Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Sep 23, 2013
12:43:16 AM
View profile
slow internet speed when UVerse TV box is on

I have the highest UVerse internet package available and normally see around 17 Mbps DL and 1.4 Mbps UL whe. The TV is off. As soon as the UVerse TV box is turned on this speed drops down to around 4 Mbps DL and in the 3 digit Kbps range for UL. At the same time my modems/routers light up as a Christmas tree when the TV box is on making pretty much any port light/blink like crazy, whereas when the TV box is off everything looks normal with few blinks. 

I don't find this acceptable as that far from what I had expected in regards to speed when I purchased UVerse. Any ideas as what I can/should do?

I have the highest UVerse internet package available and normally see around 17 Mbps DL and 1.4 Mbps UL whe. The TV is off. As soon as the UVerse TV box is turned on this speed drops down to around 4 Mbps DL and in the 3 digit Kbps range for UL. At the same time my modems/routers light up as a Christmas tree when the TV box is on making pretty much any port light/blink like crazy, whereas when the TV box is off everything looks normal with few blinks. 

I don't find this acceptable as that far from what I had expected in regards to speed when I purchased UVerse. Any ideas as what I can/should do?

slow internet speed when UVerse TV box is on

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 5:33:52 AM
(0)
Employee
Uverse box directly connected to uverse RG?
Sounds as if your on Ethernet connection to a switch with tv and interne sharing....this is a no no
Multicast IPTV traffic will kill internet speeds.
The uverse set top boxes need to be separate from internet connection.
Either install tv(s) on separate switch to RG, or direct connect to uverse RG.
Uverse box directly connected to uverse RG?
Sounds as if your on Ethernet connection to a switch with tv and interne sharing....this is a no no
Multicast IPTV traffic will kill internet speeds.
The uverse set top boxes need to be separate from internet connection.
Either install tv(s) on separate switch to RG, or direct connect to uverse RG.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: slow internet speed when UVerse TV box is on

2 of 16 (12,475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 2:19:12 PM
(0)
Tutor
Yes this is exactly the way it is connected and how it was setup by the AT&T UVerse tech who came and installed it. Guess I'll give them a call to come have it fixed.

Lars Buhl Aanestad
RF Project Manager, LTE & WCDMA
Ericsson Inc.
Yes this is exactly the way it is connected and how it was setup by the AT&T UVerse tech who came and installed it. Guess I'll give them a call to come have it fixed.

Lars Buhl Aanestad
RF Project Manager, LTE & WCDMA
Ericsson Inc.

3 of 16 (12,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 9:55:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

So just a quick question, how do I separate the multicast IPTV stream out from the rest of the Internet traffic? Interestingly enough it only seems to kill my ATT WiFi router And any device connected to it on WiFi, any connection on Ethernet cable doesn't seem to suffer.

So just a quick question, how do I separate the multicast IPTV stream out from the rest of the Internet traffic? Interestingly enough it only seems to kill my ATT WiFi router And any device connected to it on WiFi, any connection on Ethernet cable doesn't seem to suffer.

4 of 16 (12,430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2013 6:09:14 AM
(0)
Expert
The U-Verse RG is the only device that can separate the traffic. Basically, what you should do is that one or more ports on the RG should be dedicated to IPTV traffic, and then a different port or ports should be dedicated to Internet traffic. In other words, plug STB/DVR units directly into the RG on their own port, and plug all computers/switches/etc. devices into other ports. Don't mix set-top boxes and computers on any single port of the RG.

The U-Verse RG is the only device that can separate the traffic. Basically, what you should do is that one or more ports on the RG should be dedicated to IPTV traffic, and then a different port or ports should be dedicated to Internet traffic. In other words, plug STB/DVR units directly into the RG on their own port, and plug all computers/switches/etc. devices into other ports. Don't mix set-top boxes and computers on any single port of the RG.

5 of 16 (12,417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2013 11:10:12 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thank you,
And just so it's clear, which one is the UVerse RG device (the WiFi router or another one) and what does the RG stand for?

I really do appreciate your help and support on this, you are awesome! You have brought me much closer to a solution than my encounter with UVerse tech support did the other day when I was on the phone with them for 1.5 hours.
Thank you,
And just so it's clear, which one is the UVerse RG device (the WiFi router or another one) and what does the RG stand for?

I really do appreciate your help and support on this, you are awesome! You have brought me much closer to a solution than my encounter with UVerse tech support did the other day when I was on the phone with them for 1.5 hours.

6 of 16 (12,400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2013 12:46:02 PM
(0)
Expert
The RG is the Residential Gateway, usually a 2Wire or Pace branded device. This is the main router / firewall / switch / wireless access point for the U-Verse system.
The RG is the Residential Gateway, usually a 2Wire or Pace branded device. This is the main router / firewall / switch / wireless access point for the U-Verse system.

7 of 16 (12,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2013 7:39:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

SameJoe7777, separating tvs and internet connections did not work for me. I have 12 meg down package, due to the fact that I am far from the main ATT node I can't get more than that.  I connected one tv to one RG port and another to another RG port third one is my desktop pc and fourth one a separate wifi router. If I watch one channel the connection drops to about 7, watch one + record one, connection drops to 2-3mbps, no matter if I do a speedtest on a wired device or wireless.

I was getting creative and tried many connection configurations, in all of them internet would slow down by 5-6 meg for every recording channel.

Can you explain to me technically how can the RG handle multiple TV streams and not imact the internet bandwidth if the bottleneck is the 12 meg line coming to the house. I don't get it but my neighbors are saying when their TV is turned on it doesnt drop their Inet connection at all (didnt see how they are wired though).

Thank you

SameJoe7777, separating tvs and internet connections did not work for me. I have 12 meg down package, due to the fact that I am far from the main ATT node I can't get more than that.  I connected one tv to one RG port and another to another RG port third one is my desktop pc and fourth one a separate wifi router. If I watch one channel the connection drops to about 7, watch one + record one, connection drops to 2-3mbps, no matter if I do a speedtest on a wired device or wireless.

I was getting creative and tried many connection configurations, in all of them internet would slow down by 5-6 meg for every recording channel.

Can you explain to me technically how can the RG handle multiple TV streams and not imact the internet bandwidth if the bottleneck is the 12 meg line coming to the house. I don't get it but my neighbors are saying when their TV is turned on it doesnt drop their Inet connection at all (didnt see how they are wired though).

Thank you

8 of 16 (11,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2013 8:28:42 PM
(0)
Expert
The topic being discussed in this thread is separation of computer and IPTV traffic so that multicast IPTV traffic does not appear at the Ethernet interface of computer-related equipment like wireless access points. The multicast IPTV traffic will overwhelm them and prevent them from working at all.

You're speaking of a different topic, which is a reduction in available Internet bandwidth due to IPTV. The amount of reduction depends on your purchased Internet package, the line profile rate, and the number of TV channels/streams in use.

To see what you should be getting and compare it to what you are getting, please download UV Realtime from www.uvrealtime.com and post screenshots of the Bitloading, IP/Profile, and Error tabs. There may be a problem with your installation that may be evident from the screenshots.
The topic being discussed in this thread is separation of computer and IPTV traffic so that multicast IPTV traffic does not appear at the Ethernet interface of computer-related equipment like wireless access points. The multicast IPTV traffic will overwhelm them and prevent them from working at all.

You're speaking of a different topic, which is a reduction in available Internet bandwidth due to IPTV. The amount of reduction depends on your purchased Internet package, the line profile rate, and the number of TV channels/streams in use.

To see what you should be getting and compare it to what you are getting, please download UV Realtime from www.uvrealtime.com and post screenshots of the Bitloading, IP/Profile, and Error tabs. There may be a problem with your installation that may be evident from the screenshots.

9 of 16 (11,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2013 8:48:30 PM
(0)
Employee
Meyan9, if the best internet speed available is 12M, your on a 19M profile.
Bandwidth is shared, HD streams take about 6 M, SD takes 2M from 19M what is left at about 90% is internet speed.
So watch and/or record(2) HD channels is 19-6-6=7 at 90% = 6.3 hardwired internet speeds, wireless will be less.
This is with bandwidth profile plus 20%, around 24, 25M max at minimum. Your max bandwidth is 21 will likely see what your experiencing.

Recommend download uvrealtime and post screen shots.
Meyan9, if the best internet speed available is 12M, your on a 19M profile.
Bandwidth is shared, HD streams take about 6 M, SD takes 2M from 19M what is left at about 90% is internet speed.
So watch and/or record(2) HD channels is 19-6-6=7 at 90% = 6.3 hardwired internet speeds, wireless will be less.
This is with bandwidth profile plus 20%, around 24, 25M max at minimum. Your max bandwidth is 21 will likely see what your experiencing.

Recommend download uvrealtime and post screen shots.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

10 of 16 (11,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2014 5:52:25 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by USERTEN on Apr 29, 2014 at 6:00:48 PM

Well, sorry to say but: Internet bandwidth and TV bandwidth are completely seperated, there is something else going on where you are, but I can garantee that watching TV will never interfere with your internet - they are not connected to eachother and do not interfere with each other.

You might want to try using Google public DNS (IPv6, not IPv4). Google public IPv6 DNS is NOTICEBALY faster than AT7T's own configuration - dont use it. You will NOT be violating ANY ATT rules whatsoever by changing your DNS. Also, Google's Public IPv6 DNS IPs are statically assigned, currently; it's yours for the duration (well there is a realistic lease expiration of 5 years!). 

Recording a show, btw, takes up no more and mno less TV bandwidth - exactly the same. Your RG is doing the recording - LOCALLY. This isnt in the cloud. Yet. That comes later.

Well, sorry to say but: Internet bandwidth and TV bandwidth are completely seperated, there is something else going on where you are, but I can garantee that watching TV will never interfere with your internet - they are not connected to eachother and do not interfere with each other.

You might want to try using Google public DNS (IPv6, not IPv4). Google public IPv6 DNS is NOTICEBALY faster than AT7T's own configuration - dont use it. You will NOT be violating ANY ATT rules whatsoever by changing your DNS. Also, Google's Public IPv6 DNS IPs are statically assigned, currently; it's yours for the duration (well there is a realistic lease expiration of 5 years!). 

Recording a show, btw, takes up no more and mno less TV bandwidth - exactly the same. Your RG is doing the recording - LOCALLY. This isnt in the cloud. Yet. That comes later.

[ Edited ]
11 of 16 (9,336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2014 11:11:51 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Taylarie on Apr 30, 2014 at 5:19:56 AM

I disagree, my UVerse TV is fed over the same VDSL(2) connection as my Internet and my line profile is capped at 25 Mbps, so for each HD channel I watch, which takes about 8 Mbps per stream it will definitely affect my Internet speed.
However in this case, the issue was actually in the fact that UVerse uses multicast for their STB's, which, when on, bombards the network with packages and essentially flooding the network. So one would think that you could use a switch/router with an IGMP Snooping functionality.....however this does not work, my guess is that they use some sort of proprietary stream which the IGMP Snooping is not capable of catching. So what I did to resolve the issue was to hook up a little 6 port netgear smart switch where I disabled multicast on one port and then hooked that to my main switch. This way I separated the STB multicast stream from the rest of my network, which was what was "killing" me. Another option would be to separate the networks devices using separate VLAN's.

Lars

[Edited for privacy.]

I disagree, my UVerse TV is fed over the same VDSL(2) connection as my Internet and my line profile is capped at 25 Mbps, so for each HD channel I watch, which takes about 8 Mbps per stream it will definitely affect my Internet speed.
However in this case, the issue was actually in the fact that UVerse uses multicast for their STB's, which, when on, bombards the network with packages and essentially flooding the network. So one would think that you could use a switch/router with an IGMP Snooping functionality.....however this does not work, my guess is that they use some sort of proprietary stream which the IGMP Snooping is not capable of catching. So what I did to resolve the issue was to hook up a little 6 port netgear smart switch where I disabled multicast on one port and then hooked that to my main switch. This way I separated the STB multicast stream from the rest of my network, which was what was "killing" me. Another option would be to separate the networks devices using separate VLAN's.

Lars

[Edited for privacy.]

[ Edited ]
12 of 16 (9,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2014 4:36:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had this same issue, AT&T was completely useless in resolving, but the issue is that AT&T wireless receivers completely destroys the bandwidth allowed on the wireless LAN interface. I resolved the issue by installing a new wireless router.

The configuration needed is as follows on the new router, WAN interface (Internet), you will need it to receive a DHCP address from the AT&T router.

The LAN Interface needs to be setup for any internal routed IP (I chose 192.168.2.0/24 (or 255.255.255.0 subnet mask). The new network cannot overlap AT&Ts network (default on mine was 192.168.1.0/24)

I setup the wireless name (SSID) to be xxxHome (xxx are placeholders for my initials, just my preference.)

I connected the standard ethernet cable that came with the router to the LAN interface on the AT&T router, and since then, I have had absolutely no issues with internet, wireless connectivity, or bandwidth.

The issue you will see with speedtests is that those packets are routed back inside your network to the computer initiating the test, the wireless interface is already crapping out due to wireless receivers, and with wireless operating in half duplex, your 54mbps (g/n), you only have 27mbps sustainable, and it only listens or transmits, limiting the amount of internal traffic it can handle.

AT&T could resolve this by installing an AP specifically for PCs during the installation, or adding additional wireless interfaces to their device to provide more wireless throughput due to the bad routing practices in place with their receivers.

I had this same issue, AT&T was completely useless in resolving, but the issue is that AT&T wireless receivers completely destroys the bandwidth allowed on the wireless LAN interface. I resolved the issue by installing a new wireless router.

The configuration needed is as follows on the new router, WAN interface (Internet), you will need it to receive a DHCP address from the AT&T router.

The LAN Interface needs to be setup for any internal routed IP (I chose 192.168.2.0/24 (or 255.255.255.0 subnet mask). The new network cannot overlap AT&Ts network (default on mine was 192.168.1.0/24)

I setup the wireless name (SSID) to be xxxHome (xxx are placeholders for my initials, just my preference.)

I connected the standard ethernet cable that came with the router to the LAN interface on the AT&T router, and since then, I have had absolutely no issues with internet, wireless connectivity, or bandwidth.

The issue you will see with speedtests is that those packets are routed back inside your network to the computer initiating the test, the wireless interface is already crapping out due to wireless receivers, and with wireless operating in half duplex, your 54mbps (g/n), you only have 27mbps sustainable, and it only listens or transmits, limiting the amount of internal traffic it can handle.

AT&T could resolve this by installing an AP specifically for PCs during the installation, or adding additional wireless interfaces to their device to provide more wireless throughput due to the bad routing practices in place with their receivers.

13 of 16 (7,707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2014 3:08:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had noticed that my download speed was not always what I pay for. I had called Tech support on many occaisions and even had technicians come to house check things out, find some problems, replace modems, etc. But the problem would arise again within a few days of checking again. 
I have an AT&T wireless router and a second AT&T router that feeds my wireless TV receivers. o adding a second wireless router would not make much difference if my set-up is not the same as yours. However I did get a good explaination as to why TV's disrupt internet download speeds. From 2 technicians that seemed to now their stuff between a few phone calls and questions. And it is dependent on how many HD TV streams you are watching/downloading. Every account has a 'profile' which determines the total amount of bandwith your account can consume. Mine is curently set at about 23-24 MB as far as I can guess. And that is the 'allotted' bandwidth for Phone TV, and Internet U-Verse Service. The phone gets top priority of that bandwidth, TV's second and internet last. If I have all wireless devices off, including TV's I can download a little more than 22MB's on a wired connection. However, TV's will immediately degrade that download speed. The technician that first enlightened me to this 'feature' of the system told me than any more than 2 HD TV streams being active would begin sharing my 18MB internet connection and that the maximum number of TV streams I could have incoming at once was four. In my second call I asked what would happen to my TV streams if I canceled my internet and that technician who was also savy to the TV's degrading internet bandwidth said I could still have 4 TV streams coming into the house at once, but that only 3 of them would be HD streams and the 4th would be downgraded to a standard definition stream. I also mentioned the fact that I was recently sent promo material to et even faster than the old 'max' internet package and he mentioned that yes, even though the internet bandwidth keeps growing with new equipment that the TV bandwidth has been the same the whole '7 years' he had been a tech for AT&T. It really sounds like AT&T really just needs to up the bandwidth for the TV allotment of the U-Verse Service.

I had noticed that my download speed was not always what I pay for. I had called Tech support on many occaisions and even had technicians come to house check things out, find some problems, replace modems, etc. But the problem would arise again within a few days of checking again. 
I have an AT&T wireless router and a second AT&T router that feeds my wireless TV receivers. o adding a second wireless router would not make much difference if my set-up is not the same as yours. However I did get a good explaination as to why TV's disrupt internet download speeds. From 2 technicians that seemed to now their stuff between a few phone calls and questions. And it is dependent on how many HD TV streams you are watching/downloading. Every account has a 'profile' which determines the total amount of bandwith your account can consume. Mine is curently set at about 23-24 MB as far as I can guess. And that is the 'allotted' bandwidth for Phone TV, and Internet U-Verse Service. The phone gets top priority of that bandwidth, TV's second and internet last. If I have all wireless devices off, including TV's I can download a little more than 22MB's on a wired connection. However, TV's will immediately degrade that download speed. The technician that first enlightened me to this 'feature' of the system told me than any more than 2 HD TV streams being active would begin sharing my 18MB internet connection and that the maximum number of TV streams I could have incoming at once was four. In my second call I asked what would happen to my TV streams if I canceled my internet and that technician who was also savy to the TV's degrading internet bandwidth said I could still have 4 TV streams coming into the house at once, but that only 3 of them would be HD streams and the 4th would be downgraded to a standard definition stream. I also mentioned the fact that I was recently sent promo material to et even faster than the old 'max' internet package and he mentioned that yes, even though the internet bandwidth keeps growing with new equipment that the TV bandwidth has been the same the whole '7 years' he had been a tech for AT&T. It really sounds like AT&T really just needs to up the bandwidth for the TV allotment of the U-Verse Service.

14 of 16 (6,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2014 9:16:25 PM
(0)
Tutor
The only problem is that the your line determines the maximum speed you can get, as AT&T utilizes copper wires (VDSL) with a normal max of ~25 Mbps per line. However in most newer installations they have pulled in two copper cables, so that they can bundle them up to around ~48 Mbps. Cable operators on the other hand utilizes COAX which can handle more bandwidth.
So as. I mentioned, since it's the cables capacity which limits the speed you can get (quality of cable, distance to your neighborhood switch and etc.) they can't just allocate more bandwidth to TV without pulling new cables into your house.
The only real solution to the problem with limited bandwidth on uVerse is for them to start pulling Fiber To The Home (FTTH), which they actually are in some key markets (Think it's called the Giga Project). It still baffles me how far behind we are on Internet Speeds available to the public here in the US. Most other western countries, which we are compared to, have significant broader availability of true high speed Internet >55 Mbps.
The only problem is that the your line determines the maximum speed you can get, as AT&T utilizes copper wires (VDSL) with a normal max of ~25 Mbps per line. However in most newer installations they have pulled in two copper cables, so that they can bundle them up to around ~48 Mbps. Cable operators on the other hand utilizes COAX which can handle more bandwidth.
So as. I mentioned, since it's the cables capacity which limits the speed you can get (quality of cable, distance to your neighborhood switch and etc.) they can't just allocate more bandwidth to TV without pulling new cables into your house.
The only real solution to the problem with limited bandwidth on uVerse is for them to start pulling Fiber To The Home (FTTH), which they actually are in some key markets (Think it's called the Giga Project). It still baffles me how far behind we are on Internet Speeds available to the public here in the US. Most other western countries, which we are compared to, have significant broader availability of true high speed Internet >55 Mbps.

15 of 16 (6,341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2014 5:49:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Mr. Aa wrote:

AT&T is currently installing 55 Mbps connection profiles over two-pair of copper, giving up to 45 Mbps HSI.  They are in development of other technologies that will provide much more bandwidth over two copper pair.  Fiber is not the only answer for additional bandwidth, and has higher costs associated with it.

But what the poster in front of you posted, while rambling, is essentially correct.  You have a single connection from the VRAD to your RG which carries IPTV and HSI, and IPTV has higher priority and takes approximately 6 Mbps of the connection per HD stream.  After one or two active HD streams, this will impact the available bandwidth.

Mr. Aa wrote:

AT&T is currently installing 55 Mbps connection profiles over two-pair of copper, giving up to 45 Mbps HSI.  They are in development of other technologies that will provide much more bandwidth over two copper pair.  Fiber is not the only answer for additional bandwidth, and has higher costs associated with it.

But what the poster in front of you posted, while rambling, is essentially correct.  You have a single connection from the VRAD to your RG which carries IPTV and HSI, and IPTV has higher priority and takes approximately 6 Mbps of the connection per HD stream.  After one or two active HD streams, this will impact the available bandwidth.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

16 of 16 (6,313 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments