watch tv on phone

Contributor

watch tv on phone

Message 1 of 21 (1,466 Views)
Expert

Re: watch tv on phone

OK, that looks to be a bit different than the generic iPad app I linked to above. However, it has the same restrictions as Brighthouse's system:

- No place shifting (you can only view the channels on the iPad within your own home on your own WiFi network).
- Not all channels are available to stream live, only the ones that have been "approved" by DirecTV.

In addition, this appears to require a specific receiver or group of receivers -- not all receivers have this capability.

To me, if you can't watch it outside your home via your Internet connection, it's pretty worthless. I already have TVs in my home where I want to watch TV, I don't need an iPad to watch TV in my home. I need it to work outside my home where I don't have a TV.

And if the channels are limited, what good does that do? Murphy's law dictates that the exact program you want to watch will be on one of the channels that they don't allow this on.
Message 16 of 21 (1,011 Views)
Highlighted

SomeJoe7777 wrote:
OK, that looks to be a bit different than the generic iPad app I linked to above. However, it has the same restrictions as Brighthouse's system:

- No place shifting (you can only view the channels on the iPad within your own home on your own WiFi network).
- Not all channels are available to stream live, only the ones that have been "approved" by DirecTV.

In addition, this appears to require a specific receiver or group of receivers -- not all receivers have this capability.

To me, if you can't watch it outside your home via your Internet connection, it's pretty worthless. I already have TVs in my home where I want to watch TV, I don't need an iPad to watch TV in my home. I need it to work outside my home where I don't have a TV.

And if the channels are limited, what good does that do? Murphy's law dictates that the exact program you want to watch will be on one of the channels that they don't allow this on.

Yep, the only provider that allows streaming outside of the house is Dish using the Hopper, it has a slingbox built into it.  For me, a slingbox is the best way to go and I love my slingbox and use it quite frequently while I'm at work.  I also have Hulu+, Netflix and Amazon Prime for 99% of the shows I watch. Slingbox has apps you can download for iphone/pad, android devices an Kindle Fire. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 17 of 21 (942 Views)
Guru

You can get free tv through http://www.dyle.tv/ ... all you buy is a little bitty antena. Samsung has a phone with the antena built in it.

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!
Message 18 of 21 (791 Views)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Yep, the only provider that allows streaming outside of the house is Dish using the Hopper, it has a slingbox built into it.  For me, a slingbox is the best way to go and I love my slingbox and use it quite frequently while I'm at work.  I also have Hulu+, Netflix and Amazon Prime for 99% of the shows I watch. Slingbox has apps you can download for iphone/pad, android devices an Kindle Fire. 

And that setup would be the bomb!  Yes, we can do the Slingbox thing ourselves but having it built into the U-Verse system would be too cool!  Sadly, I bet that Dish has that angle locked down, in their own sandbox.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 21 (748 Views)
Expert

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

And that setup would be the bomb!  Yes, we can do the Slingbox thing ourselves but having it built into the U-Verse system would be too cool!  Sadly, I bet that Dish has that angle locked down, in their own sandbox.

That would be cool.  I see a Slingbox in my not too distant future since I got an Ipad for Father's Day.  Right now we Uverse subs have to be satisfied with the streaming options that are available through the Uverse app.

Message 20 of 21 (702 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

Speaking of Slingbox type streaming, is there a video capture card and software combo that would let you hook up the output from the STB, to the computer and then stream the signal, as a Slingbox would do?  Of course, you would need an IR blaster but I was wondering if that would be cheaper than a Sling set-up.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 21 (609 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.