U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 20, 2011
7:56:51 AM
View profile
"TV has jumped to live TV"

This has happened more than once:  I pause live TV on a STB for a short period of time....maybe 10-15 mins.  When I unpause it and try to resume where I left off, it will jump to live TV with message saying "TV has jumped to live TV..." and then something else which I can't remember and I miss part of the program.  This does not happen on the DVR.  Just the STBs.

I know that there's a 1 hr. buffer on the DVR but what about the STBs? Has anyone else experienced this and why is it happening?

This has happened more than once:  I pause live TV on a STB for a short period of time....maybe 10-15 mins.  When I unpause it and try to resume where I left off, it will jump to live TV with message saying "TV has jumped to live TV..." and then something else which I can't remember and I miss part of the program.  This does not happen on the DVR.  Just the STBs.

I know that there's a 1 hr. buffer on the DVR but what about the STBs? Has anyone else experienced this and why is it happening?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

"TV has jumped to live TV"

105 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(105)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2011 8:55:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
This does sound like a fault that needs repair. In the meantime - did you try pressing rewind? Since it should still be in the buffer, you should be able ti back up & view the paused time. If not this needs to be included on the repair order.
This does sound like a fault that needs repair. In the meantime - did you try pressing rewind? Since it should still be in the buffer, you should be able ti back up & view the paused time. If not this needs to be included on the repair order.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: "TV has jumped to live TV"

2 of 106 (4,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2011 9:12:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

skeeterintexas wrote:

Yes, something similar happened to me.  I successfully paused and rewound 20 seconds, then decided to go back a couple of minutes further and this message popped up.  The buffered content was lost and I couldn't go back past where I rejoined the live stream.

This is a result of something going wrong with the automatic buffering and/or communication between the STB and the DVR in support of this buffering.  I've only had this happen on the STB that's on Coax, and a few weeks later that STB's connection got so bad I had to go connection checking/tightening.  I've never had this happen on the STB on CAT 5e.  This won't happen on the DVR itself.

skeeterintexas wrote:

Yes, something similar happened to me.  I successfully paused and rewound 20 seconds, then decided to go back a couple of minutes further and this message popped up.  The buffered content was lost and I couldn't go back past where I rejoined the live stream.

This is a result of something going wrong with the automatic buffering and/or communication between the STB and the DVR in support of this buffering.  I've only had this happen on the STB that's on Coax, and a few weeks later that STB's connection got so bad I had to go connection checking/tightening.  I've never had this happen on the STB on CAT 5e.  This won't happen on the DVR itself.

3 of 106 (4,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 10:38:13 AM
(0)
Professor

I'll be watching on a few minutes' delay, and all of a sudden, it'll jump to live TV and flash a message about "being able to accomodate recording on the DVR" and the buffer disappears, making me unable to rewind.

Keep in mind that i'm not recording anything during this time, and i'm watching on the DVR box.

I saw another thread, but now I can't find it...

I'll be watching on a few minutes' delay, and all of a sudden, it'll jump to live TV and flash a message about "being able to accomodate recording on the DVR" and the buffer disappears, making me unable to rewind.

Keep in mind that i'm not recording anything during this time, and i'm watching on the DVR box.

I saw another thread, but now I can't find it...

DVR jumping to live TV

4 of 106 (3,875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 11:43:15 AM
(0)
Professor
I keep getting this issue on my DVR connected via HDMI.
I keep getting this issue on my DVR connected via HDMI.

5 of 106 (4,062 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 5:44:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It could be a corrupted file in the software of the stb.  Usually when I get anomalies like this I unplug the ac cable from the dvr for 30 seconds so that the software will be redownloaded into it.  You can try that.

It could be a corrupted file in the software of the stb.  Usually when I get anomalies like this I unplug the ac cable from the dvr for 30 seconds so that the software will be redownloaded into it.  You can try that.

6 of 106 (4,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 4:05:36 PM
(0)
Professor
I've unplugged both the RG and DVR on separate occasions. I guess a call to Tech Support is gonna happen.
I've unplugged both the RG and DVR on separate occasions. I guess a call to Tech Support is gonna happen.

7 of 106 (3,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 4:15:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yep.

Yep.

8 of 106 (3,972 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 4:30:46 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by kryptonite on Oct 21, 2011 at 4:33:20 PM
The Tech Support rep just did a factory reset on the RG and DVR. Time will tell. Edit -- Nope.
The Tech Support rep just did a factory reset on the RG and DVR. Time will tell. Edit -- Nope.

[ Edited ]
9 of 106 (3,963 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 4:41:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

What did he/she say after they ran the test on your service?

What did he/she say after they ran the test on your service?

10 of 106 (3,956 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 5:04:19 PM
(0)
Professor
All lines look good. They think that doing a disaster recovery could fix it, but I have several recordings I don't want to lose. Considering other people around the country have the same issue, it makes me even more hesitant to delete recordings.

I do encourage other people with the issue to call Tier 2 and maybe we'll get it rectified.
All lines look good. They think that doing a disaster recovery could fix it, but I have several recordings I don't want to lose. Considering other people around the country have the same issue, it makes me even more hesitant to delete recordings.

I do encourage other people with the issue to call Tier 2 and maybe we'll get it rectified.

11 of 106 (3,567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2011 9:09:50 PM
(0)
Professor
Is this just a DVR thing? I'm not on my STB enough in order to fully test it out for the bug.
Is this just a DVR thing? I'm not on my STB enough in order to fully test it out for the bug.

12 of 106 (3,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2011 4:33:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I haven't seen this yet.  Maybe this is advancing region by region.  It could be the side effect of another fix/update.  Just sayin.

I haven't seen this yet.  Maybe this is advancing region by region.  It could be the side effect of another fix/update.  Just sayin.

13 of 106 (3,504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2011 4:58:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by pamelaz on Oct 29, 2011 at 9:25:17 PM

I happened twice today on the DVR whilst DH was watching football.  The first time, it wasn't an important game (NOT the Cowboys) but I still had to explain to him that it was just a fluke with the DVR.

He said "I hope it doesn't happen during the Cowboy game" so I told him to make sure he DVRs the game and if it does, we would have some recourse.  He did, it did and the fun began.

What I found was that there was about a 2 min. 'blip' which is when it 'jumped to live TV' and when we tried to retrieve that bit, the recording would stop and I had to FF through that part.

So it's still doing it....it's doing it on the STB and the DVR and I don't like it and it {word filter evasion} DH off when it does it during a game.

I happened twice today on the DVR whilst DH was watching football.  The first time, it wasn't an important game (NOT the Cowboys) but I still had to explain to him that it was just a fluke with the DVR.

He said "I hope it doesn't happen during the Cowboy game" so I told him to make sure he DVRs the game and if it does, we would have some recourse.  He did, it did and the fun began.

What I found was that there was about a 2 min. 'blip' which is when it 'jumped to live TV' and when we tried to retrieve that bit, the recording would stop and I had to FF through that part.

So it's still doing it....it's doing it on the STB and the DVR and I don't like it and it {word filter evasion} DH off when it does it during a game.

[ Edited ]
14 of 106 (3,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2011 6:45:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Here's a theory - I experienced recordings that would stop & could not play beyond the stop. I decided it was a bad spot on the hard drive and did not erase the next program I saw it on. Then I did not occur it again.

When I had some other repairs the DVR was replaced.

So, the "live buffer" is using the hard drive for recording to allow trick play. When you hit a bad spot it is causing the jump to live. If it is using the same area on the hard drive for all live TV you will get it often. And, you have no way to block it from new use by saving what is recorded.

Sounds like you need to request a new DVR.
Here's a theory - I experienced recordings that would stop & could not play beyond the stop. I decided it was a bad spot on the hard drive and did not erase the next program I saw it on. Then I did not occur it again.

When I had some other repairs the DVR was replaced.

So, the "live buffer" is using the hard drive for recording to allow trick play. When you hit a bad spot it is causing the jump to live. If it is using the same area on the hard drive for all live TV you will get it often. And, you have no way to block it from new use by saving what is recorded.

Sounds like you need to request a new DVR.

15 of 106 (3,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 5:53:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Same thing happened to me but I thought it was because I had 3 HD shows starting to record while watching/pausing/FF'ing, etc. another.  This message happened at the top of the hour as the 3 shows were starting to record and I lost the buffer on the show I was watching.  Should this be the case since we only get 4 streams?  This message was on a STB. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Same thing happened to me but I thought it was because I had 3 HD shows starting to record while watching/pausing/FF'ing, etc. another.  This message happened at the top of the hour as the 3 shows were starting to record and I lost the buffer on the show I was watching.  Should this be the case since we only get 4 streams?  This message was on a STB. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

16 of 106 (3,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 6:16:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

BeeBeeSA wrote:

You would see that message if you are trying to watch an HD channel when 3 other HD channels are recording.  If you were trying to watch an SD channel when 3 HD channels are recording, you should have no problem.  Remember that the Ingress Profile, which indicates streams into the DVR, is still 1 SD/ 3 HD.

BeeBeeSA wrote:

You would see that message if you are trying to watch an HD channel when 3 other HD channels are recording.  If you were trying to watch an SD channel when 3 HD channels are recording, you should have no problem.  Remember that the Ingress Profile, which indicates streams into the DVR, is still 1 SD/ 3 HD.

17 of 106 (3,454 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 6:19:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

Today, my DVR began experiencing this same exact problem. I'm going to try unpluging it once all the recordings for the evening are done.

Today, my DVR began experiencing this same exact problem. I'm going to try unpluging it once all the recordings for the evening are done.

18 of 106 (3,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 5:24:40 AM
(0)
Professor
More and more people are experiencing the issue. I was not aware of this issue at all until a week or so ago. Makes me think it's a bug.
More and more people are experiencing the issue. I was not aware of this issue at all until a week or so ago. Makes me think it's a bug.

19 of 106 (3,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 5:52:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

kryptonite wrote:

Misery loves company.   :smileywink:

kryptonite wrote:

Misery loves company.   :smileywink:

20 of 106 (3,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 6:38:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That's what I thought TG.  This occurance/scenario is the only time I've ever had this issue.  Maybe that's why others are having this too?

That's what I thought TG.  This occurance/scenario is the only time I've ever had this issue.  Maybe that's why others are having this too?

21 of 106 (3,566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 8:09:10 AM
(0)
Professor
No. If you're trying to tune into too many streams, you get a message about needing to free a stream up. If you're a few minutes behind live, you should be able to record normally, providing a stream is available.

I've seen the message when no recordings are scheduled for a few days.
No. If you're trying to tune into too many streams, you get a message about needing to free a stream up. If you're a few minutes behind live, you should be able to record normally, providing a stream is available.

I've seen the message when no recordings are scheduled for a few days.

22 of 106 (3,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 9:47:53 PM
(0)
Traveler

Has anyone come across this on screen notice? This channel has jumped to live tv to allow tv viewing or recording on the DVR receiver.  It's a brand new stb which was sent to replace other issues.

Has anyone come across this on screen notice? This channel has jumped to live tv to allow tv viewing or recording on the DVR receiver.  It's a brand new stb which was sent to replace other issues.

On screen message

23 of 106 (3,563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2011 9:21:49 PM
(0)
Expert

I just saw it, and didn't get the whole thing, but like skeeter said, something about JUMPING; was 2 lines in a white box at the top.

I am NOT recording anything, nor watching a recording, just live TV is on.  All other STBs are off, just me and the DVR.

Went by way to fast to get a photo!

My DVR has already been replaced 3 times, and it's not even half full right now.

I just saw it, and didn't get the whole thing, but like skeeter said, something about JUMPING; was 2 lines in a white box at the top.

I am NOT recording anything, nor watching a recording, just live TV is on.  All other STBs are off, just me and the DVR.

Went by way to fast to get a photo!

My DVR has already been replaced 3 times, and it's not even half full right now.

Re: On screen message

24 of 106 (3,516 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2011 8:17:28 AM
(0)
Scholar

I just saw it last night.  I had paused live TV on the DVR to bring up the guide (no STBs active in the house, and no recordings underway or scheduled).  As I was surfing the guide, a horizontal white band appeared at the top of the screen with a message to the effect that the channel I was watching had jumped to live TV to accomodate recording on the DVR.  But the red light never came on, and I subsequently verified nothing was scheduled.  I now recall seeing this message once a few weeks back on one of the STBs, and I'm hoping it doesn't become more frequent.

I just saw it last night.  I had paused live TV on the DVR to bring up the guide (no STBs active in the house, and no recordings underway or scheduled).  As I was surfing the guide, a horizontal white band appeared at the top of the screen with a message to the effect that the channel I was watching had jumped to live TV to accomodate recording on the DVR.  But the red light never came on, and I subsequently verified nothing was scheduled.  I now recall seeing this message once a few weeks back on one of the STBs, and I'm hoping it doesn't become more frequent.

Re: On screen message

25 of 106 (3,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2011 9:46:35 AM
(0)
Professor
*knocking on wood as I say this*

I had a few recordings saved that were completely pixelated and unwatchable. I deleted them.

I set FOX to record 2 hours last night and started watching from the start of the recording about 20 minutes into the recording. When I got to a break, I FF'ed it.

NO issues whatsoever.

Take from that what you will.
*knocking on wood as I say this*

I had a few recordings saved that were completely pixelated and unwatchable. I deleted them.

I set FOX to record 2 hours last night and started watching from the start of the recording about 20 minutes into the recording. When I got to a break, I FF'ed it.

NO issues whatsoever.

Take from that what you will.

26 of 106 (3,487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 6:36:00 PM
(0)
Professor
I experienced the issue during Tuesday afternoon's service outage that a lot of people posted about. Other than that time, I have not had it.

Could it have something to do with... "if the incoming signal is borked, then it skips to live TV whenever the buffer hits a broken part of the steram".... eh?
I experienced the issue during Tuesday afternoon's service outage that a lot of people posted about. Other than that time, I have not had it.

Could it have something to do with... "if the incoming signal is borked, then it skips to live TV whenever the buffer hits a broken part of the steram".... eh?

27 of 106 (3,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 6:59:31 PM
(0)
Expert

I have a theory that it's while they're pushing the lastest TV2 Client (2.1)?

When I saw it (before 2.1), it never changed to another program, just had the popup. 

I have a theory that it's while they're pushing the lastest TV2 Client (2.1)?

When I saw it (before 2.1), it never changed to another program, just had the popup. 

28 of 106 (3,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2011 6:14:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

I had never had this problem until I hooked up one of the new wireless receivers last Friday. Now everytime I pause live tv on that receiver and start watching again it gives me the same jumping to live tv to allow watching or recording on another tv.  I decided to do a little test. I shut all the other receivers off, made sure there was nothing recording and went back and paused the wireless receiver for 5 minutes. When I hit the play button it played for  1 minute and 39 seconds before jumping to live tv. I repeated this 'test' 5 different times with varying lengths of pauses. I never made it past 3 minutes of playback before jumping to live tv.  I'm not sure what is going on with ATT lately and I hate trying to talk to their 'Customer Care'.

Another issue I have since getting the wireless receiver is everytime I watch a recorded show on it I get the little bar at the bottom of the screen telling me to press ok to view a list of recordings. Even though I am currently viewing a recorded show. If I hit ok it shuts the show off and I have to reselect it from the recorded list. Then it pops back up on the screen again. It never goes away.

I had never had this problem until I hooked up one of the new wireless receivers last Friday. Now everytime I pause live tv on that receiver and start watching again it gives me the same jumping to live tv to allow watching or recording on another tv.  I decided to do a little test. I shut all the other receivers off, made sure there was nothing recording and went back and paused the wireless receiver for 5 minutes. When I hit the play button it played for  1 minute and 39 seconds before jumping to live tv. I repeated this 'test' 5 different times with varying lengths of pauses. I never made it past 3 minutes of playback before jumping to live tv.  I'm not sure what is going on with ATT lately and I hate trying to talk to their 'Customer Care'.

Another issue I have since getting the wireless receiver is everytime I watch a recorded show on it I get the little bar at the bottom of the screen telling me to press ok to view a list of recordings. Even though I am currently viewing a recorded show. If I hit ok it shuts the show off and I have to reselect it from the recorded list. Then it pops back up on the screen again. It never goes away.

29 of 106 (3,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2011 11:08:07 AM
(0)
Teacher
I'm having this problem as of a few days ago.

Nothing is recording, I've got live TV paused and it jumps to present (loses the entire buffer). I've tried resetting it, does nothing.
I'm having this problem as of a few days ago.

Nothing is recording, I've got live TV paused and it jumps to present (loses the entire buffer). I've tried resetting it, does nothing.

30 of 106 (3,324 Views)