want to use u verse apps with android os?

Contributor

want to use u verse apps with android os?

I just switched from the iPhone to the new Samsung Galaxy 4s & it appears that almost none of the att uverse apps are supported in Android os. How could this be!? I was using the twonky beam, jukebox & pics flick apps. Please tell me I'm missing something & that att uverse supports android somehow? Thanks, Henry
Message 1 of 10 (981 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: want to use u verse apps with android os?

What is missing is the U-verse Connected SDK for Android.  I've heard that it's something they want to do, but they haven't gotten it done yet.  So no one can develop these apps on Android.

Been asking about it ever since the iOS SDK came out.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 10 (929 Views)
Contributor

To add insult to injury, I had a guy come by my door extolling the virtues of Uverse (which I do like) and talking about the Twonky functionality. I told him I thought it was only iOS and he said no, its all smartphones. Got my hopes up ... again...

I find it odd that in 2013 with a much higher marketshare Android isn't the first device apps are developed on.

It would be nice to hear that there's at least some development or a beta to participate in.

Message 3 of 10 (712 Views)
Contributor

Can an AT&T rep please tell us what is taking so long to very this done. I'm not going back to the iphone, shouldn't have to do so. I think putting Uverse apps in android is super easy, but at&t is still sucking up the good Ol marriage of the att & apple days. Well, those days have been over. Please give us Android functionalitySmiley Happy
Message 4 of 10 (693 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

pearshen wrote:
Can an AT&T rep please tell us what is taking so long to very this done. I'm not going back to the iphone, shouldn't have to do so. I think putting Uverse apps in android is super easy, but at&t is still sucking up the good Ol marriage of the att & apple days. Well, those days have been over. Please give us Android functionalitySmiley Happy

To directly engage AT&T, I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.  Welcome! Don't be a stranger on the forums.

I am a proud Android owner, myself.  I will say that the problem (IMO) is that Android is "too open."  They have several versions (ICS, Honeycomb and so on) and many, many devices that use Android.  Not all OS work with all devices.  A perfect example is the Showtime App and the Watch ESPN qapp.  One works on my tablet but not my phone and the other works on my phone but not my tablet.  NUTS!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 10 (642 Views)

I'd be happy to see in on Windows Phone as well.  Comcast has a multi platform xfinity app.  

Considering AT&T is in the wilress business and a massive, giant company with billions upon billinons in recources you'd think they could support all the current crop of high end smartphone devices and tablets.

Message 6 of 10 (633 Views)
Scholar

I have a Galaxy 4 phone.  I downloaded the Uverse application from the Google Play Store and I do not have any problems watching shows.  Unless you are trying to do something different I can access all of my Premium networks and some other programing.  I only watch programs from the premium networks and I do not have any problem.  Also showtime anywhere just updated their app so you can now see live streams of Showtime.  I am not a computer geek but I have not had any problems.

Message 7 of 10 (577 Views)
Contributor

Most of us here were referring to all the multiple uverse apps such as the jukebox player, picture viewer, twonky beam, guide setup & record. Those are all available via iOS, but not Android. Thanks for info on the watch espn & other, I will go try thatSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 10 (572 Views)
Scholar

Sorry I did not understand what you wanted to do.  I do not watch a lot of TV and when I do the only thing I watch are movies.  The TV programs today are horrilbe and I have yet to find one I want to watch.

Message 9 of 10 (507 Views)
ACE - Expert

pearshen wrote:
Most of us here were referring to all the multiple uverse apps such as the jukebox player, picture viewer, twonky beam, guide setup & record. Those are all available via iOS, but not Android. Thanks for info on the watch espn & other, I will go try thatSmiley Happy

There is movement in this space.  Slow, plodding movement, but apparently movement nontheless.  I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

Message 10 of 10 (463 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.