uverse and fax machines

Contributor

uverse and fax machines

I have spent the last 4 days trying to use a fax machine with my uverse system.  I have spent countless hours trying to find

answers and I am now at my wits end hoping someone can help.  No one can believe how many different answers I have

received from  uverse, att and hp and computer stores. I have read about putting a filter on, changing speed of fax and countless other so called fixes. Does anyone know why fax machines do not work or is there one machine that does work.

I really dont understand why Uverse can not give me a answer.

I was told my printer hp 2210 was to old so I went out and purchased a hp 8600 pro all in one basic. I  My husband and I spent a total today of 2 hours taking time to hook this up to find out it will not work.  This is not only my problem as I have read countless others having same issues.  Why doesnt Uverse or att have a answer what is going

on with this problem  I am ready to have unverse removed as I can not spend any more time trying to fix this problem.

My fax always worked before uverse.

ANYONE CAN YOU HELP????

Message 1 of 28 (26,070 Views)
Contributor

Re: uverse and fax machines

I had an issue getting my HP8600 fax machine to work with Uverse.  WHen I plugged a phone into the phone jack on the back of the gateway, the phone worked fine and the green light (Line 1 on the gateway) was consistently on.  HOwever, when I unplugged the phone and plugged in the fax, the green light for Line 1 on the gateway blinked and the fax wouldnt work.

THe solution that seems to be working for me, fingers crossed, was to plug a splitter (the kind that splits a line into line 1 and line 2) into the phone jack on the back of the gateway, with the fax plugged into Line 1 jack of the splitter.  

Message 16 of 28 (16,669 Views)
ACE - Expert

furmabr - This is quite a mystery. It does not seem to have a detailed explanation on the web.

The standard RJ-11 jack has line 1 on the two inner prongs and line 2 on the two outer prongs. Any standard single line device on the line side or the station side uses the two inner prongs. Only two line devices also connect to the two outer prongs.

But, some fax machines have a special cable. They say that you can only use that cable. But, some people have trouble with a special cable & only a standard cable works. I read that a special cable has only two prongs. But, they must be center prongs to work with a standard RJ-11. There should be no difference between a jack with only two center prongs and one that also has two (unused) outer prongs.

In your case, I can see your two line adapter working if it was on the line 2 jack. Because the outer prongs (on the single jack side) move to the inner prongs ( on the two jack side) to connect with a single line device. But, Line 1 jack should be the same as the combined jack.

Hope you can follow all that. Are you at all interested in doing continuity test to see where all the prongs end up??

If you have the special cable that came with the printer, you should try it. If the special cable does not work, you should try a regular cable.

Hope someone can provide details of what the problem is.

THe only explanation I can dream up is the FAx has a blocking circuit connecting the two outer prongs. If they are there it blocks use.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 28 (16,652 Views)
Contributor

I have the same printer and had the same issue. I also have a expandable digital phone system with the base station on the same desk as my printer/fax.

Originally I had a line running from a wall phone jack into my new modem, and a line running out of my new modem to my phone base station. Internet worked and all phones worked but no fax machine.

(1) I disconnected the phone line going into the base station and installed a 2-way splitter (can be purchased at Radio Shack, Walmart etc)  

(2) I connected my base telephone station to one side of the splitter, and ran a phone line from the other side to my fax machine (do not plug yet)

(3) I installed a filter that comes with the Uverse modem to line 1 on the fax machine, and then the phone line to the this filter...

I now have Internet, my phone system, and a fax machine that all work

Plug the filter into line one, then the phone line from the splitter to the filter..

Message 18 of 28 (14,430 Views)
Contributor

U-verse and fax machine headaches

I have spent the better part of 2 days fighting with my HP Officejet Pro 8500A.  The display on the darn thing decided to go blank (like dead) even though the power button light was on.  Finally found thru a Google search that disconnecting the power cord from the back of the machine and the other end from the AC Power Adapter for about 30 seconds & reconnecting it was the charm!! 

I've had ATT U-verse for 2 years with no problem faxing. After reassembling connections to my printer I found the HP-provided telephone cord and (yes, you guessed it) plugged it in. Then the emotional roller coaster ride began. Could not figure out how this 8500A and my HP Photosmart C309 could work for years and suddenly, not!! Spoke with a very nice U-verse tech who could not provide any insight. He finally, admitted that they are not equipped to address printer issues. Advised changing baud speed and maybe the Error Correction Mode (which did not work) and, if all else fails, to contact HP support. Yeah, like that's going to happen - neither are still under warranty there is no way I'm going to "mortgage the farm" to pay for that drawn out phone call. I am so grateful that your post is on this site, 2 years later.  A cheap, generic phone cord solved my problem. Thanks for sharing your experience.  FYI,  you got a great big KUDO from me. 

Message 19 of 28 (12,374 Views)
Contributor

SOLUTION ! FINALLY!  Thanks to the forum, I tried the solution of putting a splitter on the Line1 on the back of the Uverse box to my HP All in one fax (6700 series)  and it worked ! yay.

Now if I can just get the other phone jacks in my house to work.  They do nothing. since plugging in the box.

Message 20 of 28 (11,516 Views)
ACE - Expert

jujucharm4u - You are half way there - You found the dial tone in the RG. If you want the dial tone on the wall jacks connect the RG dial tone back to a wall jack. If your wiring is in-place it will distribute to the rest of the house. You should se if you can find where the house wiring connects to the NID. it should be disconnected because it is no longer needed & you do not want any problems with it.

You can use the splitter to add a phone at that location or the fax. Doesn't the fax have two jacks & a built in splitter? Connect the line to the first one & the phone to the second one.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 28 (11,509 Views)
Contributor

I have a brand new hp6700. I have had uverse for about 2 months and have been able to fax fine, until yesterday when the phones went dead. The online troubleshooting tool said my modem was out. The the tech online said it sounded like an inside wiring problem. As long as a phone was plugged directly into the modem it would work. When the tech came out today he put a 1line-2 line splitter directly into the modem and the phone works but when you plug the fax into the other spot the phones go dead. He left saying he would be back in a couple of hours with a Y-splitter someone told him to try, but he never showed up. Any ideas?

Message 22 of 28 (11,293 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

madhouse - Always test U-verse voice with the phone directly connected to the modem (RG). If it is connected to the house wiring & the tester cannot see the phone it cannot tell of it is the modem or the house wiring rhat is not working.

The first thing is -  it was working & stopped. So, it went open & stopped working & it still works when directly connected to the RG. Sounds like a wiring problem.

Sounds like you have the fax and the phone on the same line (tel number). Therefore, connect the RG to the FAX & plug the phone into the second jack on the FAX & both should work.

The RG caan have two tel lines on its one jack. Line one is on the inner prongs & line two on the outer prongs.
A one to two line splitter separates the  center prongs on two seperate jacks. Each appears as a single line. Use this whrn you have the second line number for the FAX. This is why it does not work for you. There is nothing on the outer prongs.

For your case - use the Y on one line, two set coupler that Ys the center prongs two two seperate jacks. You can get one anywhere that sells tel products. Just be sure to get the right one.

After you get that working you need to go back and find where the house wiring went open.

Usually the first line is on red/green (inner prongs) and the second line is on yellow/black outer prongs. It is alwayys good to connect all four, so that the house wiring supports two lines in a standard manner.

Message 23 of 28 (11,277 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for the recommendation about putting the filter onto Line 1 of the HP all-in-one printer.  I have an older C7280 with Uverse internet and phone.  After splitting line 1 on the gateway router and adding the filter to line 1 of the printer, everything works now. 

Thanks a million!!!

Message 24 of 28 (9,036 Views)
Contributor

I upgraded to a Uverse modem a month ago and have been un...

I upgraded to a Uverse modem a month ago and have been unable to print since. Prior to the Uverse I could print from the desktop the dsl modem was connected to and all the laptops. I got the same lame "help" from so-called customer service. Would the installation of a telephone cord as mentioned above make any difference? I can't see how it would affect just printing, but I am willing to try anything at this point. I have an HP G55 all in one.
Message 25 of 28 (8,887 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: I upgraded to a Uverse modem a month ago and have been un...

[ Edited ]

Most likely your PC has captured the IP address that your HP printer was assigned by your DSL modem and continues to try to send print jobs using that IP address.  However, your U-verse modem likely assigned it a different address.

You could either:

• Use the RG's or Printer's menus to find out what its new IP address is and reconfigure the Printer Port in Windows for it, or
  • You could deinstall the printer from your PC and reinstall it, letting it refind the printer at its new IP address.

Message 26 of 28 (8,870 Views)
Contributor

Hello, I had the same problem as most who posted on here.  For years I had my HP FAX/PRINTER/COPIER connected to the telephone jack with an ordinary phone cable.  Well I got a new Uverse internet connection and discovered that I could no longer send faxes.  After seeing the posts on here about using the cable that came with the FAX machine I decided to try it.

I connected the cable that came with my HP FAX directly to the wall phone jack, which is now feed by my uverse modem.  And it worked!  Not sure why but if you have an HP FAX machine printer, etc. I think the wiring might be specially mached for use with Voice over IP connections.  It does not seem to matter with the older analog phone line.

Message 27 of 28 (5,870 Views)
ACE - Expert

@LennyJR- Thanks for posting your experience. It is a big mystery why some machines only work with the cable provided & some only work with a regular cable.

We know a regular cable keeps the same order of wires from end to end & contains four wires intended to support up to two lines.

Your post triggered me to remember that I bought an HP printer & have a tel cable that came with it. Examing that cable shows two differences from the regular cable -

It has only one pair - red/green - in the center prongs.

The ends are reversed - red/green changes to green/red.

Niether of these should make a difference in whether or not the FAX works on any given tel line. But, posts say it does.

Not that one always works & the other does not. But, that sometimes one works & the other does not. & it is not always the same one.

Still a mystery.

Message 28 of 28 (5,729 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.