Explore & discover

Helpful Links

"Facilities issue"?

Voyager

"Facilities issue"?

Hoping someone on this board can help or maybe has seen this issue in the past.

I scheduled an installation for yesterday, 7/16.  I was informed last Friday (7/12) that there was a facilities issue and that the installation is postponed.

I waited until today, 7/17 to follow up.  I have spent time on the phone with AT&T customer support and the local AT&T Store Manager, and no one has been able to get any information to me on an estimated time to complete.  This is especially confusing since it is an apartment complex where many if not all residents have AT&T services and none of them are experiencing a service outage.  Furthermore, the apartment I have just moved into has clearly had service before and is not new.  Reading other testimonials online does not fill me with confidence, and hearing the customer service representative quote me a time of anywhere between 5 days and 2 weeks just to get the installation rescheduled doesn't help.

I have PMed ATTCustomerCare.  Has anyone had this issue and how long did it take to fix?  It's 2013, Internet is an essential service for conducting personal business.  How does AT&T just not inform the customer when they'll deliver a product that was ordered?  What kind of business practice is this?

Message 1 of 8
Expert

Re: "Facilities issue"?

jgupta11 - A facilities Issue means they cannot find a spare (unused) cable pair or circuit board in the VRAD to use to provide your service. All those others that you mentioned used them all up.

Should att know that for your case, & others like it?? It would be nice, but probably not practical. It starts with the advertising that is seen by so many who cannot get U-verse & works its way down to placing a specific order. Some cases simply cannot be resolved until working the order. Not fun when you really want the service & there is a roadblock.

Send a PM to attcustomercare using this link to see if they can get you any more concrete info, at&t seems reluctant to be too specific so as not to disappoint. B Ut, it is up front disappointment when nothing seems to be happening.

http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773
Message 2 of 8
Voyager

As I said in my original post, I have PMed ATTCustomerCare.

While this may explain the problem, it does not mitigate the fact that AT&T has failed to provide an estimated time to complete.  Why did they wait until 7/12 to inform me?  Why was no one able to explain what a board contributor knows?

It is not an unreasonable expectation to have enough boards or cables in a VRAD to cover every unit in an apartment complex.  The buildings are generally fully occupied.  This constitutes failure in both customer service and planning for future capacity.

I believe AT&T representatives cruise this forum: I want this escalated and resolved, or I will go with another provider who knows their business.

Message 3 of 8
Voyager

I feel your pain. We are experiencing something similar but we ordered service on May 23 it's now July 18 and we still don't have an estimated completion date. Absolutely ridiculous. We've had ATT in the past and love their service, we've recommended it to many people but I have never experienced this horrible of customer service!!
Message 4 of 8
Employee

If issue is no available port to provide service then someone must cancel their service either by moving or simply not wanting the service anymore.
As no rep can tell you when someone is canceling they cannot tell you when to expect install.

Each location has x number of cards, each card supports 48 accounts so 4 cards equal 192, over time if ports have failed the number of connection available decrease.
Only engineering could say if box is at capacity, or more cards could be added, or cards with bad ports would be replaced, this is outside of scope of normal support and needs customer care involvement but I would not expect a short time frame, there are reports of DSL (old school) accounts waiting three years for someone to move just to1.5 m internet in rural communities.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 8
Voyager

Wrong answer.

If no ports are available the correct action is to expand capacity by installing more cards and to keep the customer informed of a timeline.  The reason you do this is so that the customer can make an informed decision to cancel his order if it will take too long to connect service.

Since no one from AT&T's customer service has been forthcoming or appears to have an interface with these mythical "engineers", let me lay out how a real business would deal with this issue in a series of steps, since I cannot draw a workflow in this forum:

1. Inform the customer of the real reason for the delay

2. Provide an estimated timeline for corrective action

2a. Obtain a lead time for the part from the supplier to arrive at the local office

2b. Schedule a technician to install the part

2c. Commit additional resources from supply chain and engineering such that you will adhere to the timeline

3. If the timeline is not acceptable to the customer, propose compensation: waive fees or hardware costs

4. If the customer still wishes to terminate service, do so with all possible speed such that the customer can go with another provider.

5. If the customer agrees, and you miss the timeline, waive fees as compensation.

6. Get your customer service and/or supply chain managers to thank me for defining their job for them.

You are now racing against Comcast to install my service.  Good luck!

Message 6 of 8
Community Support

Hi jgupta11,

I just wanted to check in and let you know that we received your private message and one of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 8
Scholar

Personally I'd just have Comcast install the service and decide to change later if AT&T contacts you.

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support