defined new contract/plan to be adequately presented to us for critical consideration. I would like this within 5 business days, to resolve this as soon as possible.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

7 years ago

@drawbridge440  Send a Private Message to ATTCares using THIS LINK 

Include all pertinent information and a brief description of your issues.  Give them 3-4 business days to respond.  Watch the small white envelope at the top of this page for a reply.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Just Tired

I started this Journey during the month of November requesting services with the company. I have had six Tech. come to my home.  Today is 1/12/19 and i am still without service. the last ticket number i recieved was K55397598. They assured me that i would receive services, which proved not to be true. During the Chrismas Holiday I endured the embarasment of having Friends, and Family  at my home while my front yard was digged up with a orange net to cover a hole that was deep. This embrassment continued through the New Year, all because a Tech. dropped a ticket (I was told). I was then made to wait another week before an appointment could be made for connection, only to have them to tell me on today they need to send someone out to dig again so that a connection can be made. I have since recieved a bill with a summery higher that what i was quoted and Yes i still do not have services. How do i pay for what I do not have.

I have found calling in to get information is impossable because no one knows what is going on in customer service (even with each call being documented). I have tried and asked for management which resulted in being on hold for 45mins and then told they are not available. Staying with Comcast is looking better right now, but i feel led to contact the BBB because i know they will listen to my concerns.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.