Helpful Links

what wireless speeds should I expect

Mentor

Re: what wireless speeds should I expect

Also, could the slow internet be related to the static on the phone line and the pixelated TV picture?
Message 16 of 24
Employee

Related. ..possible....type of RG, how connected .... if pace /2wire download uvrealtime and post screen shots.

phone POTS or VOIP ( separate phone bill, POTS....combined is voip.
how are tvs connected, all same or different, coax...ethernet...wireless?
Still looking for wired speed tests.

could be outside issue, nid issue, inside wiring, RG or your equipment.
Some, POTS wiring issue out or in... non Uverse related while VOIP with phone plugged into RG is good, house has static is inside wiring.

If all services intermittent, then strongly encourage call or chat for tech visit. May have one issue affecting all or three separate issues needing addtessed.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 17 of 24
Mentor

Modem is NVG589. RG is Cisco ISB7500. Wireless transmitter is VEN501. NID is supposedly new. Everything is connected with CAT5. TV is connected with HDMI cable. Second TV is wireless. Phone lines are less than 5 years old. I've had 10 techs out, 3 of which were outside line techs. Wired speed on my laptop is 14mbps download. I do not have a way to wire my tablet or phone to the modem. All services are intermittent, except for the internet. The internet is always slow through WiFi. The rest of the stuff you said is over my head, as I'm just a customer, and do not work for AT&T. I have no idea what that stuff means.  In my dumb customer brain though, this seems like stuff that the techs that came out should have looked into before telling me that AT&T just sucks at internet and leaving.

Message 18 of 24
ACE - Expert

mbondi wrote:

Modem is NVG589. RG is Cisco ISB7500. Wireless transmitter is VEN501. NID is supposedly new. Everything is connected with CAT5. TV is connected with HDMI cable. Second TV is wireless. Phone lines are less than 5 years old. I've had 10 techs out, 3 of which were outside line techs. Wired speed on my laptop is 14mbps download. I do not have a way to wire my tablet or phone to the modem. All services are intermittent, except for the internet. The internet is always slow through WiFi. The rest of the stuff you said is over my head, as I'm just a customer, and do not work for AT&T. I have no idea what that stuff means.  In my dumb customer brain though, this seems like stuff that the techs that came out should have looked into before telling me that AT&T just sucks at internet and leaving.

Thanks, useful info.  

To clarify terms for you and others: Your "modem" is your "RG" and is the NVG 589.  This means that UVrealtime won't work for you.  DVR is Cisco ISB7500.

14 Mbps download on wired means that you're getting near the 18 Mbps into your RG.  This means, in a perfect environment, you should be getting 14 Mbps wireless.  If the problem is your environment, i.e. your neighbor's wireless is impacting yours, etc. then I'm not sure what you expect AT&T to do about it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 24
Mentor

So you're saying that if I am sitting directly next to the equipment, and the channel does not overlap with the neighbor's wireless, and there are no physical obstructions...and the WiFi STILL isn't working, then I should not be on here looking for help? How would I know that the environment is the problem? I did not have these problems with the last service provider, and that equipment was 5 years old. I was getting 21-24mbps on average. Also, how would environment and the neighbor's WiFi affece my telephone and television?

What are you saying?

I figured that since AT&T is providing the service, and I am providing the money...AT&T should probably work with me to make the services good enough to be used. Am I wrong, JefferMC? Should I just shut up and accept that the internet is not usable through WiFi? Should I just shut up and accept that I cannot get through a half-hour TV show without it freezing for a few minutes? Should I just shut up and accept that the phone has too much static to hear the other person? Please...tell me again that I shouldn't expect AT&T to do something about it.

[Please keep it courteous]

Message 20 of 24
ACE - Expert

I said, "if the problem is the environment," which is a determination yet to be made.  

AT&T delivers HSI with a Wi-FI access device.  People keep saying they're buying AT&T Wireless Internet and it's Slow/Unrelibable/Blazing-Fast/Multicolored/able-to-jump-tall-dogs/etc.  Please, please, please separate the HSI from the WiFi.  If the ISP doesn't deliver a good bandwidth into your home, then fixing that is solely the province of the ISP.  Once the bandwidth is there, there are too many unknowns to control, and too many alternative solutions, for the ISP to provide an-out-of-the-box-once-size-fits-all solution.  I really would like to have a long talk with the guy who thought up including the WiFi radio in gateway modem/routers.  At the end of a long pier.  With some concrete blocks.  You get the idea.

Can I ask you to do another diagnostic step?  Take your browser to http://192.168.1.254 (your RG) and navigate the menus until you find the page that shows the sync rates, S/N ratios.  Copy and paste that data here (mask off any MAC addresses or IP addresses you need to).  I'd like to see your profile rates.

I also hear you have U-verse IPTV?  Are you watching or recording HD TV while doing speed tests?  Are you considering the possible impact of this on your HSI bandwidth?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 24
Mentor

You're saying that AT&T only promised to turn the internet on...they made no promises to deliver it to my house. Also, I cannot use internet while watching TV, or while I'm on the phone. Am I understanding you?

Message 22 of 24
ACE - Expert

I'm sorry mbondi, but I'm done with you.  I have no need to try to inform or assist someone with an overlarge chip on their shoulder.

Good luck.

Message 23 of 24
Highlighted

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this subject.

This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will help other users find this information too!  Use the Kudos Button to offer a thumbs-up for good content.

Message 24 of 24
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support