Ask a question

Highlighted
Posted Dec 4, 2013
9:51:56 PM
View profile
wiring for uverse, 2 landlines

Hello,

My household has 2 phonelines. One with non-uverse landline (phone A), one with recently cancelled landline and uverse internet (phone b)

Would it be possible to link phone b with phone A and have phone A as the universal landline throughout the house alongside with phone b's uverse internet?

Phone B was recently updated with a 12 month uverse contract, whereas phone A is a non-uverse landline at 60$/month that I'd like to change to a cheaper plan.

Any input is appreciated; thank you.

wiring for uverse, 2 landlines

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 4:27:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
suture - From a price perspective the first U-verse phone line is less expensive than a POTS line & the second U-verse voice line is much less than the first. I am going to guess the second U-verse line is $10, giving you a savings of $50 a month for the change.

You will need to negotiate to see what the impact the current contract has & what installation charges might be involved. In-house wiring changes are required & the two u-verse voice lines share the same voicemail.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: wiring for uverse, 2 landlines

2 of 8 (1,276 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 5:16:04 AM
(0)
Employee
For clarification, you would like dual phone lines at each location in house one POTS line, one VOIP.
Your current situation is one line feeds whole or part of house while the second line is to a limited (perhaps home office) location.

If this is the desire, each jack location would need to be wired as line1, line2 and need a dual line phone at each location.
Another less expensive option is leave wiring alone and setup line B to call forward to line A to answer all calls anywhere phone A is located but calls out on line B stays at line B location.

The 2nd option is for in-law suite, to their own bedroom...when forwarded can answer in main part of house without need to rush to bedroom or miss call, but when retiring in evening can cancel call forwarding if desired for privacy.

Hope this helps, please post again if right or wrong interpretation of diesire, thanks
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 8 (1,271 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 8:45:00 AM
(0)
Employee

Heck yea it is! Smiley Happy

You just have to get the right technician, which is the hardest part. First off, let me explain what behind the wall plate looks like:

phone-jack-wiring-diagram.jpg

What you would do is take your Line A (Phone service) and run it through the Red & Green wires (because phone lines only need a positive and negative (red & green)) and then have the data line, use Yellow & Black.

The tech would most likely use a dual phone plate (as shown below):

60-781.png

And the top would be the phone line, and the bottom would be the data line.

Hopefully I've answered your questions. Feel free to ask more!

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 8 (1,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 3:51:25 PM
(0)
Tutor
Almost

1 house, 2 rooms
1 room has pots
1 room had separate pots and uverse Internet (this room' pots was cancelled)

So now one room has pots only, and one room has uverse Internet only.

Would it be possible to have same pots landline AND same uverse Internet working in both rooms?

Separate question: the one pots is a 60$ plan, 20$ taxes. I'm thinking of changing to a cheaper plan but if uverse phone requires rewiring and an unknown charge to it, then I'll look into pots cheaper plans.

Thanks for the input, Sorry for my earlier message, hopefully this clears it up a bit.

5 of 8 (1,240 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 4:37:01 PM
(0)
Employee
Yes as MarcHershey stated, need double wall jack, one set of wires blue/bluewhite (or red/green if quad) would be POTS line , the other pair orange/orangewhite (or yellow/black if quad) would be for Uverse sync from NID.

If looking into VOIP, much easier as RG provides phone, just plug phone into back of RG if only one phone in same room.
If desiring to backfeed VoiP to other jack locations still need double wall plate AND disconnect POTS line from NID.

Save money using VOIP, but if RG is down so is your phone line. Looking forward to what you will do, enjoy.

6 of 8 (1,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 4:37:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
suture - Looking at MarcHershey's beautiful pictures, One tel can be run throughout the house on the red/green pair and the other on the black/yellow pair. If both lines are U-verse, this wiring is fed by a single connection from the RG to the wall.

At each jack around the house you can have just one of the two connected or both by a two line phone, a splitter or the double jack wall plate in the second picture.

The wiring is easy. Especially if both are U-verse. So, get two U-verse lines & cancel the POTS - A win-win
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 8 (1,231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 7:27:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

Other option.  Wire 1 jack for 2 lines (Uverse Voice, POTS), then get a 2 line cordless phone system.

Will eliminate the wireing for all jacks, and you are not locked into specific locations (except for the base)

8 of 8 (1,157 Views)