Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 23, 2013
6:21:11 AM
ping times?

I recently added AT&T Uverse for internet, but I still have TW internet connected so I can compare.  With TW, I can get ping times around 9ms, but with Uverse I'm seeing 45ms.  Is there any way to decrease the ping times?

I recently added AT&T Uverse for internet, but I still have TW internet connected so I can compare.  With TW, I can get ping times around 9ms, but with Uverse I'm seeing 45ms.  Is there any way to decrease the ping times?

ping times?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 6:25:38 AM
(0)
Employee
Uverse uses interleaved, will not approach those pings unless on FTTP.
Uverse uses interleaved, will not approach those pings unless on FTTP.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: ping times?

2 of 3 (196 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 6:48:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

U-verse VDSL ping times will be 10 to 15 ms higher than otherwise due to the interleaving used to increase error correction capabilities.

However, 45 ms vs 9 ms is more than that; traffic could be taking a less than optimum route from your home to the server.  You could do tracert's both ways to see what is happening.  While it could be the TW just has a more attractive peering arrangement for this connection than AT&T does, if there's an obvious problem you can ask AT&T to look at it.

Post your tracert's if you'd like.

U-verse VDSL ping times will be 10 to 15 ms higher than otherwise due to the interleaving used to increase error correction capabilities.

However, 45 ms vs 9 ms is more than that; traffic could be taking a less than optimum route from your home to the server.  You could do tracert's both ways to see what is happening.  While it could be the TW just has a more attractive peering arrangement for this connection than AT&T does, if there's an obvious problem you can ask AT&T to look at it.

Post your tracert's if you'd like.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: ping times?

3 of 3 (189 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments