sent emails are not received

Teacher

sent emails are not received

I just had uverse tv, internet phone installed last weekend and did not find out until 3 days later that emails being sent were not being received by the other party, but they were not being returned and are in my sent email.  I have spent 2-3 hrs for the past week trying to make people on the other end that it is a problem on their end not mine.  FINALLY, they ackknowledge there was a settings issue and they were looking into it and I should hear back in 1-3 days.  Well Finally, I searched and found the pop settings for att and set my windows mail so that I can send from MY network , but not from work, friends, etc, in other words anywhere but home.  SOO< finally att called back and left a mssg that everything was now ok. 

Well partially true,  I can now send  that are re4ceived at the other end, but they take 3-4l  minutes to get there.  When I call att back, they send test mails, BUUUTTTT they do not understand that trouble shooting from my home does not show them there is stil a problem on there end

Does anyone else have this problem and if so how did you  or att fix it and how do you get to talk with someone that doesnt want to charge you $180  for special services for a year

Message 1 of 11 (720 Views)
Mentor

Re: sent emails are not received

I joined U-verse on 1-29-14. I've exchanged PM's with 3 different community leaders, I had somebody from AT&T call, (they heard I had a problem) I've called at least 10 times and talked to that many different people and while all tell me all my settings are correct and "it should work" my client email still doesn't work in spite of everyone telling me the settings are exactly as required. I get constant "server refusing connection" errors.

Conclusion: It would be far easier to get Obama's private cell phone number or the nuclear launch codes then trying to talk to ANYONE at AT&T that knows anything about client email and explain WHY their email servers refuse to accept my connection. 

The funny thing is I'm using a AT&T given email address and both that and my password work fine for email if I jump over to Yahoo's WEB BASED email. Go figure.

Message 2 of 11 (692 Views)
ACE - Expert

The AT&T/Yahoo SMTP/POP3 server infrastructure seems to be problem filled.  I think I'd avoid it.  Oh, wait... I have.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 11 (624 Views)
Teacher

The only way I could send emails was to set up pop for windows mail

It took almost a week to be able to send emails from my att account on a computer that was no my home computer.   All customer service kept telling me was that I needed to clear the cache, change the fire wall as att only is compatable with mcafee blaa blaa blaa

You cannot tell your employeer of the library etc to change firewalls or virus protection

I still have a delay of 3- 4 minutes from when I send an email from my att acct on a computer NOT at home . But when sending from home, it is almost instantaneously received by the other party.

I was told this is normal because Uverse/att is validating my email-  Is this true and how do the validate it is you on a different computer,  it does not ask any questions.

Message 4 of 11 (608 Views)
ACE - Expert

When using an e-mail client, you normally should use the SMTP server of the Internet provider.  The explosion of WebMail is partially due to the fact that it frees you from having to negotiate the maze of STMP servers as you move your client device between different Internet access points.

So, using AT&T"s SMTP servers when not connected to AT&T's network requires higher levels of authentication in an attempt to avoid allowing SPAM (etc.) to be introduced via their mail servers.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 11 (567 Views)
Mentor

"When using an e-mail client, you normally should use the SMTP server of the Internet provider"

In my case the Internet provider IS AT&T and I only try to connect with a AT&T email address and verified password  to AT&T email servers, ie Yahoo's.

If you Google: AT&T email server problems... you get endless page after page of people complaining and reporting problems yet it seems AT&T doesn't care and obviously hasn't done anything to resolve known issues reported here, to ConnecTech, via online chat and to the default help center. In fact the majority of people I talked to at AT&T tech support who's job it is to HELP customers are clueless to even what an email client is.

If as some have suggested in this forum there may be some authentication issues, that topic is not mentioned in AT&T's own help pages nor known to tech support  nor is how to set up a client email.

Message 6 of 11 (555 Views)
ACE - Expert

billy-xwow, I replied to your points a few posts earlier.

Message 7 of 11 (530 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Smug, unhelpful answers like try Gmail or a different email service (advice given to me by other ACE posters) isn't helping me or anyone else with similar problems. Those of us using some email clients have constantly and repeatedly got the run-a-around in this forum and from the very people at AT&T that are suppose to help resolve issues like this.

For the record, each U-verse package INCLUDES 10 free email accounts. This is confirmed not only in AT&T marketing materials, but also by the agent signing you up and again confirmed by the AT&T person confirming your order of U-verse services.

Saying tech support has dropped the ball on this issue is a gross understatement. I can't even get a answer as to if or not the actual issue is authentication. If true, that isn't mentioned in any AT&T help page I've found or been pointed to. Worse, the only help offered is for setting up Outlook. I guess AT&T staff doesn't understand Outlook is part of Microsoft's Office or can be obtained separately but for a fee. I don't have Office installed on my desktop, haven't for over a decade.

ISP's have no right to force customers to use particular software or to attempt to set up barriers in some feeble attempt to reduce spam on their email servers. Yes, I'm being sturborn.  WHY some might be asking. Because using Agent for about 20 years I have around 1,000 email contacts. I guess somebody at AT&T thinks I should manually enter these contacts one by one in Yahoo's web based email. No, I'm not about to do that. Besides being forced to use Yahoo's web based email you also are forced to endure the endless parade of spam advertising on that site. That's insulting.

What's upsetting me most is NOBODY at AT&T has bothered to respond, two weeks and counting. So I'm stuck in email limbo. I can't send or receive email through by email client any longer. The irony is at first I could so somebody at AT&T or Yahoo has likely messed something up on their end, yet trying to get that through to them falls on deaf ears.

Message 8 of 11 (525 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Have you PM'ed  AT&T logoU-verse Customer Service link about this particular issue?  That's your best avenue for getting an AT&T Employee engaged in your particular problem.

Supporting e-mail clients (i.e. anything other than webmail, with the possible exception of mobile clients) is something AT&T has not shown a lot of interest in.  Which is why I recommend avoiding it, but not everybody can, and not everyone wants to.

Message 9 of 11 (521 Views)
Teacher

thank you, ?someone also suggested contacting the install guy
Message 10 of 11 (492 Views)
Mentor

I have PM'ed U-verse customer service many times starting two weeks ago. Tonight I got my first reply which was a rehash of what I was told before by phone support, nothing wrong on our end... so sorry. Of course I was also told over and over my settings are correct also. I then ask why it doesn't work, the response is stone cold silence.

Since someone mentioned it a week or so ago in these forums I've asked, is CAPTCHA  authentication required? Do you know?

I further explained my client email did work on 2-1-14, and gave them proof in the form of a complete header of an incoming and outgoing email. Why it worked for just one day, then quit and I've changed nothing is the mystery and strongly suggests something is wrong on their end.

As far as using another email client the main reason I have resisted is I have close to 1,000 email contacts set up in Agent (my email client) and no matter who I switch to would be stuck with manually entering them one by one, because Agent being a application around for around 20 years doesn't support more modern bulk transfer methods to load in your contacts. So I'm stuck no matter which way I turn.

Message 11 of 11 (490 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.