Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 14, 2013
10:14:28 AM
View profile
wireless receiver short pauses (stutter) / can you intermix Cisco & Motorola receivers?

I just got U-verse triple-play installed Friday. Works great so far, except I'm having an intermittent problem with wireless receiver: the picture and sound will pause for a second or so and then start again and when it happens it does it again every 10 to 30 seconds. I can change the channel and go back to the original channel and everything is working again. Wireless receiver seems to always have 4 bars. In looking for answers, there were some comments in these forums about installations having the same manufacturer. I have a Motorola VIP2250 DVR and a Cisco ISP7005 wireless receiver.

Is intermixing equipment manufacturers OK? If so, what could be my problem? Thanks, Martin

I just got U-verse triple-play installed Friday. Works great so far, except I'm having an intermittent problem with wireless receiver: the picture and sound will pause for a second or so and then start again and when it happens it does it again every 10 to 30 seconds. I can change the channel and go back to the original channel and everything is working again. Wireless receiver seems to always have 4 bars. In looking for answers, there were some comments in these forums about installations having the same manufacturer. I have a Motorola VIP2250 DVR and a Cisco ISP7005 wireless receiver.

Is intermixing equipment manufacturers OK? If so, what could be my problem? Thanks, Martin

wireless receiver short pauses (stutter) / can you intermix Cisco & Motorola receivers?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2013 11:17:49 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi mdy,

I apologize for the inconveniences you are having with your wireless receiver. Hopefully, it will be a simple fix, but either way, I would be glad to do everything I can to get the issue resolved.

The first thing you may want to try to do is ensure there are no devices around your wireless receiver and the wireless access point, that may cause any kind of interference, such as baby monitors, wireless phones, or any other devices of that nature.

Also, you can try rebooting U-verse router by unplugging the power on the back of it for a few seconds, and then plugging it back in, and then rebooting the receiver by holding down the power button for 10 seconds or unplugging the power and plugging it back in.

If you still notice problems after that, there may be an issue with the wireless receiver or the wireless access point. I would be glad to get that addressed for you.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi mdy,

I apologize for the inconveniences you are having with your wireless receiver. Hopefully, it will be a simple fix, but either way, I would be glad to do everything I can to get the issue resolved.

The first thing you may want to try to do is ensure there are no devices around your wireless receiver and the wireless access point, that may cause any kind of interference, such as baby monitors, wireless phones, or any other devices of that nature.

Also, you can try rebooting U-verse router by unplugging the power on the back of it for a few seconds, and then plugging it back in, and then rebooting the receiver by holding down the power button for 10 seconds or unplugging the power and plugging it back in.

If you still notice problems after that, there may be an issue with the wireless receiver or the wireless access point. I would be glad to get that addressed for you.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: wireless receiver short pauses (stutter) / can you intermix Cisco & Motorola receivers?

2 of 5 (1,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 12:04:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi David,

I rebooted the router as you suggested. The WAP was right next to another wireless router so I moved it about 8 feet away. When I did that I saw that the power wire to the WAP looks like someone had fixed a short and there's a bulge wrapped it electrical tape; shouldn't be a problem (I'm getting power) but the short cord limits where I can move the WAP. Anyway, that seemed to help, but the next morning I was getting pixelation in areas on my TV (e.g., areas around the mouth of someone talking). Changed channels and got the same. So I moved the WAP 3 feet higher and that seems to have fixed the problem. I'm worried that I'm getting wireless receiver/WAP problems that are intermittent. Moving the WAP around, especially with it's short power cord, every time I have see a problem doesn't seem to be a great solution.

Thanks,

Martin

Hi David,

I rebooted the router as you suggested. The WAP was right next to another wireless router so I moved it about 8 feet away. When I did that I saw that the power wire to the WAP looks like someone had fixed a short and there's a bulge wrapped it electrical tape; shouldn't be a problem (I'm getting power) but the short cord limits where I can move the WAP. Anyway, that seemed to help, but the next morning I was getting pixelation in areas on my TV (e.g., areas around the mouth of someone talking). Changed channels and got the same. So I moved the WAP 3 feet higher and that seems to have fixed the problem. I'm worried that I'm getting wireless receiver/WAP problems that are intermittent. Moving the WAP around, especially with it's short power cord, every time I have see a problem doesn't seem to be a great solution.

Thanks,

Martin

Re: wireless receiver short pauses (stutter) / can you intermix Cisco & Motorola receivers?

3 of 5 (1,261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 12:30:20 PM
(0)
Community Support

Thank you for all that information Martin. I agree, there should be no reason to move it around just to make it work. It's as if we went back in time to when people had rabbit ear antennas and were moving it around to just get reception. 

At this point, I think there may be something defective with the equipment. I would be glad to help you get this replaced.

-David T

Thank you for all that information Martin. I agree, there should be no reason to move it around just to make it work. It's as if we went back in time to when people had rabbit ear antennas and were moving it around to just get reception. 

At this point, I think there may be something defective with the equipment. I would be glad to help you get this replaced.

-David T

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 5 (1,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 7:14:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have a skipping problem:  Only with HD 'recorded' content.  Only on the wireless receiver.   The recorded material plays back fine on the dvr box.   The wireless receiver will play 'unrecorded' content both in SD and HD without skipping.  Only with HD 'recorded' content does the pause and skip occur.

What we have done.

I've called and gone through the 'power' reset by pushing and holding the button on the wireless receiver.

I've unplugged the unit, waited and re-plugged.   I've pushed the 'ok and down arrow' simultaneously.  I've wired the wireless receiver to the residential gateway.  (the dvr box is ethernet connected to the RG)  None of those things has resolved the issue.   It comes back withing 30 minutes.

Next,

I had the wireless receiver replaced with a new wireless receiver.  Two weeks have gone by and now that box is beginning to pause and skip on HD recorded content.

Other info,

I live next to radio towers.  ATT upgraded my wiring and added a new RG this past October.  Up to that time, my HD picture would have some pixelation.  I 'overheard' the signal reaching my home degrades somewhat to 16Mbs (don't know if that figure is accurate, just overheard it).

What do I do next?

I have a skipping problem:  Only with HD 'recorded' content.  Only on the wireless receiver.   The recorded material plays back fine on the dvr box.   The wireless receiver will play 'unrecorded' content both in SD and HD without skipping.  Only with HD 'recorded' content does the pause and skip occur.

What we have done.

I've called and gone through the 'power' reset by pushing and holding the button on the wireless receiver.

I've unplugged the unit, waited and re-plugged.   I've pushed the 'ok and down arrow' simultaneously.  I've wired the wireless receiver to the residential gateway.  (the dvr box is ethernet connected to the RG)  None of those things has resolved the issue.   It comes back withing 30 minutes.

Next,

I had the wireless receiver replaced with a new wireless receiver.  Two weeks have gone by and now that box is beginning to pause and skip on HD recorded content.

Other info,

I live next to radio towers.  ATT upgraded my wiring and added a new RG this past October.  Up to that time, my HD picture would have some pixelation.  I 'overheard' the signal reaching my home degrades somewhat to 16Mbs (don't know if that figure is accurate, just overheard it).

What do I do next?

5 of 5 (1,121 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments