Get the myAT&T app
Donald wb6ozz's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, February 10th, 2013 6:30 PM

Channel 99

Understanding  Channel 99.

When I call in and  explain my trouble to  the ATT tech.  The  technicians will argue with me that there is no channel ninety-nine.  I can tell you that  I have been viewing this channel for over a year.

Channel ninety-nine is  AT&T U-verse TV is  PEG (public, education, government) channel.

My trouble is with your Channel 99.  You can view this channel at 

http://uverseonline.att.net/uverse/peg    So please do not tell me that there is no channel ninety-nine.  I am tired of expanding the same thing repeatedly and getting no where.

My Trouble.

After selecting Channel 99.  it comes up on the screen ok.  With a list of cities in Orange counties.  From here I select what city I want to view.  I can watch programming provided by different community. Because I live in the city of Fullerton.  I select the city of Fullerton.   After selecting the city I get a message that Reads:  This video signal is currently unavailable. This has been going on now for about a month now.  Your Technications have no clue how to fix this problem and they do not seem to care.  Now I have notice that there is another city that is not working (Mission Viejo) Same message

(This video signal is currently unavailable)

Is there someone that cares and have the brains to repair this trouble?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

I found something interesting about how a city delivers the content to AT&T's PEG channel:

Referred to as a PEG (Public Education and Government Channel,) a city who wishes to provide their content on the U-Verse system must do so by streaming it LIVE over the internet, where AT&T then pulls the stream and provides it at the set-top level (the customer's home.) To stream this content, the city is required to purchase a large router with T1 capabilities, a Windows Media Encoder, and a small switch. The city is then provided a set of ip addresses by AT&T, which then must be configured into all the equipment. This process, if done by engineers at the city, can take weeks of configuring and testing.

http://www.emgebroadcasting.com/business/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50:atat-uverse-peg&catid=35:u-verse-peg-set-up&Itemid=54

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Donald wb6ozz - Let me guess - It is the cities responsibility to provide a signal. Contact the city. If they say the are providing a signal, they need to work with at&t to make sure it is available.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

Have you contacted the City of Fullerton and asked if they were actually broadcasting anything at this time?

Perhaps the words "This video signal is currently unavailable" means that there is nothing to broadcast.

Like aviewer says, it's a 50/50 deal with the government entities (city/school/county) and ATT.  ATT provides the channel.  It's up to the government or school district to utilitize it.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

I've never checked out Ch. 99 in this area (Dallas/Ft. Worth) but was fascinated when I did.

There are over 22 different cities that have their own channel and some of those have up to 8 different options (Dallas).  They run the gamet from ISDs to church channels.  Some are functioning just fine, some are off the air, some have no audio, some are showing old cowboy shows.

It's like the wild wild west!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I did contact the city.  Time Warner is where the vedio comes from. Besides it is the respondable of ATT to fix the problem no mine.  All the Time Warner people have no trouble with this,  just ATT.

DON 

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

Have you previously been able to watch content form the city of Fullerton on that channel?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Donald wb6ozz - Then I suggest your next step is to send a pm to attcustomercare using this link with the details. You can refer to this trail.
They will follow up on a solution.
http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I have been watching Channel 99 and the City of Fullerton video  for the lasrt two years with out any trouble. Something happen to the link between ATT and Time Warner and the tech suppport people have no idea how to fix or understand the problem..

DON

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

@Donald wb6ozz wrote:

I have been watching Channel 99 and the City of Fullerton video  for the lasrt two years with out any trouble. Something happen to the link between ATT and Time Warner and the tech suppport people have no idea how to fix or understand the problem..

DON

It will most likely take someone within the city government to work with ATT to get the local PEG up and running. 

Perhaps your city leaders will be more responsive to your concerns.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

@Donald wb6ozz wrote:

DON

It will most likely take someone within the city government to work with ATT to get the local PEG up and running. 

Perhaps your city leaders will be more responsive to your concerns.

Like that is going to happen.  Our city dumped its PEG that it would no longer fund, and ended up making it self supporting, and the channel still is not able to even survive.  Most PEG's anymore for the most part are unwatched by 99% of the subscribers of Pay To Watch services.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.