Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 17, 2014
10:04:02 AM
switching from Xfinity. Basic questions

I currently have Xfinity and personally am very happy with it. However the wife is not so... Does U-Verse use standard coax cable that is run throughout our house or does it use phone jacks like I bleieve it used to...which is not run through our new built house. 

I currently have Xfinity and personally am very happy with it. However the wife is not so... Does U-Verse use standard coax cable that is run throughout our house or does it use phone jacks like I bleieve it used to...which is not run through our new built house. 

switching from Xfinity. Basic questions

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 11:39:23 AM
(0)
Employee

It can be installed over coax

It can be installed over coax

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: switching from Xfinity. Basic questions

2 of 4 (387 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 1:58:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

brianstoiber wrote:

There are at least three ways to connect U-Verse TV. 

1. Coax
  2. Cat 5
  3. Wiireless Set Top Boxes

I have never seen an install done with the phone jacks but have heard of it.  I have Coax (original Comcast runs through the house but the original installer had to replace most of them) on two TV's and Cat 5 on one box as that TV is right next to the Residential Gateway (RG).  

One note - with Coax.  The coax has to be in superb shape and all connectors must be tight!  Good luck.  I came from Comcast in 2008.  The service is about 90% perfect, which is the same as my experience with Comcast.

brianstoiber wrote:

There are at least three ways to connect U-Verse TV. 

1. Coax
  2. Cat 5
  3. Wiireless Set Top Boxes

I have never seen an install done with the phone jacks but have heard of it.  I have Coax (original Comcast runs through the house but the original installer had to replace most of them) on two TV's and Cat 5 on one box as that TV is right next to the Residential Gateway (RG).  

One note - with Coax.  The coax has to be in superb shape and all connectors must be tight!  Good luck.  I came from Comcast in 2008.  The service is about 90% perfect, which is the same as my experience with Comcast.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 4 (352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2014 7:42:09 AM
(0)
Scholar

Just adding to this convo, nothing wrong with what's already been said.

If Comcast/Xfinity installed the coax cable *themselves* anytime within the last 10 years, or ran all of it when you had installation, you'll be just fine.  If you have any variety of their "Digital Tiers" (meaning you use one of their DVRs or have digital set-top boxes) and have no problems with anything, you're good to go also.

Everyone's installation is different, and the AT&T installer (an actual AT&T employee rather than the contractors that Comcast uses) has probably seen almost any type out there.  They will scope out your situation and advise you accordingly.  Of course, they *may* suggest running Cat5 (Ethernet) for the "best" experience, but if your coax was either run by Comcast or if you put in RG-6 (not the cheapo stuff you can get at the dollar store), everything will work fine.

The Uverse experience for me was a night and day difference from Comcast -- for the *better*.  Not going back anytime soon.

Feel free to ask any other questions, the posters (who are actual customers) here can help you out!

Just adding to this convo, nothing wrong with what's already been said.

If Comcast/Xfinity installed the coax cable *themselves* anytime within the last 10 years, or ran all of it when you had installation, you'll be just fine.  If you have any variety of their "Digital Tiers" (meaning you use one of their DVRs or have digital set-top boxes) and have no problems with anything, you're good to go also.

Everyone's installation is different, and the AT&T installer (an actual AT&T employee rather than the contractors that Comcast uses) has probably seen almost any type out there.  They will scope out your situation and advise you accordingly.  Of course, they *may* suggest running Cat5 (Ethernet) for the "best" experience, but if your coax was either run by Comcast or if you put in RG-6 (not the cheapo stuff you can get at the dollar store), everything will work fine.

The Uverse experience for me was a night and day difference from Comcast -- for the *better*.  Not going back anytime soon.

Feel free to ask any other questions, the posters (who are actual customers) here can help you out!

4 of 4 (313 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments