Get the myAT&T app
jsmit86's profile

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 2:50 AM

Closed

Considering swithcing to U-verse from Comcast.. 7 TVS ??

I currently have Comcast Triple play in Elgin IL. I have 7 TVs in total.

3 HD DVRs, 3 HD Set Top Boxes, and 1 DTA for an SD TV in a guest room.

I also have internet service with approx 20 Mb down and 4 Mb upload speed, and 2 phone lines.. 1 for voice, and 1 for a fax machine.

I am generally satisfied with Comcast, except for the price. I am paying about $270/mo for these services.  One benefit of Cable is that you are not limited to just a few HD steams.  It is not uncommon to be recording 3 shows on the DVRs, and watching something different on about 5 of the TV sets.

I am considering a switch to U-Verse based on the price, but I am looking for some technical info.

My first question is with 7 TVs, what are the limitations for active HD streams?  How many shows can be recorded or watched in the system?

My other need is to keep my current Netgear 750N router in the system.. at least as an access point. Is this possible?  We often will have 5 or 6 devices connected to our wireless network.  We seldom stream video, but email, facebook, some youtube etc…

Can someone address the technical limits of U-verse if you try to duplicate my current Comcast setup?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@jsmit86 wrote:

I currently have Comcast Triple play in Elgin IL. I have 7 TVs in total.

3 HD DVRs, 3 HD Set Top Boxes, and 1 DTA for an SD TV in a guest room.

I also have internet service with approx 20 Mb down and 4 Mb upload speed, and 2 phone lines.. 1 for voice, and 1 for a fax machine.

I am generally satisfied with Comcast, except for the price. I am paying about $270/mo for these services.  One benefit of Cable is that you are not limited to just a few HD steams. 

1) It is not uncommon to be recording 3 shows on the DVRs, and watching something different on about 5 of the TV sets.

I am considering a switch to U-Verse based on the price, but I am looking for some technical info.

2) My first question is with 7 TVs, what are the limitations for active HD streams? 

3) How many shows can be recorded or watched in the system?

4) My other need is to keep my current Netgear 750N router in the system.. at least as an access point. Is this possible? 

We often will have 5 or 6 devices connected to our wireless network.  We seldom stream video, but email, facebook, some youtube etc…

5) Can someone address the technical limits of U-verse if you try to duplicate my current Comcast setup?

Thanks!

1) If this is true, U-verse TV will not work for you.

2) With U-verse, there are 4 live streams to watch and/or record live TV.  Depending on your profile, 4, 3 or 2 of those live streams can be HD.  If two or more TV's are watching the same channel, that counts as the use of one live stream.

3) See # 2

4) You can attach your Netgear router to the U-verse gateway to use if as either a router or a wireless access point

5) See #2.  Also, having 5 or 5 devices connected wireless to the network would not be an issue.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Absolutely do not.  If you have no complaints with comcast, stay.  AT&T = worst customer experience of my entire life.

• 

4.4K Messages

11 years ago

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.