Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 18, 2014
8:18:43 AM
View profile
moving in same area code -- why can't I keep my phone number?

Hi,

I am moving within the same area code and I filed a change of address with ATT online.  I got an email that said to call because more information was needed.  When I called, someone told me I would need to choose a new phone number because of a "different wire center."  Again, this is within the same area code and the building manager of my new apartment said my new building is wired for UVerse.  The person I talked to said someone from another department would call me back within 2 business days.  I asked to speak to this department right away, but apparently, that was impossbile.  So I am waiting for the call back.

Anybody know what this is about?  I really don't want to change phone numbers.  Is there any way I will be able to keep my current phone number?  Thanks.

Hi,

I am moving within the same area code and I filed a change of address with ATT online.  I got an email that said to call because more information was needed.  When I called, someone told me I would need to choose a new phone number because of a "different wire center."  Again, this is within the same area code and the building manager of my new apartment said my new building is wired for UVerse.  The person I talked to said someone from another department would call me back within 2 business days.  I asked to speak to this department right away, but apparently, that was impossbile.  So I am waiting for the call back.

Anybody know what this is about?  I really don't want to change phone numbers.  Is there any way I will be able to keep my current phone number?  Thanks.

moving in same area code -- why can't I keep my phone number?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 9:28:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Mar 18, 2014 at 9:36:20 AM

Zafferd - How much do you want to keep it? The phone numbers are wire center based & you are moving to a different wire center. It has different exchange numbers - - the three numbers after the area code.

If you want to keep your number, see if you can get a virtual FX. When the current number is called, it is routed to the new one.

Zafferd - How much do you want to keep it? The phone numbers are wire center based & you are moving to a different wire center. It has different exchange numbers - - the three numbers after the area code.

If you want to keep your number, see if you can get a virtual FX. When the current number is called, it is routed to the new one.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: moving in same area code -- why can't I keep my phone number?

[ Edited ]
2 of 5 (259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 10:30:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks ACE.

Now I understand, the person I talked to told me it was a different area code.  Now I understand it's a different exchange number.  What are the pros and cons of a virtual FX?  Does it cause bad connections or other problems?  If so, I might have to bite the bullet and get a different number. Thanks.

Thanks ACE.

Now I understand, the person I talked to told me it was a different area code.  Now I understand it's a different exchange number.  What are the pros and cons of a virtual FX?  Does it cause bad connections or other problems?  If so, I might have to bite the bullet and get a different number. Thanks.

3 of 5 (247 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 11:20:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Mar 18, 2014 at 11:25:06 AM

Zafferd - I do not know details. Only the possibility.I do not know if it is even available for your case. I would expect a charge. It is essentially one way - The caller can reach you with the old number. It is the same magic that allows you to keep your number when you change providers. There should be no technical difference in the quality of the call.

I think it was introduced back when there was a lot toll charging. You may have elected to pay on a flat rate or a per call basis. Now, with most services including toll calls,you would be paying something for having two numbers that ring the same phone.

A similar implementation is a WATS(800) number.It is attached to your local number & calls to it are routed to your local number. But, that requires a new 800 type number.

Now I think of another ting you can do - Keep the old number & set it to forward calls to the new number. You probably cannot have this without the proper physical address. Essentially, that is what a virtual FX would be. A method to make the case fit the billing system.

Zafferd - I do not know details. Only the possibility.I do not know if it is even available for your case. I would expect a charge. It is essentially one way - The caller can reach you with the old number. It is the same magic that allows you to keep your number when you change providers. There should be no technical difference in the quality of the call.

I think it was introduced back when there was a lot toll charging. You may have elected to pay on a flat rate or a per call basis. Now, with most services including toll calls,you would be paying something for having two numbers that ring the same phone.

A similar implementation is a WATS(800) number.It is attached to your local number & calls to it are routed to your local number. But, that requires a new 800 type number.

Now I think of another ting you can do - Keep the old number & set it to forward calls to the new number. You probably cannot have this without the proper physical address. Essentially, that is what a virtual FX would be. A method to make the case fit the billing system.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 5 (237 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 11:50:09 AM
(0)
Tutor
OK, Thanks ACE.
OK, Thanks ACE.

5 of 5 (233 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments