Explore & discover

Helpful Links

what 2 wires from cat 5 go to the outside nid? box

what 2 wires from cat 5 go to the outside nid? box

I told tech I would be installing new cat 5 wiring in my house that we are remodeling. I thought I could hook up my old coax cable for the time being but when we went to install it in the outside box there is no module for it. I guess tech installed newer box without coax connector. tech said just use the last 2 spots on the right side  on the wiring block. But my cat 5 has 4 pair of wires. which 2 do I use? thanks. I really need to hook it up so I can use my internet.

Message 1 of 11
Employee

Re: what 2 wires from cat 5 go to the outside nid? box

Use whatever pair you are hooking up at walljack.
Traditional phone pairs used by Uverse techs are blue pair line 1 phones, orange pair for line 2 phones, green pair for uverse.

If this is internet only in house use either blue or green pair, if planning on using POTS or VOIP recommend using green pair.

Again connection at NID must match center pins of jack or wall plate. Drop .....protector....line mod (use far right, make sure to close door tight).....wall plate.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 11

thanks for getting back to me. there are no phone jacks, no wall plates. just a cat 5 cable plugged into the back of the modem with the other end running outside to the wall mounted gray box. This is just a temp install where I can move it around while I work on the house .

Message 3 of 11
Employee

The end is RJ11 can you see the colors of the middle pair, tech made probably green or blue. Would try green pair first at NID if no sync, remove green and install blue.
Only four possible combinations but other two are slim. If this was pre made cable where the end was just cut off only 2 pair (blue and orange) and would connect blue.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 11

yes the blue and green are in the middle .its a factory made cable that my son cut one end off of. it has 4 pair of wires I tried the green  and the red light continued to blink. I just went out to try the blue. I installed he solid blue in the far right connector and the blue white to the left . fingers crossed. thanks again, Michael

Message 5 of 11

there are 4 orange push down locking tabs side by side. each tab has 2 slots for wires. do both wires go in the same tabs? The tech pointed to the last 2 tabs like one wire went into each. does it matter is solid is on the right or left? that should do it. checks in the mail .

Message 6 of 11
Employee

Both wires go into same tab, solid color to right (red , ring, right)
The three tabs to left should be empty, door must be closed to completed circuit. Will never get sync to RG if door is open.
Message 7 of 11
Employee

Also when inserting wires must push down on tab to lock in place then close door.
Run the wires to right of door in between C shape.

Hope this resolves your issue, best
Message 8 of 11
Contributor

I have DSL for UVerse TV and Internet.  I have POTS for Line 1 & Line 2, or so I thought.  Here is how my wiring was done.  From the right hand of the upper orange NIB customer interface (there are two, an upper and lower set of four pair each), the green pair of a CAT5E cable is connected.  The cable runs to a CAT5E quickport connector where it is wired to the blue pair (crossover from green pair to blue pair).  A green "data cable" phone wire connects the green pair from the connector to the RG box.  The RG "splits" the two phone lines from the DSL, then the output from that goes back over a separate 2P phone line to a second CAT5E quickport connector, which is wired correctly to the the blue and orange pairs of the CAT5E cable which came from the NID.  At the NID, the blue and orange pairs are then "spliced" to the original red/green/yellow/black phone wiring, which connects to the home phones.

Couple of questions.  First, rather than "splicing" the pairs, can I use the NIB orange connectors to do the same thing?  Are both sets of connectors active?  Are any of the pairs of connectors active other than the rightmost pair which connects to the green pair?  What is the purpose of the second NIB connector? And what is the purpose of the RJ45 jacks, are they only for testing?  Secondly, if I want to rewire the home phones with new CAT5E or CAT6 wiring, is there any reason to run the line 1/line 2 wiring back out to the NID, or can I just run it from a central patch panel which is fed from the RG?

Thanks for any help.

Message 9 of 11
Employee

The NIB is a line mod (ability to attach 4 phones (pots)) with quick disconnect for test pots lines.

Your install is a single data line (green) feeds RG, the VOIP lines 1 and 2 are backfeed to your existing house wiring.
The second line mod is for bonded pair installs,provides the second sync line.
As you no longer have pots the RJ45 jack is for testing sync from drop wire.

On a rewire, can simply run from RG to demarc (line distribution point) for phones.
Message 10 of 11
Contributor

My dog pulled the wires out of my outside box . I have an orange , orange and white , blue, blue and white . I have an orange connector and just need to know where the wires go 

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support