Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 12, 2013
6:54:45 AM
View profile
where can i buy a replacement remote?

I have a remote control that is somehow "stuck" with the att button glowing red.  It's totally non functional.  I've taken the batteries out, checked for stuck buttons, to no avail.  I've had it less than a year.  I just want to swap it out, and I have conflicting answers as to how to get a remote from ATT, online, and calling.  Can they be purchased at a Best Buy?  I don't want to wait 5 days for a remote control.  The system is useless without it.  When I had comcast, I could just take it to their location and get a new one without any hassle.  I'm more than a little miffed about this.

I have a remote control that is somehow "stuck" with the att button glowing red.  It's totally non functional.  I've taken the batteries out, checked for stuck buttons, to no avail.  I've had it less than a year.  I just want to swap it out, and I have conflicting answers as to how to get a remote from ATT, online, and calling.  Can they be purchased at a Best Buy?  I don't want to wait 5 days for a remote control.  The system is useless without it.  When I had comcast, I could just take it to their location and get a new one without any hassle.  I'm more than a little miffed about this.

where can i buy a replacement remote?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2013 7:01:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
mrskengage - Ever see at&t trucks in the area. A tech may have an extra. See if customer care can get you one. PM with this link - http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773
mrskengage - Ever see at&t trucks in the area. A tech may have an extra. See if customer care can get you one. PM with this link - http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: where can i buy a replacement remote?

2 of 11 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2013 7:21:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The normal mechanism is to call AT&T Technical Support at 800-288-2020 to request a  new one.  Or take the PM route offered above.  Running after an AT&T truck is a long shot. Smiley Wink

Depending on what you have lying around the house, you can use some smart phones or an iPod Touch to control the Set Top until you get your replacement remote.

The normal mechanism is to call AT&T Technical Support at 800-288-2020 to request a  new one.  Or take the PM route offered above.  Running after an AT&T truck is a long shot. Smiley Wink

Depending on what you have lying around the house, you can use some smart phones or an iPod Touch to control the Set Top until you get your replacement remote.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 11 (883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2013 7:23:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

I will try that.  I tried chatting online with ATT, calling ATT tech support as the chat women recommended.  All to no avail.  And inconsistent answers.  Tech told me the store might have one.  In fact, why DON'T the stores have them?  I shouldn't have to buy one, but if I do, it's not going to be from ATT and I might consider switching my cable again.

I will try that.  I tried chatting online with ATT, calling ATT tech support as the chat women recommended.  All to no avail.  And inconsistent answers.  Tech told me the store might have one.  In fact, why DON'T the stores have them?  I shouldn't have to buy one, but if I do, it's not going to be from ATT and I might consider switching my cable again.

4 of 11 (882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2013 7:33:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

Well.  I sent them a message.  This is just ludicrous.  I am rather a hermit, and a poor one at that.  If I have to BUY one, then that's it for Uverse.  

Well.  I sent them a message.  This is just ludicrous.  I am rather a hermit, and a poor one at that.  If I have to BUY one, then that's it for Uverse.  

5 of 11 (878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2013 7:52:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I have had mine replaced at no cost when it failed due to mfr defect, but it did take a few days to receive.

AT&T stores are not really set up to service U-verse; they're really AT&T mobility stores but they try to be polite to other customers and will take payments for all services.

I have had mine replaced at no cost when it failed due to mfr defect, but it did take a few days to receive.

AT&T stores are not really set up to service U-verse; they're really AT&T mobility stores but they try to be polite to other customers and will take payments for all services.

6 of 11 (875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 8:57:21 AM
(0)
Tutor
good luck! I have been trying to get a new remote for over 3 weeks. supposedly it will be here in the next couple days. Don't pay for a remote. it should be free for customers
good luck! I have been trying to get a new remote for over 3 weeks. supposedly it will be here in the next couple days. Don't pay for a remote. it should be free for customers

7 of 11 (669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 8:59:08 AM
(0)
Tutor
do not buy a remote. they are supposed to be free for customers. call the 800 number and try to get to tech support. good luck
do not buy a remote. they are supposed to be free for customers. call the 800 number and try to get to tech support. good luck

8 of 11 (669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 9:09:07 AM
(0)
Employee
Remotes are not supposed to be free, they are included with your initial install just as a battery is included with a BBU (battery backup unit). After installs, lost, dog toy, dropped in fish tank, whatever you are responsible.
Normal wear and tear does happen.

To order new from AT&T $20 http://www.att.com/equipment/accessories/tv-remotes.jsp?source=ICEQEQ51600UVR02 free shipping.

Or may buy used off ebay, normally $5 plus shipping.
Remotes are not supposed to be free, they are included with your initial install just as a battery is included with a BBU (battery backup unit). After installs, lost, dog toy, dropped in fish tank, whatever you are responsible.
Normal wear and tear does happen.

To order new from AT&T $20 http://www.att.com/equipment/accessories/tv-remotes.jsp?source=ICEQEQ51600UVR02 free shipping.

Or may buy used off ebay, normally $5 plus shipping.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 11 (666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 8:19:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Unless something has changed I have received a total of 4 free remotes from AT&T.  I initially had the gray ones that I was given when I got the service.  Since then I have remotes fail at differing times at which I called CS and requested a replacement.  And received them about 3 or 4 days later at no charge.  It is not surprising if this practice has been changed by AT&T.

Unless something has changed I have received a total of 4 free remotes from AT&T.  I initially had the gray ones that I was given when I got the service.  Since then I have remotes fail at differing times at which I called CS and requested a replacement.  And received them about 3 or 4 days later at no charge.  It is not surprising if this practice has been changed by AT&T.

10 of 11 (617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 4:38:18 AM
(0)
Mentor

There was an article in thIs months "This Old House Magazine"  about what to fix with a toothpick.

A stuck remote button was one.  It states "take a toothpick and stick in into a container of alcohol and then work the toothpick round the edge of the button".  Do this afew times and it should work.  Worth giving it a try.

There was an article in thIs months "This Old House Magazine"  about what to fix with a toothpick.

A stuck remote button was one.  It states "take a toothpick and stick in into a container of alcohol and then work the toothpick round the edge of the button".  Do this afew times and it should work.  Worth giving it a try.

11 of 11 (543 Views)