Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 25, 2013
11:16:18 PM
View profile
voIP Craziness...

Please pardon the lengthy post, I just want to make sure I've been thorough in my explanation.

My company has a voIP server located in a data center.  My office phone is on my desk at home.  Up until a month ago, I had TWC Commercial RoadRunner with static IP's.  My phone worked without problems.

I switched from TWC, signed up for U-Verse and my voIP phone hasn't worked right since.  For some strange reason, it worked for about a week, then stopped working and nothing I have tried will make it work again.

The symptom is this:  I can initiate a call, but it will only last about 15 seconds before dropping.  A WireShark packet trace shows the connection being made, but then an increasing number of errors until the call drops.

I have tried every imaginable scenario of putting the NVG589 into passthrough, default server, dhcp assigned, static assigned and I still cannot get a change in the symptom.  Opened ports, changed IP's around, nothing seems to work.

My internet in general works fine, no problems with speed or the TV (other than the DVR which seems to have some issue every other day, but I'm working through that).

Anybody run into this and have any suggestions about how to get this working again?  I'm at a point where I will have to switch to another provider if I can't get AT&T working for this purpose.

I can take my phone to friends house with Comcast and it works perfectly.  Same with a TWC connection.  I'm really hoping that AT&T is not systematically blocking my ability to use phone service over their internet connection, but I'm not sure what to think at this point.

I have heard some possibilities that it might be a NAT issue and that the NVG589 is not routing the SIP replies back through it correctly.

Thoughts anyone?

Please pardon the lengthy post, I just want to make sure I've been thorough in my explanation.

My company has a voIP server located in a data center.  My office phone is on my desk at home.  Up until a month ago, I had TWC Commercial RoadRunner with static IP's.  My phone worked without problems.

I switched from TWC, signed up for U-Verse and my voIP phone hasn't worked right since.  For some strange reason, it worked for about a week, then stopped working and nothing I have tried will make it work again.

The symptom is this:  I can initiate a call, but it will only last about 15 seconds before dropping.  A WireShark packet trace shows the connection being made, but then an increasing number of errors until the call drops.

I have tried every imaginable scenario of putting the NVG589 into passthrough, default server, dhcp assigned, static assigned and I still cannot get a change in the symptom.  Opened ports, changed IP's around, nothing seems to work.

My internet in general works fine, no problems with speed or the TV (other than the DVR which seems to have some issue every other day, but I'm working through that).

Anybody run into this and have any suggestions about how to get this working again?  I'm at a point where I will have to switch to another provider if I can't get AT&T working for this purpose.

I can take my phone to friends house with Comcast and it works perfectly.  Same with a TWC connection.  I'm really hoping that AT&T is not systematically blocking my ability to use phone service over their internet connection, but I'm not sure what to think at this point.

I have heard some possibilities that it might be a NAT issue and that the NVG589 is not routing the SIP replies back through it correctly.

Thoughts anyone?

voIP Craziness...

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 3:45:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

What type of VoIP phone system?  I have an NEC VoIP phone at my house off my business phone system and all I had to do was allow some UDP ports thru the firewall and it works perfectly.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

What type of VoIP phone system?  I have an NEC VoIP phone at my house off my business phone system and all I had to do was allow some UDP ports thru the firewall and it works perfectly.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: voIP Craziness...

2 of 7 (336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 7:19:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

It's an IPitomy IP-1200 system, using a Yealink T38G phone.  It's basically an Asterisk server with IPitomy's web front end for configuration.

The ports are open, have even tried a DMZ on both ends.  Same issue.

Tried plugging the phone directly into the NVG589 modem, and the IPitomy server in our data center into a static IP directly with no router in between, same problem.

I did get it to work partially last night by messing around with some of the NAT settings in the IPitomy.  Now this morning, set it all back to where it was, and I can't even get my phone to register today.

It's an IPitomy IP-1200 system, using a Yealink T38G phone.  It's basically an Asterisk server with IPitomy's web front end for configuration.

The ports are open, have even tried a DMZ on both ends.  Same issue.

Tried plugging the phone directly into the NVG589 modem, and the IPitomy server in our data center into a static IP directly with no router in between, same problem.

I did get it to work partially last night by messing around with some of the NAT settings in the IPitomy.  Now this morning, set it all back to where it was, and I can't even get my phone to register today.

3 of 7 (315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 10:39:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Maybe try wireshark?  Can get it here: http://www.wireshark.org/.  Take a look and see what is or isn't getting thru.

Maybe try wireshark?  Can get it here: http://www.wireshark.org/.  Take a look and see what is or isn't getting thru.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 8:57:18 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by starion on Dec 26, 2013 at 8:58:22 PM

As I mentioned in my original post, a Wireshark trace showed the call going through, then an increasing number of errors until the call drops.  Specifically, Wireshark shows these packets during the call:

9964966.677356   192.168.0.101   69.197.189.66   RTP   214PT=ITU-T G.711 PCMU, Ssrc=0x74B0DC51, Seq=23808, Time=400

And then more and more of these until the call drops:

119321016.953584   69.197.189.66   192.168.0.101   ICMP   590   Destination unreachable (Port unreachable)

I am running a NetGear router behind the NVG589 as a Passthrough, fixed DHCP, pings from WAN allowed on both devices.

I have tried creating a packet filter for ICMP on the NVG589.  No change in problem.  DMZ on NetGear router doesn't change problem either.  All NVG589 firewall options are off.  No change.

As I mentioned in my original post, a Wireshark trace showed the call going through, then an increasing number of errors until the call drops.  Specifically, Wireshark shows these packets during the call:

9964966.677356   192.168.0.101   69.197.189.66   RTP   214PT=ITU-T G.711 PCMU, Ssrc=0x74B0DC51, Seq=23808, Time=400

And then more and more of these until the call drops:

119321016.953584   69.197.189.66   192.168.0.101   ICMP   590   Destination unreachable (Port unreachable)

I am running a NetGear router behind the NVG589 as a Passthrough, fixed DHCP, pings from WAN allowed on both devices.

I have tried creating a packet filter for ICMP on the NVG589.  No change in problem.  DMZ on NetGear router doesn't change problem either.  All NVG589 firewall options are off.  No change.

[ Edited ]
5 of 7 (284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2013 8:11:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

For the last three weeks I have been fighting with this modem on AT&T's U-Verse service. We have a PBX system in a data center, and IP phones on our desks at various locations.

The symptom was this: you could initiate a call, but after 15 seconds or so, the audio would drop, then the connection.

A Wireshark packet trace revealed that periodically in the stream of data coming from the PBX server, a "critical" packet comes along (like a ping) that MUST be replied to or the PBX thinks the connection has been lost.

I thought this shouldn't be happening, as I had the NVG589 in "passthrough" mode to our NetGear router.

The "passthrough" mode would work mysteriously for a week or so, then stop working, and no amount of fiddling would make it work again.

After much research on the internet, I discovered that MANY people have been have this issue. It turns out that the NVG589 does NOT do a TRUE BRIDGE MODE, or at the very least it doesn't work reliably.

The solution for me, was to set our NetGear router on a fixed IP address within the NVG589's LAN range, then set up two rules pointing to that fixed IP in the hosted applications under "NAT/Gaming".

Ports 1-7546 TCP/UDP, and ports 7548-65535 TCP/UDP. You must intentionally leave out port 7547 if you have TV as the STB needs this available for streaming TV.

This has the same effect as what a "passthrough" is supposed to do.

Anyway, phone is working flawlessly now, TV works, and internet is actually just a bit more peppy.

For the last three weeks I have been fighting with this modem on AT&T's U-Verse service. We have a PBX system in a data center, and IP phones on our desks at various locations.

The symptom was this: you could initiate a call, but after 15 seconds or so, the audio would drop, then the connection.

A Wireshark packet trace revealed that periodically in the stream of data coming from the PBX server, a "critical" packet comes along (like a ping) that MUST be replied to or the PBX thinks the connection has been lost.

I thought this shouldn't be happening, as I had the NVG589 in "passthrough" mode to our NetGear router.

The "passthrough" mode would work mysteriously for a week or so, then stop working, and no amount of fiddling would make it work again.

After much research on the internet, I discovered that MANY people have been have this issue. It turns out that the NVG589 does NOT do a TRUE BRIDGE MODE, or at the very least it doesn't work reliably.

The solution for me, was to set our NetGear router on a fixed IP address within the NVG589's LAN range, then set up two rules pointing to that fixed IP in the hosted applications under "NAT/Gaming".

Ports 1-7546 TCP/UDP, and ports 7548-65535 TCP/UDP. You must intentionally leave out port 7547 if you have TV as the STB needs this available for streaming TV.

This has the same effect as what a "passthrough" is supposed to do.

Anyway, phone is working flawlessly now, TV works, and internet is actually just a bit more peppy.

Re: voIP Craziness...[Solved] [Sort of]

6 of 7 (257 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2013 5:08:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

Okay, hold the phone.

Just for testing, thought I'd turn OFF the aforementioned filters I created, and reboot the modem, just to see if my VoIP phone would continue to work.

My VoIP phone continues to work, with NO filters on.  So now I'm completely confused.

I'm starting to think the answer to all of this is:  The NVG589 is junk.

Maybe by turning ON port forwarding, it activated something in NAT that SHOULD have been working to begin with, and turning off port forwarding now has no effect.

Okay, hold the phone.

Just for testing, thought I'd turn OFF the aforementioned filters I created, and reboot the modem, just to see if my VoIP phone would continue to work.

My VoIP phone continues to work, with NO filters on.  So now I'm completely confused.

I'm starting to think the answer to all of this is:  The NVG589 is junk.

Maybe by turning ON port forwarding, it activated something in NAT that SHOULD have been working to begin with, and turning off port forwarding now has no effect.

Re: voIP Craziness...[Solved] [Sort of]

7 of 7 (235 Views)