why don't my phone jacks around my house work since switching to uverse

Contributor

why don't my phone jacks around my house work since switching to uverse

It seems the only jack that works is the 1 nearest the computer ?? I need for my phone jacks to be working in all the rooms in my house

Message 1 of 10
ACE - Expert

Re: why don't my phone jacks around my house work since switching to uverse

jzaffino - Usually, all the jacks in the house are connected together - either daisy chained or star burst off one connecting block.

For POTS, the jacks are connected to the NID on the side of the house.. For u-verse voice connect from the tel jack on the RG (modem).

If you have that last connection & it only works for one jack in the same plate, the wire that goes to the rest of the house must not be connected.

If you are not familiar with this wiring it would be best to have an expert do this for you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 10
Employee

Was this a self install or full tech install?

Suspect self install, ordered voip not POTS. The wire from NID to RG (computer room?) Provides the signal for RG.
If ordered VOIP, your phone signal is on back of RG, if a base station pkug base into line 1 of RG, satellite phone should work
If hardwired phones will need to rewire house and jacks.

First will need double jack at RG, with dedicated pair or cable (homerun) from NID to RG.
The current connection is your backfeed for phone jacks.

On a customer self install you assume responsibility for all inside wiring.
If not able to do call and schedule a tech visit, minimum charge $99.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 10
Contributor

No this was not a self install.....???   I switched from regular phone and DSL internet to U-verse for both shouldn't my tech have completed this process when he was here ?

Message 4 of 10
ACE - Expert

jzaffino wrote:

No this was not a self install.....???   I switched from regular phone and DSL internet to U-verse for both shouldn't my tech have completed this process when he was here ?

Yes.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 10
Contributor

Now ATT is saying there might be a charge to fix their error !!! I DON'
T THINK SO !
Message 6 of 10
ACE - Expert

They (the phone reps) have to say that.  However, for the first 30 days, a problem with wiring from the original installation is their responsibility.

After that, though, it becomes yours.

Message 7 of 10
Tutor

Since it was an AT&T install, did the premis tech leave a tag with his number?  

If so, give the premis tech a call, and see what ghe says..

Message 8 of 10
Employee

"No this was not a self install.....??? I switched from regular phone and DSL internet to U-verse for both shouldn't my tech have completed this process when he was here ?"

Which RG? Was the RG shipped direct to you or come off the tech truck?

If shipped, was a self install, if provided by tech at time of doing inside wiring, install then FTI.
If a tech install phone number is activated by tech and should make both an incoming and outgoing call.
On a self install, you call a number to activate the line.

So this was a full tech tech install (FTI) correct? No bill for inside wiring within 30days.
If a CSI (customer self install) then would be billed $99.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Expert

jzaffino, click the hyperlink in my sig for AT&T Customer Care.  They are an escalation team that is higher than regular Customer Service, and they can get this resolved for you.  Send thema PM with your info and the issue and someone will be in touch with you.  Watch the blue envelope at the top of the forum page for message notification, as they will reply to you via PM as well.

Message 10 of 10
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support