Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 12, 2014
6:10:58 PM
View profile
service slow and intermittent

My Uverse service has been very slow and intermittent for several days now. I'm used to having an occasional interruption or slowing, but this has been going on for almost a week.  On a possibly unrelated note, I was subscribed for the 3Mbs service, and it tested as such after installation a month ago. The day after I noticed lagging service, I upgraded to the 6Mbs plan for more reliable 3D movie streaming. Now, I'm not seeing much better than 1Mbs, and .3 to .4Mbs is the norm. The service light on my modem also goes red  throughout the day. It will stay so for 20-30 minutes at a time. Speeds to seem to be the slowest from late morning to late evening. 

My Uverse service has been very slow and intermittent for several days now. I'm used to having an occasional interruption or slowing, but this has been going on for almost a week.  On a possibly unrelated note, I was subscribed for the 3Mbs service, and it tested as such after installation a month ago. The day after I noticed lagging service, I upgraded to the 6Mbs plan for more reliable 3D movie streaming. Now, I'm not seeing much better than 1Mbs, and .3 to .4Mbs is the norm. The service light on my modem also goes red  throughout the day. It will stay so for 20-30 minutes at a time. Speeds to seem to be the slowest from late morning to late evening. 

service slow and intermittent

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 6:23:57 PM
(0)
Employee
Which RG? Self install or full tech install? TV service?

The following based on self install,no TV service...
If RG is 510 , adsl2+, circuit, please post info from gateway 192.168.1.254 specifically bandwidth and SN, if SN is around 6 either line issue or too far to support 6M need to lower profile back to 3M to improve SN margin preventing lost connections/rebooting.

If have 3600 download http://www.uvrealtime.com/ and post screen shots, if RG is 5031 again use 192.168.1.254 and post information.

If a self install, not having a dedicated cat5 run from NID (network interface device) to RG could be a part of problem.
If suspect this is issue may either be a DIY project or request tech visit ($99).
Which RG? Self install or full tech install? TV service?

The following based on self install,no TV service...
If RG is 510 , adsl2+, circuit, please post info from gateway 192.168.1.254 specifically bandwidth and SN, if SN is around 6 either line issue or too far to support 6M need to lower profile back to 3M to improve SN margin preventing lost connections/rebooting.

If have 3600 download http://www.uvrealtime.com/ and post screen shots, if RG is 5031 again use 192.168.1.254 and post information.

If a self install, not having a dedicated cat5 run from NID (network interface device) to RG could be a part of problem.
If suspect this is issue may either be a DIY project or request tech visit ($99).
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: service slow and intermittent

2 of 6 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 7:20:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

This was a self install, but ATT had to provide free tech service for line issues outside my home. After he fixed some ATT network issues, I had the full 3Mbs speed and good SNR. Before I lower my plan speed, I wanted to point out that this was going on for a day before upgrading my plan. 

Here's some of the RG 510 report:

Line StateUp
Broadband ConnectionUp
Downstream Sync Rate (kbps)874
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps)766
ModulationADSL2+
Data PathInterleaved

Downstream Upstream

SN Margin          (dB)6.1     12.3

Line Attenuation (dB)50.5   30.5

Output Power  (dBm)12.3    12.1

Errored Seconds 900

Loss of Signal 00

Loss of Frame 00

FEC Errors 6600

CRC Errors1480

This was a self install, but ATT had to provide free tech service for line issues outside my home. After he fixed some ATT network issues, I had the full 3Mbs speed and good SNR. Before I lower my plan speed, I wanted to point out that this was going on for a day before upgrading my plan. 

Here's some of the RG 510 report:

Line StateUp
Broadband ConnectionUp
Downstream Sync Rate (kbps)874
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps)766
ModulationADSL2+
Data PathInterleaved

Downstream Upstream

SN Margin          (dB)6.1     12.3

Line Attenuation (dB)50.5   30.5

Output Power  (dBm)12.3    12.1

Errored Seconds 900

Loss of Signal 00

Loss of Frame 00

FEC Errors 6600

CRC Errors1480

3 of 6 (234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 7:40:58 PM
(0)
Employee
At time of posting your downstream has SN of 6.1 ( remember this is issue range/disconnect/rebooting) and downstream sync rate is 874 (.8M) and up is 766 so you cannot get more speed than what is available.

Call, chat or PM but you will need a tech dispatched to check both inside and outside.
If outside issue (tech measures low bandwidth, low SN) no charge. If OTOH good at NID inside issue is billable.
At time of posting your downstream has SN of 6.1 ( remember this is issue range/disconnect/rebooting) and downstream sync rate is 874 (.8M) and up is 766 so you cannot get more speed than what is available.

Call, chat or PM but you will need a tech dispatched to check both inside and outside.
If outside issue (tech measures low bandwidth, low SN) no charge. If OTOH good at NID inside issue is billable.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 6 (231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 9:30:27 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by secondsbest on Mar 15, 2014 at 9:31:10 AM

Multiple issues have been corrected. There was one series connections in my home that was loose. There was also some corrosion of the wiring going into the NID. A lineman was called out to make some repairs to wiring a few thousand feet up line. I was lucky that the first tech sent out had an engineer doing a training ride along. The engineer was authorised to make some repairs that the tech could not have. Also, I'm convinced my service call was more thoroughly completed due to the engineer's troubleshooting expertise. I now have 6Mbs service, but that's the limit due to distance. In all, the tech and engineer spent 3 hours troubleshooting and making repairs, the lineman about 2 hours. Overall I'm very happy with my service. 

Multiple issues have been corrected. There was one series connections in my home that was loose. There was also some corrosion of the wiring going into the NID. A lineman was called out to make some repairs to wiring a few thousand feet up line. I was lucky that the first tech sent out had an engineer doing a training ride along. The engineer was authorised to make some repairs that the tech could not have. Also, I'm convinced my service call was more thoroughly completed due to the engineer's troubleshooting expertise. I now have 6Mbs service, but that's the limit due to distance. In all, the tech and engineer spent 3 hours troubleshooting and making repairs, the lineman about 2 hours. Overall I'm very happy with my service. 

[ Edited ]
5 of 6 (169 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 8:47:40 PM
(0)
Employee
Thank you for posting final resolution, based on post, 3 problems noted.... outside line (probably tap), poor connection at NID, and an inside wiring issue. 66% ATT, 33% customer, believe not billed for corrections.

Enjoy your new 6M service and if time allows would appreciate update on stats sync and SN especially, thanks.
Thank you for posting final resolution, based on post, 3 problems noted.... outside line (probably tap), poor connection at NID, and an inside wiring issue. 66% ATT, 33% customer, believe not billed for corrections.

Enjoy your new 6M service and if time allows would appreciate update on stats sync and SN especially, thanks.

6 of 6 (148 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments