Helpful Links

"TV has jumped to live TV"

ACE - Master

"TV has jumped to live TV"

This has happened more than once:  I pause live TV on a STB for a short period of time....maybe 10-15 mins.  When I unpause it and try to resume where I left off, it will jump to live TV with message saying "TV has jumped to live TV..." and then something else which I can't remember and I miss part of the program.  This does not happen on the DVR.  Just the STBs.

I know that there's a 1 hr. buffer on the DVR but what about the STBs? Has anyone else experienced this and why is it happening?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 106
ACE - Expert

Re: "TV has jumped to live TV"

This does sound like a fault that needs repair. In the meantime - did you try pressing rewind? Since it should still be in the buffer, you should be able ti back up & view the paused time. If not this needs to be included on the repair order.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 106
ACE - Expert

skeeterintexas wrote:

This has happened more than once:  I pause live TV on a STB for a short period of time....maybe 10-15 mins.  When I unpause it and try to resume where I left off, it will jump to live TV with message saying "TV has jumped to live TV..." and then something else which I can't remember and I miss part of the program.  This does not happen on the DVR.  Just the STBs.

I know that there's a 1 hr. buffer on the DVR but what about the STBs? Has anyone else experienced this and why is it happening?

Yes, something similar happened to me.  I successfully paused and rewound 20 seconds, then decided to go back a couple of minutes further and this message popped up.  The buffered content was lost and I couldn't go back past where I rejoined the live stream.

This is a result of something going wrong with the automatic buffering and/or communication between the STB and the DVR in support of this buffering.  I've only had this happen on the STB that's on Coax, and a few weeks later that STB's connection got so bad I had to go connection checking/tightening.  I've never had this happen on the STB on CAT 5e.  This won't happen on the DVR itself.

Message 3 of 106
Professor

DVR jumping to live TV

I'll be watching on a few minutes' delay, and all of a sudden, it'll jump to live TV and flash a message about "being able to accomodate recording on the DVR" and the buffer disappears, making me unable to rewind.

Keep in mind that i'm not recording anything during this time, and i'm watching on the DVR box.

I saw another thread, but now I can't find it...

Message 4 of 106
Professor

I keep getting this issue on my DVR connected via HDMI.
Message 5 of 106
Expert

It could be a corrupted file in the software of the stb.  Usually when I get anomalies like this I unplug the ac cable from the dvr for 30 seconds so that the software will be redownloaded into it.  You can try that.

Message 6 of 106
Professor

I've unplugged both the RG and DVR on separate occasions. I guess a call to Tech Support is gonna happen.
Message 7 of 106
Expert

Yep.

Message 8 of 106
Professor

The Tech Support rep just did a factory reset on the RG and DVR. Time will tell. Edit -- Nope.
Message 9 of 106
Expert

What did he/she say after they ran the test on your service?

Message 10 of 106
Professor

All lines look good. They think that doing a disaster recovery could fix it, but I have several recordings I don't want to lose. Considering other people around the country have the same issue, it makes me even more hesitant to delete recordings.

I do encourage other people with the issue to call Tier 2 and maybe we'll get it rectified.
Message 11 of 106
Professor

Is this just a DVR thing? I'm not on my STB enough in order to fully test it out for the bug.
Message 12 of 106
Expert

I haven't seen this yet.  Maybe this is advancing region by region.  It could be the side effect of another fix/update.  Just sayin.

Message 13 of 106
ACE - Master

I happened twice today on the DVR whilst DH was watching football.  The first time, it wasn't an important game (NOT the Cowboys) but I still had to explain to him that it was just a fluke with the DVR.

He said "I hope it doesn't happen during the Cowboy game" so I told him to make sure he DVRs the game and if it does, we would have some recourse.  He did, it did and the fun began.

What I found was that there was about a 2 min. 'blip' which is when it 'jumped to live TV' and when we tried to retrieve that bit, the recording would stop and I had to FF through that part.

So it's still doing it....it's doing it on the STB and the DVR and I don't like it and it {word filter evasion} DH off when it does it during a game.

Message 14 of 106
ACE - Expert

Here's a theory - I experienced recordings that would stop & could not play beyond the stop. I decided it was a bad spot on the hard drive and did not erase the next program I saw it on. Then I did not occur it again.

When I had some other repairs the DVR was replaced.

So, the "live buffer" is using the hard drive for recording to allow trick play. When you hit a bad spot it is causing the jump to live. If it is using the same area on the hard drive for all live TV you will get it often. And, you have no way to block it from new use by saving what is recorded.

Sounds like you need to request a new DVR.
Message 15 of 106
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support