View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 2:23:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

I saw an advertisement about this.  Is it only for AT&T cells?  If not, how is this accomplished?

I saw an advertisement about this.  Is it only for AT&T cells?  If not, how is this accomplished?

Re: watch tv on phone

2 of 21 (1,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 2:38:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The AT&T Mobile TV is a product of AT&T Wireless, not AT&T U-Verse. This feature for your phone costs extra and is not provided for free if you have U-Verse

There are some TV Channels that have their own apps or will allow access to their streaming services if you are a U-Verse TV Customer, such as Disney, ESPN, TBS, etc. Also if you're signed up for Premium channels such as HBO or Showtime, you have access to their apps and streaming service.

On the AT&T U-Verse iPad app there are some shows that you can watch for free if it works on the device. But I think this is limited to iOS and a few Android devices.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

The AT&T Mobile TV is a product of AT&T Wireless, not AT&T U-Verse. This feature for your phone costs extra and is not provided for free if you have U-Verse

There are some TV Channels that have their own apps or will allow access to their streaming services if you are a U-Verse TV Customer, such as Disney, ESPN, TBS, etc. Also if you're signed up for Premium channels such as HBO or Showtime, you have access to their apps and streaming service.

On the AT&T U-Verse iPad app there are some shows that you can watch for free if it works on the device. But I think this is limited to iOS and a few Android devices.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 21 (1,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 2:46:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Jun 10, 2013 at 3:07:12 PM

The capability is based on wi-fi not cell, so it does not require att cell service. But, it seems that it is currently available only for ios (apple).

But, it is limited to a short list of shows. The latest u-guide has all this App & on-demand stuff featured - How great it is.

The listing for the U-verse app for ipad & iphone says - "Watch shows in real time". It is not a U-verse channel. It is like u-verse.com.

U-verse for ipad allows watching. U-verse for i-phone says no, due to contracts. Using a browser with u-verse.com loadsthe site, but does not play - saying adobe flash is need to play. When download is attempted , it is not allowed.

Apps and the new on-demand support have a long - long way to go to meet expectations that are generated by the feature articles.

The capability is based on wi-fi not cell, so it does not require att cell service. But, it seems that it is currently available only for ios (apple).

But, it is limited to a short list of shows. The latest u-guide has all this App & on-demand stuff featured - How great it is.

The listing for the U-verse app for ipad & iphone says - "Watch shows in real time". It is not a U-verse channel. It is like u-verse.com.

U-verse for ipad allows watching. U-verse for i-phone says no, due to contracts. Using a browser with u-verse.com loadsthe site, but does not play - saying adobe flash is need to play. When download is attempted , it is not allowed.

Apps and the new on-demand support have a long - long way to go to meet expectations that are generated by the feature articles.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 21 (1,460 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2013 1:47:50 PM
(0)
Teacher
And again UVERSE is showing their lack of support by not offering this service while their competitors do.

I HATE UVERSE!!

How can AT&T cellular offer me a service to watch TV on my phone, however AT&T TV does not offer a service to let me watch TV?!?!

Absolutely ridiculous. i you have AT&T Cell/Uverse than this feature should be automatic. Not to mention IT SHOULD BE FREE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

IF YOU ARE READING THIS DO NOT GET UVERSE
And again UVERSE is showing their lack of support by not offering this service while their competitors do.

I HATE UVERSE!!

How can AT&T cellular offer me a service to watch TV on my phone, however AT&T TV does not offer a service to let me watch TV?!?!

Absolutely ridiculous. i you have AT&T Cell/Uverse than this feature should be automatic. Not to mention IT SHOULD BE FREE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

5 of 21 (1,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2013 6:29:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Jul 1, 2013 at 6:34:45 PM

toddious wrote:

I HATE UVERSE!!

What?

AT&T Wireless provides an service (now called "Mobile TV", but inexplicably used to have U-verse in its previous name) that allows some watching of TV shows for a monthly fee.  The video may be streamed over the carrier's mobile networks (3G/4G/LTE).

AT&T Uverse provides a different app (U-verse Mobile) that allows some watching of TV shows on certain Android and iPhones.  There are a bunch of other apps that are now available to AT&T U-verse customers that allow them to watch content on a mobile phone (e.g. HBO, SHOWTIME, ESPN).  Whether this video content may be downloaded or streamed and over what type of network depends on the actual application in use.  There is no additional fee for this service above what you pay for your U-verse IPTV tier, which controls what content you will be able to view (e.g. you have to subscribe to U-300 or Showtime to use the Showtime app).

Now considering this, what "this service" are you referring to that "UVERSE" is failing to offer "while their competitors do?"

See here for the mobile applicatoins provided for U-verse subscribers: http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/default.jsp?view=uvmobile#/featuresCategory=true

toddious wrote:

I HATE UVERSE!!

What?

AT&T Wireless provides an service (now called "Mobile TV", but inexplicably used to have U-verse in its previous name) that allows some watching of TV shows for a monthly fee.  The video may be streamed over the carrier's mobile networks (3G/4G/LTE).

AT&T Uverse provides a different app (U-verse Mobile) that allows some watching of TV shows on certain Android and iPhones.  There are a bunch of other apps that are now available to AT&T U-verse customers that allow them to watch content on a mobile phone (e.g. HBO, SHOWTIME, ESPN).  Whether this video content may be downloaded or streamed and over what type of network depends on the actual application in use.  There is no additional fee for this service above what you pay for your U-verse IPTV tier, which controls what content you will be able to view (e.g. you have to subscribe to U-300 or Showtime to use the Showtime app).

Now considering this, what "this service" are you referring to that "UVERSE" is failing to offer "while their competitors do?"

See here for the mobile applicatoins provided for U-verse subscribers: http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/default.jsp?view=uvmobile#/featuresCategory=true

[ Edited ]
6 of 21 (1,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 6:18:02 AM
(0)
Teacher
LIVE STREAMING TV. Thats what I'm referring to. It's very simple. I want to watch NBC right now, on my iPad. I pay $150/month in Uverse and another $100/month to AT&T wireless.

Tell me how I can do that? Oh that's right, I can't. Although with Brighthouse and DirecTV I can.

The JOKE that they call the iPad app does not allow any LIVE streaming. I can choose from their pre-selected offerings (then I might as well be using Netflix on my iPad which has a better selection anyway), or I can use the iPad to control my cable box (POINTLESS).

What part of: " I WANT LIVE STREAMING TV ON MY IPAD " do you not understand? Spin it how you want, Uverse does not offer this.

IF YOU'RE READING THIS DO NOT GET UVERSE

LIVE STREAMING TV. Thats what I'm referring to. It's very simple. I want to watch NBC right now, on my iPad. I pay $150/month in Uverse and another $100/month to AT&T wireless.

Tell me how I can do that? Oh that's right, I can't. Although with Brighthouse and DirecTV I can.

The JOKE that they call the iPad app does not allow any LIVE streaming. I can choose from their pre-selected offerings (then I might as well be using Netflix on my iPad which has a better selection anyway), or I can use the iPad to control my cable box (POINTLESS).

What part of: " I WANT LIVE STREAMING TV ON MY IPAD " do you not understand? Spin it how you want, Uverse does not offer this.

7 of 21 (1,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 8:25:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Okay, I understand now: because you can't watch live TV on your 10" iPad screen, no one, anywhere, whether they even own a tablet or not, should subscribe to U-verse.  

Thanks for the public service announcement.

Okay, I understand now: because you can't watch live TV on your 10" iPad screen, no one, anywhere, whether they even own a tablet or not, should subscribe to U-verse.  

Thanks for the public service announcement.

8 of 21 (1,177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 1:05:59 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Jul 2, 2013 at 1:18:16 PM

I'm making legitimate claims about my service experience. I suppose you only want the posts up that are praising Uverse. Unfortunately I'm not one of your (most likely paid) "Professors" who's going to sit here and praise my Uverse experience and try to mislead others into thinking their experience is based on unrealistic expectations.

JefferMC tried to tell me in 4 different posts that my claims were unsubstantiated- while in the end (as shown above)- I had a valid point the whole time. THERE IS NO TRUE IPAD STREAMING APP FOR UVERSE. Plain and simple. No need for the babbling explanation.

I'm sure this post won't be up long- so read it while it's hot.....

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

I'm making legitimate claims about my service experience. I suppose you only want the posts up that are praising Uverse. Unfortunately I'm not one of your (most likely paid) "Professors" who's going to sit here and praise my Uverse experience and try to mislead others into thinking their experience is based on unrealistic expectations.

JefferMC tried to tell me in 4 different posts that my claims were unsubstantiated- while in the end (as shown above)- I had a valid point the whole time. THERE IS NO TRUE IPAD STREAMING APP FOR UVERSE. Plain and simple. No need for the babbling explanation.

I'm sure this post won't be up long- so read it while it's hot.....

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
9 of 21 (1,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 1:09:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Say it with me:

It isn't CABLE.

It isn't SATELLITE.

It's Uverse.

Say it with me:

It isn't CABLE.

It isn't SATELLITE.

It's Uverse.

10 of 21 (1,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 1:21:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

One of your posts was moved to create a new thread.  Other posts were merged into another similar thread started by someone else.  Your other posts complaining that your posts were deleted were probably removed because they didn't comply with community guidelines (because they discussed moderator action) and weren't accurate (at least at first, until they themselves got deleted; then they were accurate, but gone.).

This post probably will be deleted because it, too, discusses moderator action, but I did want to attempt to get this message to you.  Normally, when a moderator deletes a post due to lack of compliance with guidelines, they send you a PM to let you know.  I'd look up in the upper right hand corner (next to the Log Out button) and see if there isn't a blinking blue envelope.

One of your posts was moved to create a new thread.  Other posts were merged into another similar thread started by someone else.  Your other posts complaining that your posts were deleted were probably removed because they didn't comply with community guidelines (because they discussed moderator action) and weren't accurate (at least at first, until they themselves got deleted; then they were accurate, but gone.).

This post probably will be deleted because it, too, discusses moderator action, but I did want to attempt to get this message to you.  Normally, when a moderator deletes a post due to lack of compliance with guidelines, they send you a PM to let you know.  I'd look up in the upper right hand corner (next to the Log Out button) and see if there isn't a blinking blue envelope.

11 of 21 (1,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 1:26:25 PM
(0)
Teacher
I'm making legitimate claims about my service experience. I suppose AT&T only wants the posts up that are praising Uverse. Unfortunately I'm not one of your (most likely paid) "Professors" who's going to sit here and praise my Uverse experience and try to mislead others into thinking their experience is based on unrealistic expectations.

"Another forum member" tried to tell me in 4 different posts that my claims were unsubstantiated- while in the end (as shown above)- I had a valid point the whole time. THERE IS NO TRUE IPAD STREAMING APP FOR UVERSE. Plain and simple. No need for the babbling explanation.

There are an abundance of reasons that I'm not happy with Uverse- which apparently cannot be documented in this thread (but can be found in another thread). I realize it's not cable or satellite- but I didn't expect that to mean I should expect poor quality service.

I'm making legitimate claims about my service experience. I suppose AT&T only wants the posts up that are praising Uverse. Unfortunately I'm not one of your (most likely paid) "Professors" who's going to sit here and praise my Uverse experience and try to mislead others into thinking their experience is based on unrealistic expectations.

"Another forum member" tried to tell me in 4 different posts that my claims were unsubstantiated- while in the end (as shown above)- I had a valid point the whole time. THERE IS NO TRUE IPAD STREAMING APP FOR UVERSE. Plain and simple. No need for the babbling explanation.

There are an abundance of reasons that I'm not happy with Uverse- which apparently cannot be documented in this thread (but can be found in another thread). I realize it's not cable or satellite- but I didn't expect that to mean I should expect poor quality service.

12 of 21 (1,076 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 1:51:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

toddious wrote:

Once you clearly specified your issue was that you cannot stream live TV content to your iPad, then yes, we have to agree that's true.

And this post, and others, reiterating your complaints are still here, so long as they don't violate the community guidelines (which don't specify that your posts must be AT&T friendly).

Finally... I am not an AT&T employee, nor am I paid to post any of this.  Just trying to help out other U-verse customers by providing accurate information about the services AT&T provides.

toddious wrote:

Once you clearly specified your issue was that you cannot stream live TV content to your iPad, then yes, we have to agree that's true.

And this post, and others, reiterating your complaints are still here, so long as they don't violate the community guidelines (which don't specify that your posts must be AT&T friendly).

Finally... I am not an AT&T employee, nor am I paid to post any of this.  Just trying to help out other U-verse customers by providing accurate information about the services AT&T provides.

13 of 21 (1,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 4:18:22 PM
(0)
Expert

No, the DirecTV iPad app does NOT allow live streaming. It is On Demand content, just like U-Verse's apps are.

See here:

http://www.directv.com/technology/mobile_apps/ipad

There are references in several places on that page to On Demand content, not live.

Brighthouse's app allows some live streaming of certain channels (not all), but only within your own home on wireless. (No place shifting allowed). See here:

http://brighthouse.com/corporate/my-services/app-center/bhtv

The ONLY way to watch live TV from your own TV to an iPad, iPhone, or Android phone/tablet without channel or place restrictions is with a 3rd-party hardware/software solution like a Slingbox or Vulkano, which work with any provider.

No, the DirecTV iPad app does NOT allow live streaming. It is On Demand content, just like U-Verse's apps are.

See here:

http://www.directv.com/technology/mobile_apps/ipad

There are references in several places on that page to On Demand content, not live.

Brighthouse's app allows some live streaming of certain channels (not all), but only within your own home on wireless. (No place shifting allowed). See here:

http://brighthouse.com/corporate/my-services/app-center/bhtv

The ONLY way to watch live TV from your own TV to an iPad, iPhone, or Android phone/tablet without channel or place restrictions is with a 3rd-party hardware/software solution like a Slingbox or Vulkano, which work with any provider.

14 of 21 (1,043 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 6:20:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

@SomeJoe7777,  I was as doubtful as you were, but what I got from this post tells me that given:

- The correct DirecTV DVR with the correct software version

- With an available tuner

- and an IP network connection between your iPad and that DVR

you can stream Live TV using your DirecTV system:

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3893

Let me know if you disagree with this assessment after reading this article.

@SomeJoe7777,  I was as doubtful as you were, but what I got from this post tells me that given:

- The correct DirecTV DVR with the correct software version

- With an available tuner

- and an IP network connection between your iPad and that DVR

you can stream Live TV using your DirecTV system:

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3893

Let me know if you disagree with this assessment after reading this article.

15 of 21 (1,014 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 7:12:24 PM
(0)
Expert
OK, that looks to be a bit different than the generic iPad app I linked to above. However, it has the same restrictions as Brighthouse's system:

- No place shifting (you can only view the channels on the iPad within your own home on your own WiFi network).
- Not all channels are available to stream live, only the ones that have been "approved" by DirecTV.

In addition, this appears to require a specific receiver or group of receivers -- not all receivers have this capability.

To me, if you can't watch it outside your home via your Internet connection, it's pretty worthless. I already have TVs in my home where I want to watch TV, I don't need an iPad to watch TV in my home. I need it to work outside my home where I don't have a TV.

And if the channels are limited, what good does that do? Murphy's law dictates that the exact program you want to watch will be on one of the channels that they don't allow this on.
OK, that looks to be a bit different than the generic iPad app I linked to above. However, it has the same restrictions as Brighthouse's system:

- No place shifting (you can only view the channels on the iPad within your own home on your own WiFi network).
- Not all channels are available to stream live, only the ones that have been "approved" by DirecTV.

In addition, this appears to require a specific receiver or group of receivers -- not all receivers have this capability.

To me, if you can't watch it outside your home via your Internet connection, it's pretty worthless. I already have TVs in my home where I want to watch TV, I don't need an iPad to watch TV in my home. I need it to work outside my home where I don't have a TV.

And if the channels are limited, what good does that do? Murphy's law dictates that the exact program you want to watch will be on one of the channels that they don't allow this on.

16 of 21 (1,004 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 8:21:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Yep, the only provider that allows streaming outside of the house is Dish using the Hopper, it has a slingbox built into it.  For me, a slingbox is the best way to go and I love my slingbox and use it quite frequently while I'm at work.  I also have Hulu+, Netflix and Amazon Prime for 99% of the shows I watch. Slingbox has apps you can download for iphone/pad, android devices an Kindle Fire. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Yep, the only provider that allows streaming outside of the house is Dish using the Hopper, it has a slingbox built into it.  For me, a slingbox is the best way to go and I love my slingbox and use it quite frequently while I'm at work.  I also have Hulu+, Netflix and Amazon Prime for 99% of the shows I watch. Slingbox has apps you can download for iphone/pad, android devices an Kindle Fire. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

17 of 21 (935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 7:20:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

You can get free tv through http://www.dyle.tv/ ... all you buy is a little bitty antena. Samsung has a phone with the antena built in it.

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!

You can get free tv through http://www.dyle.tv/ ... all you buy is a little bitty antena. Samsung has a phone with the antena built in it.

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!

18 of 21 (784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 1:30:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

And that setup would be the bomb!  Yes, we can do the Slingbox thing ourselves but having it built into the U-Verse system would be too cool!  Sadly, I bet that Dish has that angle locked down, in their own sandbox.

oufanindallas wrote:

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

And that setup would be the bomb!  Yes, we can do the Slingbox thing ourselves but having it built into the U-Verse system would be too cool!  Sadly, I bet that Dish has that angle locked down, in their own sandbox.

19 of 21 (741 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 11:32:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

That would be cool.  I see a Slingbox in my not too distant future since I got an Ipad for Father's Day.  Right now we Uverse subs have to be satisfied with the streaming options that are available through the Uverse app.

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

That would be cool.  I see a Slingbox in my not too distant future since I got an Ipad for Father's Day.  Right now we Uverse subs have to be satisfied with the streaming options that are available through the Uverse app.

20 of 21 (695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 12:28:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Jul 25, 2013 at 12:30:02 PM

Speaking of Slingbox type streaming, is there a video capture card and software combo that would let you hook up the output from the STB, to the computer and then stream the signal, as a Slingbox would do?  Of course, you would need an IR blaster but I was wondering if that would be cheaper than a Sling set-up.

Speaking of Slingbox type streaming, is there a video capture card and software combo that would let you hook up the output from the STB, to the computer and then stream the signal, as a Slingbox would do?  Of course, you would need an IR blaster but I was wondering if that would be cheaper than a Sling set-up.

[ Edited ]
21 of 21 (602 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments