standard Gateway for U-verse High Speed Internet Elite

standard Gateway for U-verse High Speed Internet Elite

I have U-verse High Speed Internet Elite and U-verse TV U200. My Residential Gateway is a 2WIRE 3801 HGV that supports only 802.11b/g and has a Maxumum Communication rate of 54Mbps. I got this equipment only about 18 months ago when I switched to AT&T. Shouldn't AT&T have given me a Residential Gateway that supports dual-band Wireless-N that uses 5 GHz spectrum and doesn't get interference from microwave ovens?

Message 1 of 4
Employee

Re: standard Gateway for U-verse High Speed Internet Elite

Uverse provides a gateway based on distance, for IPTV installs there are 4 available.

The original 3800 since 2006 is b/g and primary handles distances up to 2200, can go further with very good lines and decent SN margins (above 15).

Later came the 3801 designed for longer loops or shorter loops with weak SN margins, this is also b/g.

In late 2010 to increase the number of customers available, the inid with indoor unit i38RG (b/g). The inid was the first bonded install, and allowed most customers from 3000 to 6000 feet to have service, and the 25M profile allowing faster internet (max 18) and 3HD channels compared to the 19M profile in use that only allowed max 12M internet and 2HD inputs for IPTV.

Finally late summer this year (2013) the 589 RG was released allowing for new bonded pair installs to accommodate the 55M profile for those ordering the 45M (POWER) tier internet. The 589 is the only RG for IPTV that has b/g/n wireless.
If your on a bonded inid install i38hg could request swap to 589,or order the POWER internet would receive the 589, otherwise all single pair (200 feet to 3000 feet) installs ordering 3M, 6M, 12M, 18M or 24M internet would receive either the 3800 or 3801.

As your internet connection is ELITE, (6M) the 54M max connection rate is only for your internal network, your speeds out are still limited by what you are willing to pay for.
IF main concern is your home network you may purchase your own N router and place behind the 3801 as others have been doing.
IF your main concern is internet speed would highly recommend spending $5 more per month for the MAX (12M) internet package,not only would this double your download speed but increase your upload by 50%, without requiring a technician visit or replacement of any equipment.

For microwave interference try changing channel, here is an article http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3116531

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4

Thanks for the help. I found out that my 3801 Gateway has Wireless Channel Selection set to Auto, and it has currently selected Channel 4. I only occasionally turn off my Gateway at night in the hopes of getting a differnet IP Address on the U-verse network. Can I assume that on restart, the Auto Channel Selection will again select Channel 4?  Channel 4 is within the range of Channels 1 through 6 that is least impacted by microwave ovens as mentioned in that report you tagged. If I want a safe Radio Channel, should I change Channel Selection from AUTO to MANUAL and pick Channel 4 in my Gateway? 

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Guru

Clement6316 wrote:

Thanks for the help. I found out that my 3801 Gateway has Wireless Channel Selection set to Auto, and it has currently selected Channel 4. I only occasionally turn off my Gateway at night in the hopes of getting a differnet IP Address on the U-verse network. Can I assume that on restart, the Auto Channel Selection will again select Channel 4?  Channel 4 is within the range of Channels 1 through 6 that is least impacted by microwave ovens as mentioned in that report you tagged. If I want a safe Radio Channel, should I change Channel Selection from AUTO to MANUAL and pick Channel 4 in my Gateway? 

That will never happen.

Take a look at this for help on interference and what and how to change the channel on the RG.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support