uverse and fax machines

Contributor

uverse and fax machines

I have spent the last 4 days trying to use a fax machine with my uverse system.  I have spent countless hours trying to find

answers and I am now at my wits end hoping someone can help.  No one can believe how many different answers I have

received from  uverse, att and hp and computer stores. I have read about putting a filter on, changing speed of fax and countless other so called fixes. Does anyone know why fax machines do not work or is there one machine that does work.

I really dont understand why Uverse can not give me a answer.

I was told my printer hp 2210 was to old so I went out and purchased a hp 8600 pro all in one basic. I  My husband and I spent a total today of 2 hours taking time to hook this up to find out it will not work.  This is not only my problem as I have read countless others having same issues.  Why doesnt Uverse or att have a answer what is going

on with this problem  I am ready to have unverse removed as I can not spend any more time trying to fix this problem.

My fax always worked before uverse.

ANYONE CAN YOU HELP????

Message 1 of 28 (26,126 Views)
Guru

Re: uverse and fax machines

[ Edited ]

Dug around by using GOOGLE for your all-in-one, and this link is from HP itself, on how to set up faxing with VOIP -- which is Uverse Voice. Ironically, in your manual, they address pretty much everything EXCEPT how to setup with VOIP.

This info is the same for just about all VOIP providers. And AS HP SAYS on its own site:

NOTE: HP fax products are designed to work with ordinary analog phone services. HP cannot guarantee that the HP fax product will work with a VoIP service. VoIP services are often not compatible with fax machines unless the provider explicitly states they support fax over IP services.

... so it isn't the fault of AT&T or any other VOIP phone provider.

Message 2 of 28 (26,084 Views)
Contributor

Tech Support told me that AT&T U-verse does not support Fax. This is not at all accurate! After speaking to a manager I discovered that what we needed to do was plug the phone line into a landline to establish the existence of a dial tone. Then we unplugged it from the phone and put it directly into the Fax. We got a dial tone, the Fax Test passed, and the Fax was sent successfully!
Message 3 of 28 (26,048 Views)
ACE - Expert

"Officially Support" and "allow it to work any many, if not most, situations" are very two different things.

I'm glad it works for you, though.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 28 (26,009 Views)

Ok, today May 31, 2012 I called HP tech support in regards to my HP Officejet Pro 8500 series All-in-One.

Yesterday I had att uverse installed for my phone, internet, and TV.

Just like you my fax in the all-in-one stopped working, because the uverse is a digital line for the phone and the fax line is analog.

The directions that came with the all-in-one are very specific about using only the phone line cord that comes with the all-in-one.

HP tech had me try a diiferent phone line cord, and bada bing my fax is working again YIPPEE, no filters or converters needed.

Hope changing the phone line cord will be a quick fix for you as well. 

Good luckSmiley Wink

Message 5 of 28 (25,526 Views)
Expert

@gotitwithouthelp--thanks for posting what worked for you to help others. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 28 (25,512 Views)
Expert

Thanks for posting. 

Message 7 of 28 (25,510 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

Depending on the brand most of the time lowering the baud rate will work for voip and as always make sure your cables and connections are good.

Most default to 9600 setting them at 4800 usually does the trick.

Message 8 of 28 (25,498 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: uverse and fax machines - 2 wire pin SOLVED my "Phone off hook" error!!

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the tip. I also found the same tip under the HP 5600 fax all in one FAQs under "Phone off Hook" descriptions. Thats the error I was recieving.Robot Mad Anyway, I swapped phone lines with a house phone as I originally had a 4 wire line. Once connected with a 2 wire line the error message "phone off hook" went away and I was able to send a fax. Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 28 (21,716 Views)
Contributor

So what do you do when you don't have a landline available because all your phones were converted to U-verse?

Message 10 of 28 (17,911 Views)
ACE - Expert

Eagleone16 - What is your situation?? If you cannot get the FAX to work with U-verse voice, you can change the phone service back to POTS.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 28 (17,907 Views)
Contributor

Trying to help a friend that just got converted to U-Verse. He was informed that his fax machine would work fine after the conversion BUT it didn't.  Saw the note about plugging into a landline for dial tone then going to the U-Verse line.  That prompted the question.  I agree about going back to POTS but it is a pain and a lot more money.

Message 12 of 28 (17,906 Views)
ACE - Expert

Eagleone16 - FAX machines are a mystery. If you have dial tone on the RG they should work. You test it this way to rule out any house wiring problems.

I was trying to understand the deal with the special cord & Googled for it. It just makes no sense. The HP cord has only the center conductors. There is no reason for them to even know about the outer conductors, but they can stop it from working. Some people covered them with tape & made it work.

The best recommend (that could impact VOIP) was for lowering the rate from 9600 to 4800.

Some people reported it did not work when a phone was plugged in to the phone jack on the FAX machine. Odd, because that is the purpose of the extra phone jack.
Message 13 of 28 (17,897 Views)
Contributor

aviewer I agree with you. He even swapped out the phone cord and is hearing a real low dial tone.  It doesn't make sense.  He is using an HP Laserjet 3330.  Looking at all the manuals, I see nothing that would stop it.  I t would be good to move this to another location to see if the unit is still working correctly.  That will be the next step.  Who knows, with all the weather we have had it could have been damaged around the same time the U-Verse was installed.  Have a nice weekend!

Message 14 of 28 (17,891 Views)
ACE - Expert

Eagleone16 -That is a good idea to check the FAX with another phone line. The "low" dial tone is a concern. Does the tel port on the RG work with a regular tel set??

Also, you said originally - "all phones were converted" does this mean there are more than one involved?? Some modems have two tel jacks and some have one - with the first line on the center pair and the second on the outer pair. If you have a single jack the two lines could be getting crossed. If you are using the special single phone HP connecting cord, the FAX machine will not be connected to the second line. Even with a two phone line the FAX will not see the second line. THe second line needs to enter the fax on the center pair, as if it were the first line.

Finally, the BellSouth special ring feature is not involved?? That is not supported in U-verse.
Message 15 of 28 (17,885 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.