"TV has jumped to live TV"

ACE - Master

"TV has jumped to live TV"

This has happened more than once:  I pause live TV on a STB for a short period of time....maybe 10-15 mins.  When I unpause it and try to resume where I left off, it will jump to live TV with message saying "TV has jumped to live TV..." and then something else which I can't remember and I miss part of the program.  This does not happen on the DVR.  Just the STBs.

I know that there's a 1 hr. buffer on the DVR but what about the STBs? Has anyone else experienced this and why is it happening?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 106 (7,098 Views)
Expert

Re: "TV has jumped to live TV"

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

I experienced this issue twice under the 2.0.x firmware. In my two cases, it was similar to what has been described -- I was watching live TV that was delayed via the DVR's buffer, and then during a DVR operation (in my case it was during FF/Play to skip commercials), the buffer disappeared and the viewing returned to live TV with the "TV has jumped to live TV" message.  As a result I lost the portion of the program that had been buffered.  Both of my instances occurred on the DVR unit, not on an STB.

I have not seen this issue again since the upgrade to the 2.1.x firmware. 

My experience has been the same.  It happened to me several tilmes while watching live TV that I had rewound.  The buffer was cleared when the message was received, and I missed part of the program.  I have not seen it happen since receiving the last firmware update.

Message 91 of 106 (2,025 Views)
Professor

I'd say you two guys were lucky. I have 2.1.2295.10 and still get the issue. I have the VIP 1225, if that means anything.
Message 92 of 106 (2,023 Views)
Contributor

Yes this sucks.  It happens to me all the time.  3 times in the past hour.  every time I have an issue I'm sick and tired of being told "unplug, reset, restart, reboot, etc.  What's the point of paying att for this crap.  Customer support is no help.  tech coming to my house replaces stb. and nothing gets fixed.  dumping ATT on Monday and gong with another provider

Message 93 of 106 (2,004 Views)
Professor

Not going to respond to the above person. He said he's already gone, so what's the point? Hopefully he leaves his new provider at the first sign of trouble.
Message 94 of 106 (1,986 Views)
Professor

For those of you with the problem, do your other STBs work as expected, or do they have issues?
Message 95 of 106 (1,932 Views)
Contributor

Stops recording live TV shows

Every so often when I'm watching a live TV show (I'm not recording it, or recording any other shows),  I'll get a message (can't remember the message), but it will delete what I was watching.

Is this because my DVR is full or what?

Message 96 of 106 (1,906 Views)
Expert

Re: Stops recording live TV shows

[ Edited ]

Here is a link to a thread about this issue.  I think it is the result of an update/upgrade being rolled out regionally.  Especially since it has been experienced in certain regions and not across the country at the same time.

[link removed as thread was merged with linked topic] -moderator

Message 97 of 106 (1,903 Views)
Professor

Yay for moderating. Why not just lock the new thread and make a new post with a link to the longer one? Threads get really difficult to read when every so often, it's another "first post"... only you have to stop and think that it's NOT a first post, but a merged one.

To anyone with the issue -- Call Tier 2 and let them know of the issue. Call frequently. The more heck you raise, the quicker they'll realize an issue exists.
Message 98 of 106 (1,888 Views)
Expert

When we were seeing it here (not showing up for weeks now), the message popped up on any/all TV boxes (and no matter if coax or Cat5).

kryptonite wrote:
For those of you with the problem, do your other STBs work as expected, or do they have issues?

Message 99 of 106 (1,846 Views)
Expert

I have only seen it once, and I don't mind that at all.

Message 100 of 106 (1,840 Views)

I'm glad to report that after occurring about twice a day during the month of Nov, since late Nov/early Dec it may have happened once. Same system info as when it was really bad, so don't know what may have changed. That being said, I'm afraid I can't agree with 'not minding even one such episode'. We've been watching paused programming when this happens, lost the entire paused portion, and can never watch again because it was the only broadcast. No, either a system works as advertised and paid for or it needs fixed. I think that may have happened.

Message 101 of 106 (1,783 Views)
Teacher

Was the true culrpit ever figured out? DVR version? TV2 version?

I'm getting this pretty much every time I pause TV on my STBs (one Coax, One Wireless which is a recent replacement from ethernet) but my girlfriend's mom won't let me do a reset on our DVR because she'll lose the soap opera and Oprah finales that she'll never watch again.  

Message 102 of 106 (1,676 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

I was watching the Angles-Rockies game today and I was busy when it started.  I was running it about 45 minutes behind "live" when this happened on the Cisco 7500 --  "Jumped to live TV". Nothing else was being recorded.  Lost all channels and had to do a "reset".  Missed 2 innings.  No, big deal but . . . U-Verse does not always work as advertised, but then, lots of stuff doesn't always work as advertised these days.

Message 103 of 106 (1,648 Views)
Explorer

[ Edited ]

So the last entry in this thread is over a year old, the link to another thread was removed. Is there another discussion on this problem or do people assume it's either fixed or never will be?

We switched to U-verse about a month ago and have now seen the problem once or twice a day for the last three days. In all cases it's occurred when rewinding or pausing the buffer from the VIP1200 in the bedroom, the DVR is a VIP2250 in the living room. Both units are networked via coax however there are also two wireless devices, we haven't seen the problem on the 2250 or the ISB7005's - in fact they're not on at the time. There are no recordings going on at the time and there's about 70% free recording space.

I've rebooted all devices a few times over the last month for other issues, but not in the last three days. Any suggestions on where to go for troubleshooting further? (I will reset everything again, though my girlfriend's getting tired of that). Thanks.

Message 104 of 106 (1,088 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

AudioHTIT - reset may or may not solve the problem. But, I think it is important to do it in sequence.
Remove power from all - RG, DVR, STBs,WAPS
Repower RG - Wait for all green
Repower - DVR - wait for channel playing.
Reboot - wired STBS
Reboot wireless WAPS & STBs
Hope it works for you.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 105 of 106 (1,080 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.