Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Aug 15, 2014
9:22:34 PM
View profile
Brand New (unhappy) Uverse Customer
So, today's my first day after switching from Cox. Reiterated to the sales person that internet speed was my most important concern, so i signed up for the 18Mbps plan. When the installer was here, I noticed the speed wasn't great, but wasn't too slow. He left at about 4:00 pm, and my internet speed slowly decreased to the point that it is now .25 Mbps download. No Netflix, no Amazon Prime, even emails take forever to open. TV works great, but again, I don't care about the TV.

I found it funny that the "self help" areas of ATT websites only discuss slow browsing speed and want to know which browser I'm using. That's not the point, as none of my devices will stream at a speed that allows service.

Is this common? Is it a time of day issue?

If I don't get answers from ATT, I'll be canceling and returning to Cox before the weekend's over.
So, today's my first day after switching from Cox. Reiterated to the sales person that internet speed was my most important concern, so i signed up for the 18Mbps plan. When the installer was here, I noticed the speed wasn't great, but wasn't too slow. He left at about 4:00 pm, and my internet speed slowly decreased to the point that it is now .25 Mbps download. No Netflix, no Amazon Prime, even emails take forever to open. TV works great, but again, I don't care about the TV.

I found it funny that the "self help" areas of ATT websites only discuss slow browsing speed and want to know which browser I'm using. That's not the point, as none of my devices will stream at a speed that allows service.

If I don't get answers from ATT, I'll be canceling and returning to Cox before the weekend's over.

Brand New (unhappy) Uverse Customer

7 replies
(3) Me too
(3) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 5:31:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by Darknessrise on Aug 16, 2014 at 5:32:29 AM

How many TV receivers are running while you're trying to do these things? Also, are they running HD too?

Are you doing anything else while trying to view email such as watch videos or downloading files?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.

How many TV receivers are running while you're trying to do these things? Also, are they running HD too?

Are you doing anything else while trying to view email such as watch videos or downloading files?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Brand New (unhappy) Uverse Customer

[ Edited ]
2 of 8 (715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 7:45:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

You need to provide more info..Are you using a wireless connection to your computer? If you can try and plug into the RG direct with ethernet cable and do a speed test there and post back.

You need to provide more info..Are you using a wireless connection to your computer? If you can try and plug into the RG direct with ethernet cable and do a speed test there and post back.

3 of 8 (678 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 11:50:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Aug 16, 2014 at 12:07:47 PM

Lwilham wrote:

Are those speeds wireless or wired? If wireless, see SomeJoe's great wireless interference thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/2303003#M1138

Also see the SJ post:

Please Read for a Potential Solution

For many people, the DHCP problems with the 2Wire routers can be solved by configuring the RG as follows:

1. Go to http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1 which is the RG's wireless configuration page.

2. Change the setting "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" to Disabled.

3. Change the setting "Authentication Type" to WPA2-PSK (AES).

4. Click the "Save" button at the bottom.

5. This procedure may ask for your RG's password. The default password for your RG is printed on a white sticker on the side of the RG (3600HGV, 3800HGV-B, and 3801HGV) or on a white sticker on the backup battery (i3812V).

Disabling WPS should help with the DHCP timeout issue and general wireless connection problems.

Setting authentication specifically to WPA2-PSK/AES improves connection reliability on Macs and other Apple products.

Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Lwilham wrote:

Are those speeds wireless or wired? If wireless, see SomeJoe's great wireless interference thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/2303003#M1138

Also see the SJ post:

Please Read for a Potential Solution

For many people, the DHCP problems with the 2Wire routers can be solved by configuring the RG as follows:

1. Go to http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1 which is the RG's wireless configuration page.

2. Change the setting "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" to Disabled.

3. Change the setting "Authentication Type" to WPA2-PSK (AES).

4. Click the "Save" button at the bottom.

5. This procedure may ask for your RG's password. The default password for your RG is printed on a white sticker on the side of the RG (3600HGV, 3800HGV-B, and 3801HGV) or on a white sticker on the backup battery (i3812V).

Disabling WPS should help with the DHCP timeout issue and general wireless connection problems.

Setting authentication specifically to WPA2-PSK/AES improves connection reliability on Macs and other Apple products.

Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 8:51:20 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for the suggestions. I called customer service the man on the phone said I should not be getting anything less than 15 Mbps most of the time. ATT dispatched a tech ("between noon and 4:00" but showed up at 5:30). He swapped out my router, switched me to a different line from their main box, and still no love. He will come back on Monday to run a new line from my outside box through my attic to my router. He said if that doesn't fix it, they'll have to do some work between my house and their main box.

TV is awesome, and I've been happy with their customer service and attitudes (aside from running late), if we can get the internet speed up to par, I'll be happy with the switch.
Thanks for the suggestions. I called customer service the man on the phone said I should not be getting anything less than 15 Mbps most of the time. ATT dispatched a tech ("between noon and 4:00" but showed up at 5:30). He swapped out my router, switched me to a different line from their main box, and still no love. He will come back on Monday to run a new line from my outside box through my attic to my router. He said if that doesn't fix it, they'll have to do some work between my house and their main box.

TV is awesome, and I've been happy with their customer service and attitudes (aside from running late), if we can get the internet speed up to par, I'll be happy with the switch.

5 of 8 (615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 8:53:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks. Last night, no TVs on, computer was on, but not browsing the web. One iPad up and running.
Thanks. Last night, no TVs on, computer was on, but not browsing the web. One iPad up and running.

6 of 8 (614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 8:55:06 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks. If they can't get me up, I'll definitely try this!
Thanks. If they can't get me up, I'll definitely try this!

7 of 8 (612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2014 7:43:52 AM
(0)
Community Support

@Lwilham , has this issue been resolved? Did the tech come out on Monday? Let us know!

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

@Lwilham , has this issue been resolved? Did the tech come out on Monday? Let us know!

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 8 (553 Views)